Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Hi Albert

I have also seen quite a few snakes in the winter in recent years, especially north of olifants. What I find are extremely common in June July are puffadders. Try the old Shingwedzi Main Road via Shilowa. Man they are everywhere - just lapping up the warm winter sun. Also have seen Moz cobras in winter but have not seen a mamba in ages. Saw a python inside mopani camp at night quite recently though - must be all the bunnies.

Post subject: Camp snakes?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well,we just returned from a wonderful 18 day Athens to Rome cruise and are now in our 90 day countdown to Kruger. Life is good. We will be staying 17 nights in the park (all in bungalows). My wife has decided that she is now worried about snakes in the camps.

Any experiences or advice for my hypochondriacal better half? :? :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The only camp I have ever seen a large number of snakes was at Talamati - one October there were so many puff adders on the lawns we lost count! We also saw a Vine snake in Skukuza one day! We have a timeshare at the Paul Kruger gate and one evening my daughter and her husband let out a yell when a snake (unknown sp) fell onto their bed from the roof - he was ushered out the french doors of their bedroom with the aid of a broom!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

TX Drifter, never seen a snake at any camp
And you will there in winter i do believe that there are then fewer snakes that in summer

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
We had in Shingwedzi a cottage with problems. The airco didn't work and it was very hot. So we got an other cottage. Next day we heard that thtere was a big puff adder under the bed, so we were lucky that the airco helped us for an other cottage.

A year later we had a BRAAI in Shingwedzi with a good friend of us, Cobus a field guide from Lower Sabie. He was on holiday. It was already dark and we were enjoying the Braai when we heard that loud scream of a young women. We went there and saw a very big Moz. spitting cobra. Cobus recognised the snake immediately and it disappeared into the bushes.

An other snake we saw in Lower Sabie, crossing the road in the camp. A man walked right to the snake without seeing it. I called him and pointed to the snake and the man jumped backwards and talked with us from the other side of the car.

Snakes will always be in the camps but they will always avoid people as much as they can. Keep your eye's open and always look under the bed when you go to sleep. :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
graemy wrote:
Hi

I'm sure txdrifter's SO will feel much better now, after reading your posts!!!Image

For what it's worth, Txdrifter, in my one time in Kruger in may I never saw a snake and I was looking trying to find them...

Greetings
Greamy, I think it is better to know that there are snakes in the camps instead of not having any information about snakes. You are in the bush and you have to be aware of the rules of nature. When you aware of that, than there are nearly no problems at all. You don't go out of your car to hug a lion or to give an elephant a big kiss so always be aware that you are in nature even when you are in a camp. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nico

I just found it so "funny" that in response to someone who has a certain fear (not to say phobic fear) of snakes, everyone, except Bert, pulled out their horror stories of snake encounters. I was just seeing the funny side.

I am myself very aware of wildlife in the camps.

I should have added (and there, you are very right) that it's not because I didn't see any snakes that I wasn't very careful.
I always looked where I was putting my feet, always walked with a flashlight at night, checked any area before sitting down and stamped my feet a bit while walking in areas with longer grass.
Thanks for your reminder to properly inform forumites who have questions.

GRAEMY

Last edited by graemy on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Of course there are snakes in camps but I have to say that in all the times I have visited Kruger I have never seen a snake in camp.

Granted, I usually visit in the winter months (you will be there in spring) when they are much less active. I have been in summer too.

You really need not worry, snakes avoid people and only come into contact with us by mistake, they hurry away at the first sign of us. Secondly, as long as you don't leave the screen doors open, they won't be able to get in. I always check under the bed on the first day just to be sure. It is sensible to look where your'e walking if not on a clear path and to check parts of the bungalow (under the bed, cupboards, the bathroom etc..any dark, crevice like place.) But there is no need to check all the time, just do so casually when you first arrive to settle in and then make sure that you dont leave places for them to get in....the bungalows are cleaned daily and staff would most likely be the first to notice a snake and have it removed before you even get there.

Also, tell your SO, that in the unlikely event that a snake should be in your bungalow (it wont happen) the staff are perfectly able to remove it. In fact, you will probably see very few snakes out on the roads if at all....please tell your SO to relax and enjoy her time in the Park, in all likelihood you will not encounter a snake in a camp, even if you go looking for them. The stories above are true, and October can be a very hot month, so that would explain all the Adder activity at the time, but these are not the norm.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Never ever seen a snake in the camps, and have been going to KNP for donkeys years...and yes, I do notice snakes, see them often enough here where I live :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Same , been to knp ever since.
Have only seen snakes 3 times in the camp , and never in a bungalow .
All sightings where enjoyed , and where all in mid summer .

They are still very dormant in early spring , so its a good time to go .
You will be lucky to see a snake anywhere .
Tell your SO to relax , the only thing to worry about is mozzies , which are also at low risk in september , all in all spring is the best time in the park .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am also very afraid of snakes.
I have nearly stepped on a boomslang at Lower Sabie.
I have been to crazy spaces... we Kruger crazies all do. Just have a chat to your guardian angel and check your shoes :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:15 pm 

TX Drifter to add to the horrid stories
In Namibia, before entering my bungalow, a snake who was getting a tan on my patio, heard me coming and disappeared before i got a good look at him :?

As alread said, snakes avoid humans

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bert I think you may be a snake magnet, next time I go to KNP, can you please tag along, maybe I will FINALLY get to see a python in the park :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have not seen a python in the park, but I did see a python strangle its prey on a fairly busy road in the Free State.
:cry: :cry:
it did make me wonder why my cat had disappeared :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

macho mouse wrote:
I have not seen a python in the park, but I did see a python strangle its prey on a fairly busy road in the Free State.
:cry: :cry:
it did make me wonder why my cat had disappeared :cry:

gee that would be awesome if it weren't so sad :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next