Skip to Content

How many pics do you keep?

Share and discuss your images (strictly SANparks related)
Switchback

Re: How many pics do you keep?

Unread postby Switchback » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm

madach wrote:I never use DVD's as I shoot too many pictures to store on DVD's. My entire archive is close to 2TB now....

I store 1 Wedding per DVD, it does fit on a Dual Layer DVD - keeps it nicely organised in a shelf in my safe.

Looks like we all sort of follow the same pattern and that we keep most of our pics and not only our top rated ones as all pics are important to us and tell their own story. It also seems if all has caught on about how important it is to make back-ups as Hard Drives DO fail, Memory Cards DO fail, things DOES get lost / stolen - not very often, but it can happen.

Not only do I back-up my photos on my laptop and on external hard drives, but I also keep them separate. If a thief steels my laptop on a trip some how, my external hard drives are maybe under my seat or in another location = pics still safe! :wink:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

NickyG

Unread postby NickyG » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 pm

I have a 450D canon, so my 12megapix. result in an average of 8-10mb each, after teh raw conversion.

I have an external hard drive of 500gb, and two internal drives which when I need, I just switch off and move teh SATA cable. These total another 500gb.
I also backup to DVD all teh *.RAW pics I have to dvd.

I have opnly been doing photo taking for 2yrs now, so Im nowhere near 2terabytes!!
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

Switchback

Unread postby Switchback » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:00 am

NickyG,

You'll be surprised how quickly one actually fills the space... My recent KTP trip alone was over 40GB alone... Do two trips like that a year and other photo taking during the year and you're over 2 TB! :big_eyes:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby anne-marie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 am

I keep almost all... 90%
I have 1,5 TB memory on my new PC, an external 1,5 TB to assure...
and 2 x 500 Go for storage....
and a lot of CD and DVD... before the big hard drive...
oh la la... it's so difficult to throw away :?
in case of an emergency... I will save Safran, papers and photos.... :whistle:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

TXDrifter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TXDrifter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:23 pm

I keep almost all the travel photos that I bring home. However I do delete about 25% of my photos while still on the road.

Like anne-marie I have a 1.5 TB hard drive on a new PC. I also back up all my files on line with Carbonite. In addition I have unlimited uploads to my website, currently about 20,000 photos. :cam:

Return to “SANParks Camera Club”