SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey guys

I would just like to ask you people for some constructive criticism on some of the photographs i have taken just so that i may learn from the mistakes i may be making or some of the things i'm doing right.

any advice would be helpful!

Thanks
Timbo

www.flickr.com/grieselt

Post subject: Re: Advice
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

maybe i posted this in the wrong forum.....

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Timbo, there is already a thread for photo criticism Here!!

Last edited by Micetta on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:06 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Nope, right forum! ;)

I'll have a look on monday. I'm using my phone now, so not seeing it easily.

How about linking to what you think are the best and the worst of those photos, explaning why you think they're that?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

timbo: I don't have time to go through all 200+ images, but had a look at the first couple of pages...

Make more use of the basic rules of composition: Rule of thirds and golden points.
Draw two horizontal and two vertical lines in your viefinder whith your imagination to divide it up in thirds, then place things along those lines and on the intersection points. Animal eyes are usually an easy one to place on an intersection point.
Then clipping ears, beak-tips and tails should be avoided. If it can't be avoided then get a little more 'creative' with the composition and rather clipp it completely to benefit the composition then just clipping the tips. Give the animals space to move into. Don't place the nose tip right on the edge of the image, leave some space infront of the animal and less space behind it.
Try to avoid shooting animals nearly completely covered by vegetation, when waiting a few seconds will give you a clear shot. Like the Giraffe shot. Giraffes don't usually disapear quickly after you spot them and stop the vehicle, like some other animals. Spend a little more time and wait for the 'nice' shots.
Good wildlife photography takes a lot of patience.
With the Hornbill series, I would have composed with less of the back of the head or top of the head (depending on the angle) and rather gotten the tip of the beak in. Except when you compose creatively and go for a shot focussing on the eye and then crop "most" of the beak instead of just the tip.

There are quite a few where your composition is making use of the basic rules, just try and keep it consistant throughout.

Zebra: Picture 018 : Rather dont clip mouth and ears. Turn the camera and do a portrait shot instead of landscape and you'll get the ears and mouth in.

Zebra - Uploaded on Sep 9, 2009 - is really not a good shot: even post processing cropping won't improve this shot, because the mouth is clipped as well as the ears.

I know it might sound only like negative comments, but thinking about composition will drastically improve your pics. I don't know if the ones that are nicely composed was thought about or just 'lucky' point and shoot.

My advice would be... Instead of racing through the bush trying to photograph as much as you can spend a day or to to just focus on improving your composition by thinking about it. When you encounter animals that look like they won't be racing off, switch the car off and don't rush yourself to shoot of as many images as you can. Spend some time to 'think' about the composition of each image. Think to yourself... don't clip noses, ears, beaks, unless I'm doing it very specifically for creative effect. If I can't get the shot horizontal, will a vertical maybe work??? Draw those third lines in your mind through your viewfinder and experiment with placing things on the intersections or on the lines, especially eyes on intersections and horizons on the lines.

Then after each image, look at it on the screen and see if the composition worked and if you missed something that you did not notice through the viewfinder, then go for the next pic.

The more you practice this, the better your composition will get when you do just pick the camera up and just shoot... Because your brain is then putting all those things into place in a split second.

But most off all... Enjoy being in the bush :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

timbo: you can read up more about composition here:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=7382

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know this might not be the correct topic for my request but i'm desperate so please bear with me and don't laugh.

I have a sigma 170-500mm lens and want to have it service. The only place i can find is down in Cape Town far from Randfontein here in Gauteng can any body help me. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Please PM me

THANK YOU.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As far as i know, the company who bring sigma into the company is called tudor and there main offices are in cape town but distribution centre in in Kempton Park, you'll have to speak to them directly although you should be able to take it into your local camera store who stoke sigma and they should be able to send it in for you, may cost a little extra, and keep you informed on the progress.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Do you maybe have more detail about them can not find anything on the internet.

Thanks

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Um I'll have to see what I can find