Skip to Content

If snakes could talk...

Find, identify & discuss the marine species of SANParks
Stampajane
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: If snakes could talk...

Unread postby Stampajane » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Last year we had a snake (unidentified) go down a hole at the base of our hand basin which accessed the plumbing under the bath. It must have died under there as a few days later we had a stinky dead snake smell in the house which lasted for about a week. While I was sorry that the snake had died, I was also relieved to know that it wasn't lurking around in our bedroom somewhere.

A couple of years back we had a young spotted bush snake take up residence in our post box. He lived there for months and we had to tap on the post box before we opened the door to removed the post so that he could pop out the post slot first. I was quite relieved that he didn't return the following summer.

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Interesting story about the post box!! At least your post was save until you could remove it!! :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Now that is one space that I would hesitate to place my hand. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

We have had quite a few visits from Night Adders lately. Beautiful snakes, but fortunately not in my post box.

As a matter of interest, would a Night Adder have the capacity to kill a cat?
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:30 pm

MM, I doubt and will actually be very surprised if a Night adder will be capable of killing a cat... my opinion :wink:

Grantmissy
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm

In May just before we entered the gates of Olifants Camp from an afternoon drive a black mamba suddenly appeared from the grasses and crossed the road and disappeared in the grasses on the other side. A rather long one. It was very unexpected and we were glad to have seen it but my window was completely open and a few seconds/inches forwards or backwards and I could have looked the Mamba in the eye.

I am glad that snakes cannot talk. I do not want to engage in a conversation with a talking black mamba through an open car window.
Everything in moderation, including moderation – Oscar Wilde

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:04 pm

If snakes could talk, the stunning huge Boomslang that slithered across the road on our journey from Satara to Tshokwane, would say "Thank you" to our son, who managed to avoid running it over!!! :shock:
Thinking of Africa every day.

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”