Skip to Content

Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Unread postby Stark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:51 pm

First off, I'm a photography novice. I have a very nice point and shoot, which is still a point and shoot. :) It has all sorts of settings and adjustments I can make manually, but I haven't even begun to try and do more than what the camera will do for itself. (It's an Olympus SP-570)

With that said, it looks like North America is going to be in for a fantastic total lunar eclipse tonight, and I was going to haul out my trusty tripod and camera to see if I can capture the moment.

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my pictures? Should I trust the "nighttime" or "low light" auto-settings on my camera, or is there a manual way that you pro's out there would suggest? Any and all guidance would be appreciated. :cam:
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Unread postby oddesy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Stark im no pro but I would use manual in this case. If you are able to, use a relatively high ISO, about 800 . You will have to use a low shutter speed but start with something like 1/30 or similar (because of the dark portion) and then go higher or lower and definitely use your tripod, this is one of mine.

The moon by oddesy2, on Flickr
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Unread postby Stark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Good info, oddesy. Thank you! :thumbs_up:
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Return to “Geology, Astronomy, Meteorology, etc.”