Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spider: Baboon
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Golden brown baboon spider (Augacephalus breyeri)

Order: Araneae
Suborder: Orthognatha
Cohort: Hypodemata
Family: Theraphosidae
Subfamily: Selenocosmiinae
Group: Harpactireae
Genus: Augacephalus

Old name: Pterinochilus breyeri. Augacephalus is a new genus created for both species in 2002 by Richard Gallon.

Description
Theraphosids are large, bulky and hairy with a body length of 13-90 mm long with the average spider measuring 20-50 mm. They have robust non-tapering legs and the pads or scopulae setae under the "feet" allow them to walk up the smoothest of surfaces - even glass.

General
The golden-brown baboon spider occurs from north-eastern South Africa northwards to Ethiopia.

These spiders are called baboon spiders due to their hairy appearance and the black scopulae pads on its "feet" resembling the pads on baboon feet. They are often incorrectly referred to as Tarantulas, a name usurped by the American species from the European wolf spider (family Lycosidae) Lycosa tarantula.

Description and habits
All South African species are terrestrial occurring in underground burrows or scrapes under rocks. The scrape is lined with thick silk, which is attached to the rock and keeps out troublesome insects such as ants. At night, the burrow dwellers can be seen with their front legs and eyes showing at the entrance of their burrows as they wait for unsuspecting prey.

Females usually stay close to their retreat while the males, once mature, roam freely looking for a mate. So the ones you will find roaming around are most likely to be male.

The most dramatic feature of these spiders is the black fangs that can exceed 6 mm in length and are parallel to each other (paraxial). The fangs are set into the jaws (chelicerae) that project forward (porrect). These spiders are black and hairy underneath (ventrally) except in the region of the fangs where the hair colour rnages from orange to a pink/red tinge. During an attack, the forelegs are raised in aggression, exposing the fangs and the orange and black colouration. Dorsally the colouration varies enormously ranging from black, various shades of brown and shades of copper and cinnamon. The abdomen can be plain or marked with spots or chevrons.

The eight eyes are arranged on the carapace on a central tubercle set back slightly from the anterior (front) edge of the carapace. This is called the clypeus and if there is no clypeus, one can be assured that the spider is not a theraphosid but another family instead (either Barychelidae, Cyrtauchenidae or Nemesiidae). All mygalomorphs have two pairs of ventral booklungs that operate on the principle of infusion rather than the more efficient system of inhalation. These spiders are therefore not very active and tire easily.

In other spider families, the males are easily recognised by the expanded ends of the palps where the sperm-carrying organ, the embolus, is situated. The expanded palp ends are not that noticeable in male theraphosids but males can also be recognised by the less bulky abdomen and by a tibial spur situated ventrally on the distal aspect of the tibia of the first pair of legs. The spur is not obvious as it is concealed amongst long hairs (setae) and rather resembles a pointed brush. The spur is used to restrain the females' fangs during copulation.

Propagation and Lifespan
The female lays 30 to 180 eggs but very few survive the 7 to 10 year maturity period. Unlike the true spiders, the araneomorphs, the mygalomorph females continue to moult after reaching maturity and can live for about 25 years. The males live for only about 6 months after maturity and therefore it is of no consequence should the females consume them.

Due to the slow maturity rate and high mortality of immatures, the collecting of baboon spiders is strongly discouraged, as this has led to the decimation of populations. They do not make ideal pets as they are inactive during the day and move around very little even at night. Once the novelty of scaring ones friends has worn off, most spiders in captivity eventually die of dehydration, stress from handling and sheer neglect.

Defense
As mentioned above, theraphosids are harmless to man although the bite is painful and mildly neurotoxic. If bitten, one will experience an intense burning pain in the region of the bite where two red blood spots will develop from the fang punctures. There will be no evidence of discolouration and swelling.

(Main) source: Iziko Museums of Cape Town

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Posted by etienne in the New Orpen Gate topic:
Quote:
'Krugerpark Times vol 3 issue 2'

By Melissa Wray
In Kruger National Park

Things are looking positive for the relocation of the Orpen Gate, with seemingly only two stumbling blocks left in the path of the creation of a more streamlined visitor experience at the Orpen entrance to the Kruger National Park (KNP). On the cards for several years, the original plan of creating an entire new gate about 7km south of the existing gate has been transformed into the creation of two new entrances, now officially documented in the environmental impact assessment (EIA) scoping report.

(...)

One other project identified in the EIA that has to take place before construction begins will be the relocation of golden brown baboon spider burrows. An intensive search will be made in a 60 by 100 metre area, and all the burrows found will be relocated to help conserve this protected species. Total budget for the two gates and additional services comes to about R1.2 million, from environmental affairs poverty relief funds.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: SPIDER
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:38 pm 

Hi there would like to know if this is a baboon spider and if it is dangerous. Found it in our bath on wednesday released it back into the bush it had a red mouth
Thanks Cindy Bothasig Cape Town

Post subject: Re: SPIDER
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thats a big spider and it must be big and strong as it ate up all the peanut butter
But honestly I have noi dea what it is
Glad you let it loose into the bush.

Post subject: spider again
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:25 pm 

here is another pic of the spider in the bath need to know what it is and if dangerousImage??

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes, it looks like a black Baboon Spider.

It has a painful, but not a dangerous bite.

The females tend to be sedentary, so it was possibly a male. They are active hunters, stalking about at night.

Good for you for releasing it! :clap:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:04 am 

It's a mature male Harpactira sp. who was out looking for a female. Have a look at the front legs. From the photo you can see the tibial spurs which the male uses during courtship. The male hooks these spurs under the females fangs.

Our Theraphosids or "Baboon Spiders" are not particularly venomous. They do have large fangs which can cause a painful bite. Their venom causes bee sting like symptoms ie pain. There is one species called Harpactirella lightfooti which was reported to be highly venomous, however there is no physical evidence, research or doctors report to confirm this claim.

Post subject: Re: ID spider - very little info im afraid
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:16 am 

Hi Dave
Hmmm... Male spiders develope a totally new outlook on life when the moult for the last time and become sexually mature. It's during this last stage that they turn up in strange places, places that are not "normal" for that Genera\ Family\ species. There is a spider by the name of Olios sp. that is Lime green, would sit on a wall head down, no silk but it very, very, very rarely sits in the open on a wall. However, males being males I cannot discount it.

It's impossible to identify this spider for sure, but if you put a gun to my head I'd go with Olios sp.

Kind regards
Jonathan

Post subject: Re: Spider id needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 am 

FAC Member (2012)
Can someone please id this spider for me?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BGS, I'm not an expert, but it looks like a Baboon spider to me, also known as a Tarantula outside South Africa? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:49 am 

Agree with TheunsH, Baboon Spider
but more specificly(if I googled correctly)

Genus AUGACEPHALUS (starbust spiders)
This genus was described earlier this year (Gallon, 2002) and is endemic to Southern Africa. It is represented by two species that occur in the Northern and Eastern parts of South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. The generic name refers to the prominent, radial markings on the carapace of the spiders.

Post subject: Re: Golden brown baboon spider (Augacephalus breyeri)
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:59 pm 

Just a quick one .... Who's helping with the relocation of the Golden Brown Baboon Spiders at Orpen? I'd be more than keen to help if need be.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would also be more than keen, had to relocate one from the washing basket for the SO this morning. :whistle:

It is great that Sanparks are looking at the small things, makes us all feel good about their efforts & the work of the peeps like yourself Donald. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:42 pm 

Looking for any spider collection to view Augacephalus breyeri and Augacephalus junodi. Does anyone have a good live or dead specimen? Also looking for any info on burrows in these spp?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Got a lot of live ones every night buddy, just pm me. :thumbs_up:

All three specie, posted on another thread, cannot remember where. :thumbs_up: :cam: