Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Harry Wolhuter
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:53 pm 

Hail to the forum

I have a strange request and hope someone might be able to provide me with more information. As a child I received a lion's claw nail from my grandmother. She told me a story of how my grandfather, then a policeman, received it from a game warden from Kruger park to thank him for helping him after a lion attack. The nail was set in gold. I kept it and after my first visit to Kruger many years later I saw the story of harry Wolhuter and how he was attacked by a lion. I am now very curious as to if these two stories can be related.

Does anyone out there know perhaps more about this, for example to which people did Harry Wolhuter give tokens of thanks. Co-incidently my Grandpa was also a Kruger.

Regards

Takhaar

Post subject: Re: Harry Wolhuter
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:57 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums Takhaar! :yaya:
They could be related indeed, in which case you have a very rare claw!

Looking forward to some answers here....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you, Takhaar. :D What a wonderful momento of your grandfather's courage. Do you know more about him?

It would be well worthwhile to try and get a copy of Harry Wohuter's book, "Memories of a Gameranger"

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This story rings a bell ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Takhaar. ---Welcome to the boards :D 99% they will be the dew claws. Dew claws were often kept by big game hunters as far as I know. The dew claws off the Wolhuter lion were given as a gift to someone but I cant remember who. Phone the Stevenson Hamilton Memorial Library in Skukuza and they will be able to tell you who they went to.Im pretty sure I remember a name on the story which is 10 paces away from the desk. So maybe just ask? Phone 013 735 40 30 and theyll put you through or give you the number. :D --

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart, mind and soul on an early morning drive close to Satara, unfortunately the body is in CPT!
I know that Harry Wolhuter gave the doctor who treated him one, not sure who else were the fortunate recipients.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 am 

Thank you to everyone who replied. According to the story my Gran told he gave a claw to everyone who assisted him, not only to the doctor. My grandpa apparently helped him on the way from Komatipoort to another hospital. I have read his book, but he do not give much detail on the people who helped him from Komatipoort onwards. I have asked at the library at Skukuza but they could not help me. I believe that the claw is from him as the story my gran told is very much the same as the one in his book and in Skukuza library. The best part is that it is mounted in gold. It really is something I treasure.

Regards

Takhaar

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Takhaar, (you're not perhaps a member of the Rolling Stones? 8) )
Fascinating story indeed. Have you ever visited the Wolhuter site where the lion attack took place?
Might be a good idea to post a photo of the claw on the forum!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I took this picture on foot along the Mets Metsi spruit , from the description in Harry Wolhuters book - "Memories Of A Game Ranger" the position I was standing at must have been very close to where the actuall attack took place .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 am 

I tried to send the photo of the lion's claw, hope it gets through.

Regards

Takhaar

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You might be interested to know that Wolhuters grandson is still involved with conservation and about 2 years ago he had a blog where he was reporting on a wild dog pack, in Zambia I think? He is also the "star" of a couple of National Geographic documentaries about hyenas. You might be able to track him down with this info and he might be able to help you Try this website
http://www.kimwolhuter.com/

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 pm 

I have made contact with Kim. He do not have any more info than me. I know my Grandfather was stationed at Barberton and that is where Harry Wolhuter was taken after the attack. I presume that it might be there that oupa helped him.

Regards

Takhaar

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 pm 

Hello Takhaar

My little boy (now 5) absolutely love the tale about Harry Wolhuter. I will show him the lion claw - see if I can print your photo out for him to take to school. They are going on a trip to the Kruger and I suggested to the teacher that each child have to find out something about the Kruger to tell the other children. This is the best way for them to learn. You have a wonderful momentum to keep in your family.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:36 pm 

Hi Lolliepop

If they go to Skukuza they must visit the library and museum, because there is an exhihibition of the lion and the story of Harry Wolhuter.

Regards

Takhaar

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 am 

Today, 107 years ago Harry Wolhuter stabbed and killed the lion!!!