SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 550 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Animals
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I found the story about the elephant twins very exciting! What is even more interesting is that it is the third pair of twins born from the same group. How well did the previous pairs adapt? If I remember correctly the one died of a previous twins.

Please keep us up to date on the cureent two's proceedings.

Post subject: Re: Elephant twins
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:58 am 
Guru
Guru

wildtuinman wrote:
I found the story about the elephant twins very exciting! What is even more interesting is that it is the third pair of twins born from the same group. How well did the previous pairs adapt? If I remember correctly the one died of a previous twins.

Please keep us up to date on the cureent two's proceedings.

You can read the full story on our website (http://www.sanparks.org currently under Latest News on our home page) or click on this link:
http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=30

Danie Pretorius
Manager: Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Post subject: Elephant twins
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:13 am 
Guru
Guru

The two previous sets of twins were born in October 1998 and May 2003. In both cases, one of the twin died at about two months of age, after gradually losing condition. This was due to the mother not being able to produce enough milk for two calves.
However, we are hopeful for the survival of both calves as they are in good condition at present. The mother also has much food available as we were fortunate to receive rains in December/January.
There has been a case in the Kruger National Park where twins were born and are now about 3 years of age, having survived the critical first two months.
By:Megan Bradfield
Social Ecologist
Addo Elephant National Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
How are the twins doing?

Post subject: Zebra foal
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:02 pm 

When we were in Addo in jan 2005, a zebra died on one of the roads, seemingly from colic? Unfortunately the zebra had a young foal. Does anyone know what happened to this foal?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:19 pm 
Guru
Guru

The foal was captured and moved to our bomas, where it is being hand-raised.
Over time, the foal will be gradually weaned and desensitised to humans and then released into the park, where it will hopefully integrate into a herd.
Normally, conservation staff would not interfere in the course of nature, but this Burchell's zebra is part of a group selected for their plain rumps for the Quagga breeding programme and is valuable in that regard.
Megan Bradfield
Addo Elephant National Park

Post subject: Lions
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 am 

How are the lions that were introduced (I can not remember exactly when but seem to think is was around mid 2003?) to the park doing? Do any of them have cubs yet?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:54 am 
Guru
Guru

All six lions - two females and four males - introduced in October 2003 are in very good condition. They are all hunting regularly, taking kudu, buffalo, red hartebeest, warthog and ostrich.

The male lions seem to have formed two coalitions, with a pair of males in the central area of the park, and another pair in the southern region of the park. The two lionesses are separate but associate regularly with the males (or the other way round!).

The older lioness has, we think, given birth twice, showing signs of pregnancy and lactation. However, on both occassions, the cubs obviously did not survive - due to being killed by male lions or spotted hyenas, we assume - as she came into oestrus again after a few weeks. As you may know, male lions will kill cubs that they know they have not fathered, in order to stimulate the female to come back into oestrus so that they can hopefully mate with her and produce their own cubs.

The progress of the lions, as well as their prey and habitat selection is being monitored by a researcher. He is also monitoring the eight spotted hyenas, released in 2003 and 2004.

Megan Bradfield

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:42 am 

Thanks a lot for the info Meg, I really hope that the next cub will be able to survive.
In June/July last year we saw 3 male lions in the cenral area of the park, so I assume that was the one group and another set of spoor in the Gorah loop past Carols Rest (this looked like it belonged to a bigger lion)
Will defnitly have to go back and see if I can spot all 6 this time. :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 am 
Guru
Guru

The twins are still in good condition and both suckling. The next month will be critical in terms of whether they both get enough milk from their mother and maintain condition.

Megan Bradfield

Post subject: Addo: More variety..... is this possible?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:17 am 

I am a regular visitor to the Addo Elephant Park. There is one observation though that I have not been able to get an answer for......

Surrounding game farms and parks have a much bigger variety of animals than Addo itself. I am refering to animals like impala, blesbuck, girrafe, blue wildebeest, springbuck and lately even nyala. Why is this???

I assume its to do with the control of disease. It seems like the above mentioned animals have adapted quite well to their surroundings. Have they occurred in the area before man appeared on the scene?

One other issue:- I have to agree with Bushman on the gate times in summer months. It will be much appreciated if and extra half an hour could be added in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 am 
Guru
Guru

National Parks, including the Addo Elephant National Park, have a policy of only introducing species that would have occurred historically in the area. Thus, historical records are consulted before any new additions are made. This ensures that we are conserving a natural ecosystem, that is as close to the natural system or biome as possible.

Giraffe, impala, white rhino, blue wildebeest, nyala, waterbuck and blesbuck (to name a few) did not occur in this area before human settlement and therefore should not be introduced.

Introduction of these species would also have a negative impact, ecologically speaking. For example, if you introduce nyala in an area where bushbuck naturally occur, they will be in direct competition with the bushbuck as they choose the same habitat and food species. This will lead to bushbuck numbers dropping drastically.

Some of the species mentioned above are not suited to the habitat we have here. For example, giraffe need medium to tall trees to feed off, of which there are few in thicket vegetation.

Unfortunately, many visitors do not realise that when they visit private game parks/reserves in this area that stock the non-indigenous (locally) species mentioned above, they are not experiencing a true reflection of the wildlife and nature of this area. We hope that visitors will become more informed in the future and thus be able to choose to visit the parks which do promote a natural ecosystem.

Megan Bradfield

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:08 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Megan!
I usually have lots to say on the KNP forum, but what you said got me interested. I've never been to Addo. What kind of animals, excluding the elephant, do occur there naturally that you wouldn't find in KNP?
Regards
Santie (Guinea Pig)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:21 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Santie,
There is a great variety of wildlife in Addo, as we have five different biomes in the park, now that we have expanded. You can find a full species list on our website www.addoelephantpark.com

To mention a few, you would find lion, spotted hyena, buffalo, black rhino, ostrich, eland, red hartebeest and Burchell's zebra in the main game area. In the Zuurberg mountain section, we have leopard, mountain zebra and mountain reedbuck. In the Darlington Dam section, where you find the nama karoo vegetation, gemsbok, springbok and black wildebeest. In the Alexandria forest, the rare tree dassie occurs. That is not to mention all the smaller mammals and birds that occur!

Addo is definitely worth a visit!

Megan Bradfield

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Springbok Santie! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next