Skip to Content

Stealing photos / Copyright mark

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
big5spotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Stealing photos / Copyright mark

Unread postby big5spotter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi guys and gals got back from KNP today after 11 awesome nights.I want to know what can I do so that my pics wont get stolen and used by other people?Except taking bad pics :twisted: I have heard that water marks can be taken out by a IT/photoshop geeck.

Any help?
'When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Scipio

Re: Stealing photos

Unread postby Scipio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Duco had a good thread to this buddy, but I had a certain Johan Bester steal a pic of mine off this forum & he won a compitition with PhotoFirst. So it does happen.

Oops. the spelling is bad. :redface: :redface:

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 pm

I think the best way is to embed a copyright in the metadata along with all other info. That way if someone does attempt to steal your image for a competition they will have a very hard time as to delete the metadata would not be an option because as far as i know competitions like that must see the meadata.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

big5spotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby big5spotter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:14 pm

I know scipio just cant find it.I am no professional but took some stunning shots and just scared they steal it.Scipio I will steals your :cam: anyday :lol: :lol:
Thanx for advice so far.This trip really put a spark into my photography and the Sigma 150-500 performs leke.Thinking of doing another photo TR so will see.
'When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey, your 150-500, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but I can set my cam with copywrite on the picture file.(Dunno what you call it) But there are some scaly blokes out there. Just get on with the TR though. :dance:

Switchback

Unread postby Switchback » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:08 am

Hi B5S,

Glad you has success with your Sigma! :thumbs_up:

Normally with photo competitions they ask for the High Res version if you go to the finals or win or whatever, so if you load very low res photos on the forum, it makes it a bit harder, but still probably not fool proof...
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

There is no fool-proof way.

So resize them to 800 pixels on the longest side (which not by accident is the max for posting here), and resample them this way. Which makes them nice and small, and speeds up browsing in a major way.

And splatter a copyright into it. Not really at the side, as it can be cropped away then, but straight through the photo.
A good person with Photoshop can however repair it...
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Tembe & Kgala

Unread postby Tembe & Kgala » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:38 pm

metadata is the key :clap:
and you will easily prove you were the owner then

H. erectus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby H. erectus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Metadata, care to explain pucelou?
It cannot be made more or less for that matter but it can be altered to suit.- The universe.

Tembe & Kgala

Unread postby Tembe & Kgala » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:09 pm

you can set your camera to put a copyright on the pictures , in the internal settings of the camera itself.
your pics will be accompanied by "metadatas" , which are basic infos about , aperture , focal length , date, time etc... and : a name , your name , as the photography owner. :dance:

wikipedia:Metadata may be written into a digital photo file that will identify who owns it, copyright & contact information, what camera created the file, along with exposure information and descriptive information such as keywords about the photo, making the file searchable on the computer and/or the Internet. Some metadata is written by the camera and some is input by the photographer and/or software after downloading to a computer.

H. erectus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby H. erectus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Sounds interesting pucelou, thanks for the info.
It cannot be made more or less for that matter but it can be altered to suit.- The universe.

michel367

Copyright of pictures

Unread postby michel367 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Of and on we have had reports of people/ companies stealing, because that is what it is, photo's of some extremely good photographers off this site.
As Hippo-fan demonstrated with one of Sprocky's pictures a watermark or trademark is not nearly enough and can be removed with some simple handlings in a matter of minutes.

To embed copyright details in the Meta Data of your pictures seemed to be the key, but after some googling I have found some free programs with which you can even change that. :big_eyes:

So now for the million dollar question.

How on earth are we going to make sure that our pictures are not going to be pirated from this site?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Copyright of pictures

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:26 pm

In short: not.

So what you need to do is make theft less attractive. With copyright notices, resampling them to really small photos (like in the first post of the 2010 competition), and of course not posting them large. But you can't anyway.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

michel367

Unread postby michel367 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:03 pm

So you basically have to mame your pictures in order to prevent anyone to use them.

That is like buying a new car and then make it look like something from a Mad Max movie in order to prevent car thieves to steal it. :wall: :wall:

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 pm

It's a crazy world we live in!! :evil:
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”