Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: camera for travel
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm 

I am so confused by what's out there for cameras. I am coming to SA for 2 weeks and and hope to get some great shots. I am an amateur and want to buy the best camera for safari. Most people seem to like the Nikon camera but the posts are mostly regarding DSLR types. Are there any really good Point and Shoots or should I try to learn to use a DSLR? Help!!!

Post subject: Re: camera for travel
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 am 

Justbarb
Have a look at the Canon SX10IS / SX20IS / SX30IS cameras
Depending what part of the world you live in may depend on what is available.
The SX30IS is the latest model, however you might find an earlier model discounted.
They are a superb series of bridge cameras (point and shoot), easy to use and gives great results.
Enjoy your trip
Regards
JDW

Jun/Jul - Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Tofino, Inside Passage to Alaska and the Rockies.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

and this just in from another thread..... 8)

Subject: Travel

Dabchick wrote:
Hi justbarb! Welcome to the forums :D

I agree with the other replies.

It's likely to be somewhere between warm, hot and very hot in March. Probably dry, sunny weather most of the time, but the possibility of rain (especially thundershowers) can never be excluded (especially not this year).

Thus - mostly cool clothes: t-shirts, shorts / capri pants, swimwear if you like to swim, sandals etc. One or two long jeans and a warmish (e.g. light fleece) jacket should suffice. A rain jacket may be useful if you don't like being rained upon while dashing between the bungalow / car / toilets at the picnic spot etc :lol:

Regarding a camera, first answer this question:
Do you want to get into serious photography and spend a lot of money for professional equipment?
If YES: then go for a Canon / Pentax / Nikon DSLR camera and be prepared to spent some serious dosh on a telephoto lens (at least 400mm is essential for wildlife photography).

if NO: go for a nice superzoom camera such as Nikon Coolpix P100, Fujitech HS10 or HS11, or Pentax X90 (There may be newer models out - this list comes from about 6 months ago when I was in the market for a superzoom camera). Canon may arguably the best when it comes to DSLR camera's (or at least one of the best), but it doesn't have a superzoom that measures up to the 26x to 30x optical zooms (equal to > 600mm SLR lens) of the cameras listed above. It's much lighter and one can get decent wildlife photographs without spending serious money. The only problem that I have with my Nikon P100 is that it doesn't have manual focus (the other listed all have), which can be a problem with the subject is small (such as a malechite kingfisher), and the background is noisy (e.g. reeds) - the autofocus doesn't always focus on the right thing :roll:

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in SA! 8)

:D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

DSLR is better, but makes for a lot of stuff you have to transport during flight.

Really good point and shoot cameras do exist though. I recently bought a Fuji FinePix S1700HD for my mother in law, and she got very nice photos with it after little practice.
The Panasonic FZ series is good too, several of those went on to win in the photo competition here.

You need to look at cameras with optic (not digital!) zoom reaching about 400 mm at least, but plenty offer that, and at good prices.
At that length a dslr-like model is most likely easier to handle than a flat camera (telephone model) due to its form. I would prefer a model with a viewfinder, not only a screen, but that is probably personal and habit.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:17 am 

I am down to the Nikon Coolpix P100 or the Panosonic Lumix FZ40. The Canon SX30IS is close but what should I buy. This is my trip of a lifetime (so far)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:41 am 

Hi justbarb;

I'll declare at the outset that I'm a huge Canon fan; and have been for decades 8) but I'll try to be objective...

Here are three links. They're for reviews of each of your choices at a well respected site; DPReview;

Canon SX30IS ; http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091 ... .asp#specs
Nikon D100 ; http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond100/
Panasonic FZ40 ; http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072 ... mcfz40.asp

(Sorry; newbie on the forum and I can't figure out how to embed links right now :redface: )

I've had poor experiences with Panasonics; so would not personally consider that; and (IMO) the specs for the Canon outstrip that of the Nikon...

You do need to consider that the longer zoom range you use, the less image-quality you will get at the long ends with these bridge-cameras; but they are a good cross-over between a Point & Shoot and going the full hog to a DSLR.

You will also need a spare battery (make sure you re-charge the day's used battery each night) and lots of SD cards. I would NOT buy a single large-capacity card, rather 2 or 3 4Gb cards - and shoot on the highest image quality available on the camera!

My reasoning behind that is safety in the (admittedly highly unlikely) event of card-failure, and also against loss of the card. If you lose a single card with everything on - it's all gone! But that's just me :)

Anyhow, I hope that helps...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Barb, EOS_User isn't completely right... The Panasonic Lumix series is a very good camera, check the link in my signature. Many photos from that series were the better ones, or even the best.

The links he gave are good though, they will tell you a lot about the cameras. I just have one to add:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/F ... _s1600.asp
This is an older model, if you walk around on DPreview you'll find newer ones. But it compares to the one I bought and was very happy with. The zoomrange is what you need, the quality of the photos was good, and because it has the DSLR look it is easy to handle, especially at long zoom.

I'm not sure what your finances are like, but you could also look at it's big new brother which has even more zoom.

There is an option on that site that may help you: compare cameras.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 am 

R 3,500.00 is not a bad price for such a camera at all. :big_eyes:
Thought it would have been more seeing as what it could do.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Mik 'n druk (point and shoot) is fast becoming very good indeed. Many even shoot in Manual mode, in RAW and so on. And weigh 1/10th of our DSLR's...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 am 

I have an fairly old Pentax Optio50, but that thing keeps impressing me with the great photo's it takes.
The zoom range is very short, but the quality of photo's are impressive.