Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Upgrade time Bye Bye Canon 450D
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry to hijack but there is something that I need an opinion on please. As I said above, I am just about to pull the trigger on a Canon EOS 70D. At one time I was thinking that full-frame (EOS 6D) would be the best option but from what I read, it's speciality is not wildlife or nature photography. And also, it is quite a bit more expensive.

But anyway, now I am looking at lenses for the 79D and what I see a lot is that a whole bunch of lenses (Canon and Sigma) specify that they are designed specifically for full-frame EOS cameras. But they are compatible with the non full-frame models. So, what is the trade-off here? Do I get a picture severely underexposed or cropped or what?

Also, waht aperture should I try and go for? I do understand that the lower the number specified, the more light that lens is capable of gathering. But in practical terms, at what point does this become an issue?

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi moobox

There is an enormous amount to consider here. Perhaps start by reading the gear discussion for photography on page 2 in my TR for my upcoming KTP trip. http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=74478&start=15

I have the 6D. It is superb. It is light and has amazing picture quality. I use it for portraits, in my studio and landscapes. Also, in low light it is really handy as you can push the ISO up 4 stops higher than my 1D4.

The question of what body depends greatly on your choice of subjects. if you like small birds, then you really should go with a crop sensor, like the 70D (gives all lenses 1.6 times more focal length without increasing the minimum f you can use). Also, the AF on the 70D is amazing whereas it is a little slow on the 6D making bif more of a challenge. Also, fps is vital for all wildlife, but even more so for bif.

In terms of lenses, the reasoning you have been given is not right. An EF lens is rated as a full frame lens as it can actually be used on FF whereas EFS can only be used on crop bodies. In terms of stops and exposure etc, no, a specific EF lens on crop vs FF is not relevant, that is down to the camera settings.

Once you have decided what your subjects are, I can advise on lenses, this is big money.

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks John. Yip I remember seeing your thread but I couldnt find it. See, I am not a photographer. But I want a decent camera with which I can do as much as possible. Seeing some reviews of the 70D, they seem to think this is quite a darned revolution - why? I dont know but seems like it will fit into my requirement quite nicely. I was thinking of getting a 650D but then thought maybe spend a little extra and go for the 70D with the 18-135 STM lens. And then buy a Tamron or Sigma zoom. And maybe get a tele converter as well.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi again moobox

If you are looking for an allrounder at a decent price, I would go 70D. If budget is a little tight, perhaps a 60D (have this and find it very underrated as I really enjoyed it - now my SO's weapon of choice as it is fast and light with sufficient function for the avid but not pro photographer). Until you are serious, I would not fork out for full frame.

In terms of lenses, please do me a big favour, many of my avid friends fell into the trap of regularly upgrading their kit. Rather sit and think what you want and then live without it until you have saved enough, no matter how much enough is. Buying a lens you don't really want but feel it is the best you can afford now is silly as a year later you want to upgrade but now have too much money tied in a lens you don't like anymore (that said, I bought a secondhand 500 f4 mki when I really want a 600 f4 mkii, but lets face it, some dreams are more than a year or 2 away). Also, the better the lens, the better the secondhand value.

Please post what your normal subject/style is and I can advise on some lenses (perhaps also give a general price guideline). I have used a number of the past few years and have helped from some budgetless to penniless friends make choices on fit for purpose kits.

John from MxM

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks MxM
OK, some good direction there. In terms of hanging on with the lens as well. I'm pretty set on the 70D and I think I'll go with the bundle with 18-135 STM bundle. As you recommend, I am going to hang on a while. I was pretty interested in your 50-500 Sigma lens and thought that I could even get an extender to bump it up a bit. But you know what, I think that I may as well get myself a little more educated as far as the lens tech and spec goes before committing to something.

As far as what my subject matter is likely to be, it would involve a monthly trip over to Marievale. An occasional trip to nature reserves and then to KNP and KTP as well. So, for the most part, birds and animals.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:04 pm 

Moobox,

I think MxM is spot on with his lens advise. When I first purchased my old 450D I purchased a cheap Tamron 70-300mm lens for about £100 in 2008. I then did a lot of research and also testing. Go to camera shops and speak to the guys behind the counter. Read up about lenses. But be sure that the expensive lens you buy is one you'll want for a long time and not as an in between step to the actual one you want. Also see if you can rent or borrow a lens before you buy one.

To this point I acquired a Canon 100-400mm. It's a lens I'll use for a long time.But it took me some time to decide. IT is a lit that fits my uses. Make a choice that fits your purpose.

I found www.dpreview.com very useful as far as reviews go.
Here is a link for rentals of you fancy the option. http://www.odprentals.co.za/?page_id=58 Rather spend R200 for a days rental and then know you want the lens or not,than spend way more and then realise it;s not the lens for you.

Happy hunting and keep us updated. :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam: :cam:

Next trip is in the planning phase........

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the advice John and Riaan. Listen, now you ojkes got me all fidgety and I'm waiting a while to see what my mind does over the next week or two. But I'll tell you how my thinking has been up until now. I want a reasoably decent camera. And I arrived at the 70D from scouting around on DPReview. And then I'd like a bit of lens power to go with it. But really, for the use that I am going to put the camera to, spending over 100,000 is just going to be insanity. Well, maybe not for some but certainly for me it is going to be. And that is why I have been thinking that I can get by with a Sigma or a Tamron which will do the job. Maybe not with the pinpoint result and the same ease, but I have seen some shots taken by people and they look like they might just be OK for my happy snap collection. And you know what? At soem stage in the future if I want to get something like that, then I can do it. Another thing is that I think I'll pop over to the local camera club and see what the guys over there have got to and have got to say before I get anything.

Cheers - Ed