SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Breaking News: PLANETARY ALIGNMENT
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Awesome :D

Tried to get a pic :redface: Got the moon and venus, you cant really see mercury :?

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
I could clearly see the four planets now:

The easiest way is to find the moon and then, below it is the very bright Venus. Using Venus as a guide, north-east of it is red Mars, and south-east of it (But a little further away) is the unblinking Saturn. Mercury is close to the horizon, straight sown from Venus, but a little to the left.

Lovely to be able to locate all these planets so easily! Usually, Mercury is difficult to find. If you're not sure if it is a planet or star you're seeing, you'll see that the planets don't twinkle!

Happy viewing - just remember, you need to find it within the next hour or so, as Mercury is setting rapidly; and the other three will be close to the horizon not too long after that.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 pm 
Thanks, WAC, for the Moon-Venus arrangement. :thumbs_up: Pretty good cam you've got there. 8)

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here in Knysna it is wonderful - The moon and Venus look gorgeous :thumbs_up:

There seemed to a be a very high tide last night? Or maybe I was imagining it?

JJ

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Post subject: NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Some here is sure to find this interesting! I'd like to see the content of that press release...

NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.

Participants are:
- Mary Voytek, director, Astrobiology Program, NASA Headquarters, Washington
- Felisa Wolfe-Simon, NASA astrobiology research fellow, U.S. Geological Survey, Menlo Park, Calif.
- Pamela Conrad, astrobiologist, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
- Steven Benner, distinguished fellow, Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, Gainesville, Fla.
- James Elser, professor, Arizona State University, Tempe

Media representatives may attend the conference or ask questions by phone or from participating NASA locations. To obtain dial-in information, journalists must send their name, affiliation and telephone number to Steve Cole at stephen.e.cole@nasa.gov or call 202-358-0918 by noon Dec. 2.

For NASA TV streaming video and downlink information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about NASA astrobiology activities, visit:

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Post subject: Re: NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
It proved to be a false alarm. NASA did not discover life in outer space, but has discovered a micro-organism in a lake in California, which lives on arsenic. These findings are proof that living organisms can survive on poisonous chemicals, and the possibility is there, that such organisms may exist in outer space.

Last edited by Rooies on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Very exciting stuff :dance: :dance: I posted a article on it from Scientific America in the Great Quiz Chat HERE

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okay, firstly, I know nothing about the stars and planets except that they look much prettier from the KNP than from Pretoria :D

But I do have a question:

I'm on the road early morning from around 5:45 to 6:15 every weekday morning, driving more-or-less in a easterly direction through Pretoria the whole time. Last week and the week before I've noticed 3 "stars" in a L-shape, about 30 to 40 degrees above the horizon, in about a east-north-easterly or north-easterly direction (is this the way to express position when talking about stars?). The corner "star" was very bright and large in comparison with the others. The "star" on the end of the "long, upright leg" (the "top star") of the "L" was medium in size and brightness. The star on the end of the "foot" of the "L" was relatively small and not very bright. This last mentioned star disappeared as soon as the horizon started lighting up from the rising sun. I've noticed that over the course of the two mentioned weeks the "top star" moved further and further away from the other two stars so that where the two "legs" of the "L" was about equal length when I first noticed it, the "upright" leg became longer and longer until it was many times as long as the "foot" of the "L". I assume this "top star" as well as the "corner star" were planets and not stars as the "top star" changed position so quickly, and the "corner star" were (are) so bright. Any idea which planets they are?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:46 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Looks like Venus, Mars and??
Check this site: http://neave.com/planetarium/

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That's a very nice website DuQues! Thanx for the link :D

Once I "paged" to the right dates (14 May) and time (6:00) (and got my directions rights - about halfway between the east and northeast from location -25, +28) it was obvious! And then paging through the following days showed the planet's alignment change exactly how I saw it happening "in real life" 8)

The "top star" of the "L" turned out to be Jupiter, the "corner star" is Venus, and the last "star" (which I thought was a star, but is actually also a planet) is Mercury.

I see by tomorrow morning four planets should be more or less in a crooked line: Jupiter at the top, then Venus, Mars and Mercury at the bottom. Will be looking out for them :D

:hmz: This is actually quite interesting! "Planet-watching" - something to do when it's too dark outside for birding (except with a spotlight of course). (Don't feel quite ready for the stars yet... :redface: )

Post subject: Astronomy in the News
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Quote:
Nasa's Kepler telescope finds planet orbiting two suns
An artist's conception of Kepler-16b, which orbits two stars An artist's conception of Kepler-16b
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Kepler spies Saturn-sized worlds
Nasa launches Kepler telescope

A planet orbiting two suns - the first confirmed alien world of its kind - has been found by Nasa's Kepler telescope, the US space agency announced.

It may resemble the planet Tatooine from the film Star Wars, but scientists say Luke Skywalker, or anyone at all, is unlikely to be living there.

Named Kepler-16b, it is thought to be an uninhabitable cold gas giant, like Saturn.

The newly detected body lies some 200 light years from Earth.

Though there have been hints in the past that planets circling double stars might exist, scientists say this is the first confirmation.
'Stunning'

It means when the day ends on Kepler-16b, there is a double sunset, they say.

Kepler-16b's two suns are smaller than ours - at 69% and 20% of the mass of our sun - making the surface temperature an estimated -100 to -150F (-73 to -101C).

The planet orbits its two suns every 229 days at a distance of 65m miles (104m km) - about the same solar orbit as Venus.

The Kepler telescope, launched in 2009, is designed to scour our section of the Milky Way galaxy for Earth-like planets.

"This is really a stunning measurement by Kepler," said Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution for Science, a co-author of the study.

"The real exciting thing is there's a planet sitting out there orbiting around these two stars."

Kepler finds stars whose light is regularly dimmed, which means there is an orbited planet between the star and the telescope.

Nasa's scientists saw additional dips in the light in both stars at alternating but regular times, confirming the dual orbit of the planet.

The finding was reported in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14940885

Post subject: Re: Breaking News: Astronomically Speaking
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:40 am 
Brilliant news, JenB! Thanks for bringing our attention to it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm 
Here is a great name-dropping technique for a first date - just drop in a casual:
"Have you seen the latest perigee-syzygy arrangement of the Earth-Moon-Sun system?"
Of course your date will be impressed, but don't forget to know what you're talking about because he/she will definitely want to know more. And who knows where that will lead, right? :lol:

These jargon-droppers seem to make things arcane for the less-knowledgeable people of the world - perhaps deliberately? - but this jaw-breaker is not too difficult to understand. A perigee is the closest approach of a heavenly body to another in its orbit; in this case, the Moon to her "mother-ship", our very own Earth. A syzygy (great Scrabble word for a vowelless arrangement of letters) is really only a straight-line alignment of three heavenly bodies, in this case the Earth-Moon-Sun. So, what this all translates to is:

We are all in for a treat on Sunday night: there is a coincidence between the Moon's closest approach to the Earth with its Full Moon appearance. And so, we will have what is commonly known as a SUPERMOON. That is, a Full Moon that will appear up to 14% larger and 30% brighter than one at its farthest point, or apogee. Is this significant? Well, if you are in a good viewing area, you will certainly notice the extra impressiveness of this Moon sighting, but if you try to photograph it, it may not be all that different. Try and catch it just as it is rising and don't be too shy to audibly hiss out a great sigh of awe. If you're on a first date, all the better. :wink:

So, turn your eyes heavenward, or at least horizonward, on Sunday evening around 18h00 (just after sunset) and report back here as soon as you can. :dance: :dance: :dance: The Supermoon will be visible until around 05h30.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It is normally Sods Law that as soon as something interesting is due to happen in the night sky, we have a cloudy sky!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:44 am 
Kite, I was watching the gibbous moon setting before dawn and the size is certainly larger than normal; it's almost as if it has an ancient pull on the spirit, which explains why medical personnel traditionally say that patients in asylums or psychiatric hospitals may show worsening behaviour around a full moon. What could possibly happen around a Supermoon? :hmz:

ST, I believe it is going to happen. The sod will be fertilised, so to speak. :whistle: