SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Photos for Criticism
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: Thanks sprocky :D :D

The main problem i had was that she was so close i could not zoom out enough :slap: the one thing i would like to ask is that when you want a tighter head shot how should you go about it without too much amputation?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Any Thoughts anyone? :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mike1916 wrote:
Any Thoughts anyone? :D

I think an important part of the constructive advice process is trying to understand what you were trying to convey with the shot (I don't think about this enough myself).

For example Mike, I look at your photo and I struggle to see what you are trying to convey, outside of 'some buildings with a lawn, a sign and a ground light'.

Perhaps if you mentioned your intent in taking the shot, or what you are trying to convey, we might be able to help you better.

This applies for all photographs, not this one in particular.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:02 pm 

oddesy wrote:

The main problem i had was that she was so close i could not zoom out enough :slap: the one thing i would like to ask is that when you want a tighter head shot how should you go about it without too much amputation?

Amputation is when you cut a limb off on a joint, a knee or ankle. If you are aiming for a head shot (portrait), don't cut the throat always go down a bit to get a bit of chest or shoulder in the shot. There is a whole lot more that can be mentioned about this topic and a lot is personal opinion.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:

If you can't zoom out enough, or if you are trying to emphasize the head, zoom in/crop even more.

In your shot, you've left enough of the rest of the animal in to make me expect more. If you had just the head, it would be easier for me to see that you have deliberately left out the rest, making it clear what you are emphasizing.

I would echo Sprocky's comments in terms of too much blank space on the left and top of the frame.

Otherwise, I must commend the shot. Very sharp, good light and nice contrast. Other minor comments: I can't see well enough from the small image, but are the eyes in focus? Did you focus on the eyes? If you can manage it, try get some light reflected in the animal's eyes, it brings the shot more to life.

Oh, to be so close that I can't zoom out enough! :mrgreen:

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:08 pm 

How about some comments about this shot

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:15 pm 

Only one comment... :thumbs_up:

I see Angela is getting quite good at taking photo's. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:18 pm 

Bugger up you. :evil:
This was taken last year with a "mik en druk" by our second son.
Not a bad shot I think.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

joshilewis wrote:
I think an important part of the constructive advice process is trying to understand what you were trying to convey with the shot (I don't think about this enough myself).

For example Mike, I look at your photo and I struggle to see what you are trying to convey, outside of 'some buildings with a lawn, a sign and a ground light'.

Perhaps if you mentioned your intent in taking the shot, or what you are trying to convey, we might be able to help you better.

This applies for all photographs, not this one in particular.

I feel its important for me to explain this further.

I can give you advice only on the technical aspects of photography, which will support your goal of taking photographs which convey what you want to convey and express. Such advice includes things like depth of field, use of flash, and even more subjective rules like the rule of thirds.

What I cannot do is tell you what photographs you should be taking, or what feelings or thoughts you should be trying to convey in your photograph. That is the artistic side of it, it belongs to you, and that is what makes a good photograph.

To reach the goal of self-expression in photography, you need to have some level of proficiency in the technical aspects. Its the same as understanding different types of paint, brush strokes etc if you're a painter. The technical know-how is not an end in itself, it is used to enable you to achieve your goal of expression.

The barrier-to-entry of photography, in terms of technical know-how, has been vastly reduced with the advent of digital photography. This is a good thing for the man in the street. It means you can start taking photographs without knowing all the technical aspects. The corollary to this is that you may be less equipped to reach your goal, and be less satisfied with the results, because it doesn't come out like some other photographs taken by other people.

Again, I can't teach you self-expression. All I can do is try help you understand the technical aspects to enable you to reach your goal of self-expression.

In order to give advice on the technical aspects of photography, it is important for me to understand what you are trying to achieve with your photograph. If you are trying to convey something about the number of birds in an area (like one of the first photos in this thread), then it is important to understand how depth of field affects your shot, and how to change depth of field, so that all the birds are in focus, but not the background. Understanding depth of field does nothing for you unless you know how to use it in your photography, as and when appropriate.

If you want to take a photo of a mountain to emphasize the 'skull effect' of the cliff formation, depth of field may not be important at all, whereas composition may be very important.

The context of your photograph, what you are trying to express, determines what technical aspects are important. It is therefore vital for me to understand your goal and context before I can give technical advice.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Part of this is also the fact that those giving advice may misinterpret what you're trying to convey, and giving you advice to improve your photograph, but not in the way you want to improve it.

A contrived example: you take a photograph of a rhino at a water hole, with a whole bunch of animals in the background. You may want to know what to change so that all the animals are in focus, instead of just the rhino (i.e. increase your depth of field).

I misinterpret your intent by thinking you want to emphasize the rhino. I advise you to crop the photo tighter to the rhino, eliminating the distracting animals in the background. I've completely missed the mark because I didn't understand your intent.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sprocky wrote:
oddesy wrote:

Amputation is when you cut a limb off on a joint, a knee or ankle. If you are aiming for a head shot (portrait), don't cut the throat always go down a bit to get a bit of chest or shoulder in the shot. There is a whole lot more that can be mentioned about this topic and a lot is personal opinion.

Thanks sprocky :thumbs_up:

Thanks for the advice JL :thumbs_up: yes the eyes are in focus,I also think you have a good point with the context or thought with which the picture was taken especially in landscape :thumbs_up:

Would this then be a better photo? or how would you crop it?
Larger View

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:
Sprocky wrote:
oddesy wrote:

Thanks sprocky :thumbs_up:

Thanks for the advice JL :thumbs_up: yes the eyes are in focus,I also think you have a good point with the context or thought with which the picture was taken especially in landscape :thumbs_up:

Would this then be a better photo? or how would you crop it?
Larger View

Personally, I would crop even more from the left of the image. The animal isn't looking to either side, so I don't think you need to leave much space on the side. I.e. crop the image to its ear.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Like this?? I like it like this was just not sure how the quality would be affected with so much cropping, i think a bit too sharp?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:
Like this?? I like it like this was just not sure how the quality would be affected with so much cropping, i think a bit too sharp?
[img]...[/img]

I like that crop the best.

Funnily enough, I didn't notice that twig in front of its face until now :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:lol: neither did i

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next