Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Symbiotic relationship between a fish and a mammal
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm 

Hi there!

I am doing an assignment on Ecology and am struggeling to find info a a realtionship between a fish and a mammal in the savanna biome. I believe that there is a symbiotic relationship between fish and hippos but cant find any information to back it up. Can any one please help me, am at my witts end!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Symbiotic realtionship between a fish and a mammal
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

'Researchers have observed that the hippo-bird-fish relationship may in fact be a symbiotic one, in that everyone benefits at some level – even the host. The hippo gets the ticks, parasites, dead skin, and flies efficiently removed on a dependable schedule, and the birds and fish benefit through nutrients derived from the regular cleansing. Interestingly, different species of fish have been observed targeting specific body parts of the hippo. Members of the carp family are known to be the main cleaner, mowing along the large surface of the hippos hide, removing everything indiscriminately. Species of cichlids prefer cleaning duties in the tail area, while other species clean between the many cracks in the soles of the hippo’s feet. While far from a passive recipient of these cleaning services, hippos have been observed splaying their toes and spreading their legs, affording easier access for the attendant fish. Being opportunists, hippos are known to visit places around the pond where large groups of fish are known to congregate, in effect pulling into “full service” cleaning stations. Life is good.' from google.

Heard about this relationship with fish and hippos, thanx for bringing it up...just did some searching and found this....

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 am 

Thanks o-dog!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Fish are present where there is a suitable habitat for the species. Meaning the water must have the correct turbidity, salinity, temperature and pH as well as enough food, food being the main attraction.

They live in a wide variety of habitats, from swiftly flowing waters, to shallow swamps or open lakes.

They may be grouped ecologically according to their ways of life: benthic(bottom dwellers); pelagic (free swimming) or plantonic (floating, as in the larvae of of some species).

Littoral zone fishes live in the inshorewaters where enough sunlight penetrates for the growth of rooted green plants, limnetic fishes in offshore waters and profundal fishes in the dark waters beneath the well lit zone, within these communities.

Fishes have differentfeeding habits. They may be herbivores (feeding on plants), omnivores (feeding on plants and animals) and piscivores(specifically on other fishes), Detritivores ( feeding on bottom deposits) and predators (feeding on other animals).

Fishes therefore have an importantrole in the food web as thgey convert plants and invertrabets into food for higher organisms, such as eptiles, birds and mammals, including man.

Fish species preferring the warmer waters i(east flowing rivers in Southern Africa) include Yellow-fish, Tilapia, Eels, Tiger-fish, Mud-fish,Cat-fish, Barbs, Bream and even a few types of Gobies.

Hippos prefer the warmer water where temparature seldomnly drop to below 16 C in winter. Therefore the fishes with a preference for the warmer water will obviously share their habitat.

Hippos have quite many parasites, being ticks, intestinal worms and whatever.

Hippos feed mainly on land (out of the water) however the also feed on plant growing in the waters. They also defacate mainly in the water as this is where they spend most of their time.

The Hippo dung will create a certain environment attracting other species which may come and feed on the dung and the intestinal parasites, which in turn are hunted by the next part of the food chain.

An example being diatoms and invertibrates feed on the dung, which in turn attract Barbs and Ghielemientjies, which again attract and are hunted by the larger predators being Yellow and Tiger and Cat-fish and Eels. Of course of the dung will also be consumed by the detritus feeding species.

By clearing the waters from excessive plant growth it creates an area where free swimming species can hunt and live in cleaner waters.

The external parasites are taken by the predatory species being, Yellow and Mud and Cat-fish, Bream, Tilapia who also compete with turtles.

I have spent many hours on a bridge in Kruger just watching all the above happen, nature will never cease to be fascinating.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:43 pm 

Thank you very much gmlsmit!
Verry interesting!