Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: D300s or D7000?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its starting to get to that time of upgrading again. I have a Nikon D80 and I love my camera but as we all want to do is have something better.ok been to 2 shops and tested the D300s :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I want it I want it then I phoned my friend at nikon SA and he said go for the D7000 thats going to be launched 2 Nov according to him.Lenses I have got Nikon 18-135mm Nikon 70-300mm and Sigma 150-500mm.I love the speend of the 7fps of the D300s and the feel of it and the sound when you take a pic.But also heard the D7000 will be cheaper than the D300s.

Know I want some of your advice.
What would you recommend or do?

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Post subject: Re: D300s or D7000?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The D7000 looks like an amazing camera.
Have you considered a 2nd hand D200 or D90? Probably cheaper than either of the others and still an upgrade.

When I read about the D7000 I started to get very itchy...

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:21 am 

Hey there big5spotter,

Good question. Depends on what you are looking for. Both cameras are nearly identical. The D7000 has higher megapixels, but the D300s has less pixels per square inch (A good thing for quality).

Personally I would go with the D300s, but that's because I own one. The quality of the shots I can achieve on it is not really much better than my old D70, or any other Nikon out there, but the strong point of the D300s is the ease of use. The access and speed when changing settings is phenomenal thanks to the design of the menus and additional switches and buttons on the body.

Going for the D7000, it has better HD video capabilities. True HD (1080) and better AF when taking videos. Something I found is not the best on the D300s.

Either way you're making the right choice (Nikon). :mrgreen:

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm 

To my knowledge the D7000 is going to be a complete new camera in the sense of sensor wise. Most of the current futures find on the D300s will also be on the D7000 accept for some performance issues( D7000 39 focus sensors, 4sps comparing to D300s 7fps with MD10 battery grip and 51 point focus sensors) The current DSRL’s of Nikon are using sensors that have been made by Sony. The D7000 is Nikons first own sensor for Digital DSRL and according to rumors out there, D4 and D800(both FX-full frame) and the D400(1.5crop-DX)also going to have Nikon sensors. The D7000 was only released about 2 weeks now in the US and there are a lot of back-orders, meaning the Pros doing reviews are struck ling to get there hands on them. Now according to Thom Hogan(with according to 80% of Nikon users have the best reviews and user guides for Nikon cameras) who also just started testing the D7000, the D7000 is the best low light performance DX format DSRL he have tested. He also tested Sony and Canon and he says this camera is the best in that regard. If I were you, I wait for a month or two and see what the pros think of it. That if you can. If you want to wait longer the upgrade of the D300s is dew May 2011(D400)

PS: you can read the reviews of all the Nikon body’s, lenses ,flash and more on he website at www.bythom.com. He is one of the best writer on the web for photography out there.

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:24 pm 

Greeting from a cold and wet England.
The professional advice I have received is that the D7000 is a far better camera than the D300s and will also be cheaper.
The video particularly is a vast improvement.
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:34 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Actually I would recommend the Canon EOS 7D, but that would be offtopic. :whistle: :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 pm 

:big_eyes: Canon EOS 7D, et tu DuQues?

:twisted: You're too late, We got this one hooked to Nikon DuQues!

JDW, Did the professional mention specifics when saying the D7000 was a better camera? Other than video of course and higher megapixels (which is debatable).

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 am 

Good day BushNuts,

There is no proper review yet only specifications on it. Like I said the pro’s only got there hands on it in the last two weeks and it will take a month before there will be a proper review available. Current frets tend to that the D7000 is better in low light conditions than D300s. Look it in this way..

If you an photo enthusiast- amateur photographer the D7000 will be good for you. Most of the control you can set to Auto and let the camera decide with is the best settings.

If you are a amateur- pro photographer the D300s is better as you have more control over the settings. But bare in mind you need to have same understanding of settings to get good results other wise you can get frustrated.

Difference between n consumer an pro photographer is never the camera but you as the shooter. If you going to shoot most setting auto you going to get 30 to 40% good photos were as n pro under stands all the elements and shoot manual and get it right 80-90% of the times

So question is do you shoot manual or Auto most of the time?

Like the pro says…..D300s leans pro and D7000 leans consumer and that is not because one is better than the other but the way you shoot as one you can control more than the other.

Read the 2 reviews below and then you get an idea what I am talking about

http://www.bythom.com/nikond300review.htm
http://www.bythom.com/nikond90review.htm This is the D90 review. Bear in mind the D7000 replace this and this review will give you idée as to what the D7000 will hold in.

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:01 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

BushNuts wrote:
:big_eyes: Canon EOS 7D, et tu DuQues?

Yep! And I'm blown away by it's lowlight performance, as well as it's superfast focussing. 8)

If I look at these two cameras side by side there isn't much difference between the two. Most important are the ISO ratings, and the D300s has a frame more per second.
Maybe the focussing system on the D7000 is better than before, but the tests will have to show.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c