Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Need advice on fast telephoto lens
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I didn't click the link before. I did now. I knew before what bokeh is :)

From what I understand, bokeh is in large part determined by the shape of the aperture, e.g. the number of leaves used in the aperture/iris. I've also seen on some other sites how to get interesting bokeh shapes, like stars and hearts, by making custom 'lens hoods' with the shapes.
Perhaps a topic branch on bokeh is in order? :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

We can....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Due to X-mas etc, I am only getting my new Pentax 50-135 & 120-400 just after the 15th, any comments on these guys. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the links bert :thumbs_up: and DQ

Im going to get the tamron (if everything works out :pray: ), the bokeh looks great, much better than the sigma and I prefer the image quality over the autofocus speed :D The IQ really looks impressive in those test shots bert :shock:

scips the 135 is a famous pentax lens (and rightly so) so you will REALLY like it, heard very impressive things about it only reason i did not decide on it was the 135 is a bit short for me.Tried it at a camera shop near me and it was awesome!!

I have only seen the 120-400 but it looks very good and should be a brilliant lens with the HSM.enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:24 am 

A bit off topic Odessey as you are looking for a Pentax solution. However Josh brought up his choice which I have to concur. We used to have a crop factor camera (D200) and all Nikon cameras were cropped at one stage before D3/D700. I was chucking out tons of magazines last week for a home and saw an old article in a photographic mag comparing 3 x 70-200 f2.8 lenses. The Nikon VR1 was designed solely for 1.5x cameras and it achieved 100% IQ on a crop camera. The Canon version (not as good as baby brother F4 I am told) got 87% rating and the Sigma 83%. Sure things have changed..We got a D700 Full Frame and all of a sudden our Ultra sharp Nikkor had major vignetting problems. So it has been sold and we will be getting the FX rated VRII later this year as it is SO's favorite focal length for wildlife. The Canon version has been upgraded no doubt to correct its position which appears was below the F4 with the replaced version...Tamron sounds great though

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

We are sooooo excited my Hubby is selling his 200-400 and once the money is in his account he will be ordering the just announced Nikkor 300 f2.8 G VRII AFS Nano Tele Lens plus the 2x Aspherical Teleconvertor III as well as the superb 70-200 f2.8 VRII FX zoom to replace the VRI we sold last Dec...Then he will take some great pics and will be able to go out to 600mm f5.6 with no Image Quality degradation which had been the problem with any 2x convertor until the Aspherical came out...dont have to buy the Huge and heavy 600 F4 now :)

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jane,

I've been looking at the new 300mm and the 2 x converter myself. Wonder what that converter will be like on my 600mm? (the older version does loose a lot of IQ).

I note you have the D3S. How does it compare to the D3? I have the D3 and love it, so would hate to part with it unless the upgrade is that much of an improvement that it's a "must have".

Any feedback would be great.

I'll let you know if I jump in at the deep end and decide to go for the lens.

Barcud

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 am 

Hi Barcud...No my husband used a D3S the other day where it showed up the 1dMk IV in the IQ dept.

He has the D700 which has the same IQ as your D3 but without double card slots and 9FPS. The D3S is the same I have been told and only has better (can you believe better than the world leaders D700 and D3) low light high ISO capability. It also has better video...What are thes manufacturers coming to with Video on a DSLR camera...next it will be a toaster and the ability to iron clothes...If you want video geta Vid cam.

The new 2 x Aspherical will be great on your 600 but 1200 F8...you will need my husbands Gitzo Series 5 GT5530S Tripod to keep it steady!! :shock: :shock:

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

I have a wimberley head on my tripod, works great at 1200mm (and "1800mm" on the D2x). Lets me get birds in flight with this set-up. Still lots of binned shots though!

Seriously tempted by the 300mm though, so I'll look into it a bit more and see if I win the lottery this weekend!

Cheers,

Barcud

A Birder's Eye View of Kruger