Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Big Mistake
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 pm 

While in the kruger National Park 2009 Aug/sept Ihad some amazing sights which will never be forgotten due to stupidity. :redface:
I didnt want to put these photos on this site as there are amazing pictures on this site, but I hope it will make people more aware not to be in such a rush and make sure your cameras etc are always right....as these sights I will probably never ever see again :cry:
This photo of leaopard was taken in one quick rush as we drove past the leopard without seeing it :redface: and hubby saw it in rear view mirror we were all looking far out in the bush and not close to the road. :roll: First big mistake look everywhere all the time. so the photos were taken in one rush before he went into the bush .....Not nice at all!~! :evil:

Next big mistake left my camcorder with back light on during the day most of the photos are too light,terrible, we saw elephants frolicking at lake panic near Skukuza I was so excited and I didnt want to miss any action so I never checked any of my camcorders settings I took videos and photos from the camcorder and it was all a mess. A litttle voice said stop and check my camcorder but i was to scared I was going to miss something ... bad mistakeT

These photos were also taken at a bit of distance so the pixels is not right

Post subject: Re: Big Mistake
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Evening safari bug,
I fully understand your feelings but you are not the only one who has done it.
I still regret a lot of views lost during the many years passed in the bush, nearly all because of the rush and so on, and now try and do things very calmly.

How many pythons killing an impala, or lion killing a cheetah, or warthog chasing a lioness, or elephant giving birth am I going to see again?? You're in good company and certainly not the only one. Good lesson for all your future trips to the parks!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 pm 

Thanks, been going to the Kruger National Park for many years. Still making the mistakes, still learning from the mistakes.It s a sad lesson to learn :cry:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Don't feel bad, this happens to everybody.

I've had numerous occasions in the past where I've buggered up photo opportunities because my camera was set to the wrong settings and I didn't check in the heat of the moment. I seem to be learning from my mistakes though as this now only happens once or twice every trip :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

One hard lesson Ive also learnt (the hard way) when you finish shooting always immediately reset your settings to your standard settings, you always have time when you have finished shooting to do this process taking as much time as you want but you never have enough time when you come accross a sighting. Make this a hard and fast haqbit of your photography and you will get 99% of your shots at opportunities.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:07 pm 

Yip, I totally agree with Wingman! :thumbs_up: Especially when you have changed critical settings such as ISO, exposure and even shooting mode. As default, when I put my camera back in it's bag my settings are:

ISO 200, AV Mode, Apperture wide open, EV -0.3, IQ on RAW Format and WB on Auto

So in short, with those settings, I can pick up my camera and shoot immediately in most situations and I know I'll have the shot. From there I can only improve / adjust for optimum IQ.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well driving on the road close to lower sabie getting a big lion male next to the road moch storming us and just clicking the camera button 10's of times. Getting back to camp realising you have never put in a film. This was when we only had a film camera. Till today the SO is not happy with me.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Switchback wrote:
ISO 200, AV Mode, Apperture wide open, EV -0.3, IQ on RAW Format and WB on Auto

If you're shooting RAW then the WB setting is not important.

You mention -0.3EV as a default setting. Why is this, does you camera overexpose in AV mode? In digital photography it is recommendable to, as long as you don't blow the highlights, over expose rather then underexpose. A digital SLR has a dynamic range of around 5 stops. When working in RAW mode most cameras record a 12 bit image. A 12 bit image can record 4,096 (2^12) tonal values. One would assume that the recording of tonal values would be evenly distributed between the 5 available stops. If this was the case then each stops range would be able to record 820 (4096 / 5) of tonal values. Unfortunately this is not the case. The recording of tonal values is not evenly distributed among the stops. Most of the tonal values are recorded in the first (and thus brightest) stop. This stop can record 2048 and thus half of the available tonal values. The reason for this behaviour is caused by the design of the CCD and CMOS sensors. These sensors are linear devices and as each stop records half of the light of the previous one it follows that about half the tonal values will be recorded in the first stop.

1st stop 2048 levels available (Brightest tones)
2nd stop 1024 levels available (Bright Tones)
3rd stop 512 levels available (Mid-Tones)
4th stop 256 levels available (Dark Tones)
5th stop 128 levels available (Darkest Tones)

If you look at this table then you'll realise that if you don't use the 1st stop that you'll lose the recording capability for half of the tonal range. This means that by underexposing by 0.3EV you effectively lose tonal values in your image.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:51 pm 

Madach,

There is a few reasons I under expose by 1/3, I have been tutored by a few top wildlife photographers and I follow most of their expert advice and experience from the field. No, my camera definitely do not over expose in AV mode, but I basically force it not to over expose. Actually, in digital photography, you can save darker bits, but overblown bits is forever lost, so it is actually better in Digital Photography to under expose just a tad. On face value, if I compare two images of mine, one shot 1/3 under exposed and another on 0 Exposure Value, you have to really bring in a gigantic big magnifying glass to see a tonal difference. Also, with 1/3 under exposed, my shutter speed is just a tad faster as well which is great for wildlife photography.

I've put in Auto WB as I actually do not shoot in Auto WB when I do Wedding Photography. While you're correct that when shooting in RAW it doesn't make a big difference, it's just that I've got a special technique I use when shooting portraits etc. When photographing weddings, I put my WB on 5000K. I then take a shot of my White Balance card which has got different shades or "warmths" of white on it. Every time the light or scene changes, I take a shot of the card again. In post processing, I then have an absolute and constant WB value for every scene and it creates a marvelous perfect constant colour balance throughout the album.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Switchback,

Your WB workflow makes a lot of sense, it definitely speeds up the workflow of post-processing.On the exposure I don't agree with you. It is my experience over the last couple of years that underexposing in digital photography is worse than overexposing. With overexposing I don't mean overexposing by such an amount blowing the highlights because then the shot is ruined but overexposing so that the colour histogram is evenly distributed (the 'expose to the right' method). In my experience under exposing in digital photography introduces noise while overexposing and correcting the overexposure in post-processing provides better images.

I suppose everybody has their own way they set up their shots and as long as you're comfortable with that method and the results that you're getting are good then there is no bad method.

M.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:32 am 

Madach,

I must say that you have definitely challenged me with something to keep an eye on. My histogram is definitely important to me to get all the mid tones correct, especially with portrait photography.

Yip, nobody will use the same piece of equipment the same, I'm definitely going to do my own tests and some experimenting this weekend... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Safari Bug,

Don't worry, we have all done it. Was also disappointed with some of the photos that I took on my recent trip. As you say, you see an animal, and you have to act quickly to get the shot.

I did find with myself that where possible try an review your photos on the viewscreen as much as possible. At least that way, you will be able to correct mistakes as soon as possible.

In December, at a non-SANP, I spent an entire driving shooting away without checking what I was doing. Got home and downloaded my photos. :wall: By total mistake I had set my camera on some rediculous ISO, so the entire drive's photos were a complete disaster. I learnt a lesson the hard way. Check photos as often as possible and you can adjust settings as you go along. And worst case, one or two photos may be a mess.

Thanks
Yoda

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:02 pm 

loosing photo's is bad. loosing memory worse :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree rather over expose than under expose. Increasing the ISO setting gives a better photograph than a doctored under exposed one.
Then again over exposing does not mean a glaring white photograph - max 2 settings.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:02 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Interesting this 'over/under exposure" debate :hmz:
Something to experiment with...or as SO would say..just another excuse to go play at the duck pond! :wink:

:) :) :) :) :)