[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Nikon P100
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am 

And once again, Nikon takes the cake with it's P100 Super Zoom! :clap:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:49 am 

Switchback wrote:

The only reason these days I can think of not to go for a DSLR is because of size and weight.

I'm struggling with the decision of what camera to buy too. I'm leaning toward a pns like the Nikon P100 or Canon equivalent instead of DSLR. The main reason is the cost effective zoom capability. I'm not afraid of DSLR settings, etc. But to go to anything higher than about 200mm in telephoto capability requires a massive $ outlay for a lens. Even then the size of the thing is enormous. If DSLR could get good zoom for much less cost and much less size and weight I would go for it.

Or am I missing something. Do any DSLR's have a 400m or 500m lens that is lightweight, small, inexpensive and has an f-stop of 4.5 or less? In my research I can't find any.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 am 

jhawktx - I'm have been looking at the same options as you for some time. Find the same problems with SLR as you. I looked at the Nikon P100, Fuji equivalent (great zoom) and the Canon sx 20IS. Did some homework and a few photographers I spoke to all said the Canon is the better choice. I must say all of them tried to pursuade me to buy go the SLR route, but have opted for the pnt. Its going to be the Canon SX20IS for me.
Would be interested to know what you decide.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 pm 

Years ago I was an avid bird watcher. This is before digital. I carried around my neck a Canon A-1 with Tokina 400mm f5.6 lens. I took many thousands of bird pictures and walked many, many miles with that setup. But at this point I'm telling myself I should throw in the towel on that approach since these new ultra-zooms have come out. Sure the glass in them is not as good as the DSLR's but they seem to be good enough. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in quality for ease, convenience, weight, size, and $.

Admittedly when we get to Kruger if I take a closeup picture of a lion with the ultra-zoom, fall in love with the picture, and decide to blow it up to a size big enough to wallpaper the wall in my bedroom the lion will not look as sharp as I would like. So be it.

Last year Canon came out with their current ultra-zoom in August 2009. I'm waiting to see if they come out with another new release in August 2010. So I'm waiting to see if that does indeed come out and, if it does, how does it compare to the Nikon and others.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:04 pm 

When I started this blog I was as confused as you are now. Please read the post and link submitted by Switchback. It should settle your question. I bought the Nikon P100 and have yet to try it in Kruger(Sept. 14/24). I think the small picture quality is insignificant in that who's going to blow up the picture to wall size? Most of us have snaps for a scrapbook or view them on our computors. Read Wilbanks post on the P90. I think Switchbacks on his father-in-law's indicisions.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:06 pm 

Switchback wrote:
And once again, Nikon takes the cake with it's P100 Super Zoom! :clap:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

Actually placed third behind the Canon and Panosonic models :hmz:

They are all however great choices :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Being a poorly-paid parastatal (not SANPARKS :| unfortunately )-employed botanist, I cannot afford a true D-SLR. Well, maybe the body of an old model (like a Canon 350D or 1000D), but not the lenses.

So I also looked into the so-called bridge or superzoom cameras (note, not point and shoots! - these cameras have almost SLR functionality and zoom).

Did some research and read many reviews, and looking at especially tele-zoom (I wanted an optical zoom of at least 600mm equivalent), shutterspeed (of either 1/4000 or 1/3200 (nothing slower)), preferably manual focus as well as auto focus and priced below R5000.

Came up with the following models as fitting my requirements:
Pentax X90
Pental X70
Fuji Finepix HS10
Fuji Finepix HS11
Nikon Coolpix P100

The Canon Powershot SX20IS came out below the lot listed above as it only have a tele-zoom equivanlent to 560mm, and it didn't have any extra functionality to make up for this, so it was off my list.

Have just bought the Nikon P100 last weekend and has already taken nice bird pictures in my garden. :)

Will test it properly on my soon-upcoming first-ever Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park trip :D :D :D :D , and will include pics in my trip report....