Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Interesting and NB Facts About Puff Adders and Other Snakes
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 pm 

@Macchappie- Thanx!

*Another Interesting Fact*

Many herpatologists are bitten when they are holding a snake behind the head. Snakes will bite through their own lower jaw to inject venom into an unsuspecting finger that has strayed from the correct hold.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I wonder if the bite of a puffie is more painful than some other snakes? It is cytotoxic, that is it destroys living tissue.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 am 

Great topic Eagle Eye, will check at home, got some interesting facts too and first aid tips from a course I did. Did not know the Puffies gave a dry bite, but know the cobras do. MM I think the neuron toxic bites are more painful as this attacks the nervous system and most of the puffies are cyto and neuro toxic, the Gaboon Adder is the deadliest adder and thankfully only found more tropical areas like St. Lucia, its venom is cyto, neuro and haemo (causes bleeding) toxic.

Last edited by JustNature on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:15 am 

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I wonder if the bite of a puffie is more painful than some other snakes? It is cytotoxic, that is it destroys living tissue.

Maybe we should get that clown from the tv show "Bite Nite" to test it out for us. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We saw this beautiful Puff Adder on S28 on 30 June 2010.

When we stopped to take the photos, it actually moved towards and then under our car. We waited for it to appear at the other side, but it did not. Leaning out through the windows, we saw that it made itself at home inside the rim of the left rear wheel :shock: :shock: We did not know what to do and I imagined how I arrive at Croc Bridge and ask the Ranger to remove a angry, drunk-spun Puffy!!

Luckily when I moved off (slowly) it got out again.

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:37 am 

@JustNature- I didn't know about puffies being both cytotoxic and neurotoxic. I know that some puffie bites have complications and sometimes the venom can indirectly cause similiar effects as some other types of venom. I know there are some snakes that do have two types of venom but I'm not sure which. I couldn't find anything on puffies though... :huh:

@Dupacc- awesome pics. It must have been scary. In Botswana a few people get bitten when puffies crawl under their car and manage to get under the car seat. The people get out, don't find the snake and then get bitten when they go back to their cars. I'm not positive this is true but I'm sure it could be. :|

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 am 

Unlike (most) other snakes that lay eggs, Puffies give birth to live young.

The newborns are just as toxic at birth as mom. :shock:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 am 
Great topic Eagle Eyes!

Eagle Eyes wrote:
It will warn you of its presence and will try to get away.

Do however not bargain on the warning…learned that from personal experience. :roll: But if it indeed makes its warning hiss, it is quite loud.

Mfezi wrote:
I would like to mention that the Stiletto snake (Atractaspis bibronii, cannot be safely held behind the head like any other venomous snake. It turns its head to the side and stab you with a fang.

Lourens (from Phalaborwa) can vouch for this… :lol:

Meandering Mouse wrote:

The puffy has long fangs, so the bite is more painful. The swelling etc from the cytotoxic venom also causes severe pain.

Eagle Eyes wrote:
@JustNature- I didn't know about puffies being both cytotoxic and neurotoxic. I know that some puffie bites have complications and sometimes the venom can indirectly cause similiar effects as some other types of venom. I know there are some snakes that do have two types of venom but I'm not sure which. I couldn't find anything on puffies though... :huh:
|

I’ve also never heard that a puffy’s venom has neurotoxic properties. :? A snake that’s venom does cause both cytotoxic and neurotoxic symptoms is the Mozambique Spitting Cobra.

Talking about the Mfezi (Mozambique Spitting Cobra), herewith my interesting Puffy fact. The Puff Adder is one of the preferred prey of the Mozambique Spitting Cobra.
Most people also do not realize that the Puff Adder is most active after dark…

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 am 

Latin Name: Bitis arietans

Length: Up to 1 m.

Lifespan: Average 13 years.

Distribution: Found throughout Africa except for desert regions and mountaintops.

Food: Rats, mice, other small mammals, birds, frogs, toads and other snakes.

Reproduction:
Puff Adders are viviparous (give birth to live young), giving birth to 16 – 40 young, which are born in the late summer. The young are highly venomous upon hatching and are capable of inflicting a serious bite.
The Puff Adder holds the record for giving birth to the most amount young by any snake, 156!

Venom:
Their venom is Cytotoxic and highly dangerous. Once the venom enters the body, the body sends plasma (white blood cells) to the site of the bite to try and dilute the venom. With the venom being so potent, excess amounts of plasma sent cause the body tissues to swell up to the degree where the veins are compressed tightly up against the skin, resulting in loss of blood circulation. The area that swells up will often turns to a blackish-blue color with there being a lack of blood.
If not treated promptly, often amputations may necessary after about 4 hours.

Notes:
The Puff Adder is responsible for most of the serious snakebite incidents in Africa as it is the most common widespread venomous snake on the continent and often does not move when approached resulting in many people being bitten.
It is a rather sluggish moving snake but can strike very rapidly. From a coiled position too striking and then returning back to a coiled position takes just 0,24 of a second!
When approached they will often hiss and puff, hence the name “Puff Adder”.

Found this on South African Wildlife Blogspot.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:45 am 

:redface: When I said they are neuro toxic it is mild by my understanding but they are definitely cytotoxoic, and as for the the cobra's, most of them are both neuro toxic and cytotoxic but in this case they are more neuro toxic than cytotoxic. In a puff adder bite there is swelling and in the case of a cobra bite the area starts getting indented. Adders have hinged fangs and cobra's have fixed front fangs.
BunnyHugger wrote:
Venom:
Their venom is Cytotoxic and highly dangerous. Once the venom enters the body, the body sends plasma (white blood cells) to the site of the bite to try and dilute the venom. With the venom being so potent, excess amounts of plasma sent cause the body tissues to swell up to the degree where the veins are compressed tightly up against the skin, resulting in loss of blood circulation. The area that swells up will often turns to a blackish-blue color with there being a lack of blood.
If not treated promptly, often amputations may necessary after about 4 hours.

BunnyHugger, that is why one uses a crepe bandage on the bite because of the swelling and DO NOT cut the bite site or appy ice to it they say. Need to check my notes and will get more info on the treatment.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm 
JustNature wrote:
.... and as for the the cobra's, most of them are both neuro toxic and cytotoxic but in this case they are more neuro toxic than cytotoxic.

From what I can understand out of my guidebook is that the spitting cobras do have predominantly neurotoxic venom, but can also have some cytotoxic symptoms. The exception is the Mozambique Spitting Cobra that has predominantly cytotoxic venom (slight neurotoxic symptoms). We only have two spitting cobras in SA, the Mozambique Spitting Cobra and the Rinkhals.
The other cobras, like the Cape Cobra, have neurotoxic venom.
It appears that the only adder that’s venom also displays neurotoxic symptoms, is the Berg Adder.

My guidebook also advises that a pressure bandage (crêpe) should only be used with bites from one of the non-spitting cobras or mambas. (Although I would say they should have make an exception for the Rinkhals that has serious neurotoxic venom :? )

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm 

Jumbo wrote:
From what I can understand out of my guidebook is that the spitting cobras do have predominantly neurotoxic venom, but can also have some cytotoxic symptoms. The exception is the Mozambique Spitting Cobra that has predominantly cytotoxic venom (slight neurotoxic symptoms). We only have two spitting cobras in SA, the Mozambique Spitting Cobra and the Rinkhals.

:thumbs_up: Jumbo, my understanding is the Rinkhals is not really classed as a cobra, the venom from cobras is injected through the fangs the same as all snakes but in the cobra the hole in the fang through which the venom is sprayed or injected has a 90 degree bend in it near the end forcing the venom out to the front of it, this is also why they move the head to get a broader spray, but the Rinkhals does not have this bend and is like other snakes and thus raises higher than normal cobras and tilts its head then spraying it's venom.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This is turning out to be a fascinating thread 8) thanks guys.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm 
JustNature wrote:
:thumbs_up: Jumbo, my understanding is the Rinkhals is not really classed as a cobra,

You are right! I’ve never realized this, but one only need to look at the Latin name see it (not a Naja)!! :roll: The Rinkhals is actually in a genus on its own. 8)
Seems it also differs from cobras by the fact that it is ovoviviparous (gives birth to live young.) It also has keeled dorsal scales.
Great info! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yup. The confusion might possibly come in I think by laypeople generally referring to any spitting snake as a rinkhals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next