Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 am 
Wow, that is a BIG one…we once saw a similar sized one in the Kgalagadi.

Pilane wrote:
I DONT LIKE HIS HANDELING EQUIPMENT EITHER :(

I agree with you…many people use this makeshift “devise” but it chokes the snake. :evil:

Post subject: Fake Snake!
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 pm 
If you look carefully, there is a faint "shadowline" running all the way down the left (OUR left) side of the snake! :shock:

Also, puffadders have very short "tails", so I think the snake more or less ends where the pic would lead one to believe that it goes on up to where the "outstretched" arm and hand would be! 8)

Therefore, a "photoshopped" hoax pic!

(Picked up by Perks... (Not the snake, the falsification!) :twisted: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:07 am 

They swim. And they love the beach. A relative was bitten on the ankle in 2006 [up in Harold Porter's Chrystal Pools] whilst dangling his luckless legs in the water [and I have seen them - only twice - in Ion Williams's Vogelgat pools]. Quite a mission getting him down - took about 6-8 months to recover [he is diabetic which didn't help tissue healing]. We see them on Die Plaat in Hermanus and environs, lying parallel to beached seaweed, always on the shadow side, cooling down in Summer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Well that will be a good cause to raise funds for….a proper snake catching stick for every camp!

Good idea
I will provide it at cost.... my own design and custom build with a lifetime garantee :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mfezi wrote:
<...> I am surprised and shocked to hear that this type of catching equipment is actually used by staff in the Kruger. Is this true?

Mfezi, are there facts that you base your statement on? Other than the
G@mespotter wrote:
They use them in Kruger aswell......
previously posted under this topic?

I must admit, when I hear the "snake!" call, I usually run and hide, so I've only met very few snakes up close and personal, inside Kruger camps. But, if and when I did, they were always being handled the "correct" way.

So, Mfezi, if you have any info which proves the opposite, I (and I'm sure this forum as a whole) would like to see some substantial evidence of that :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Almost every snake (if not all) are good swimmers.

I have two questions:

1.) Apparently they only bite when you step ON and not NEXT to it. Is this true?

2.) I also want to query something else. I am not so sure that a puffadder can be called deadly. Yes, I agree that you will have a chance of turning your toes skywards with the complications of gangrene and the effects of (anaphylactic?) shock, but I am not that convinced that you will die easily from a puffadder bite.

What do the experts say?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:04 am 

Dead silence......

No expert moi. The best sample population would be the Western Cape Agricultural Sectors - read pickers [flowers, grapes etc] - who could answer Q1.

Re Q2: as far as I knew [back in the Jurassic Period of Medicine], anaphylaxis was consequent to the Anti-venom and NOT the cytotoxic bite, although theoretically its possible on a cellular basis i suppose.

Any immunologists out there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:46 am 

wildtuinman wrote:
I have two questions:

1.) Apparently they only bite when you step ON and not NEXT to it. Is this true?

2.) I also want to query something else. I am not so sure that a puffadder can be called deadly. Yes, I agree that you will have a chance of turning your toes skywards with the complications of gangrene and the effects of (anaphylactic?) shock, but I am not that convinced that you will die easily from a puffadder bite.

What do the experts say?

Hi, I'm no expert but I'll try and respond.

1)Bill Branch, in his work Field Guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Southern Africa, mentions that the Puff Adder strikes readily which leads me to believe that it will strike if you get close enough for it to feel threatened and not only if you step on it.

2)In the same work he says that bites are common but fatalities rare so you seem to be correct there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 am 
armata wrote:
On our snake awareness and handling courses run in Cape Town we show people how to 'double hook' a puff adder so as to support the heavy body which can easily be damaged.

Armata, do you by any chance know if similar courses are offered in JHB or PTA?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 pm 

Mike Perry does courses in that area

mike@africanreptiles-venom.co.za

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 pm 
Thanks MM and Armata 8) ….I have saved Mike Perry’s address and will most definitely contact him when we are in PTA again. My SO and I will have to do a course like this with all the snakes we have around in Marloth….and I’m sure it will also address my fear of these creatures….I don’t have a phobia...quite interesting when I see them in the parks (and I’m in a car), but am a bit paranoid at our house in Marloth where we get close and personal with them...SO has to check under the bed and in the roof every night :lol: :redface:... keep on thinking a snake is going to fall out of the roof onto the bed or might get into the bed to enjoy the electric blanket :shock:

BTW…MM, are you going to join us on such a course? :dance: ….maybe beginning of next year? (we first need to settle into Gauteng tho (don’t think there is any courses for that one :roll: )…might even make it a forum-thing…”Angels and snakes” :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:49 pm 

Just thought I would add this. Handling puff adder double hook method, spreading the weight. Female from WCNP.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm 

And this is where we found her in WCNP, 3m up a tree - puff adders climb very well>

Post subject: Re: Identification help: Snakes
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 pm 

Hello, I spotted this snake crossing the road in southern Kruger during June 2007:

Click through for larger versions on Flickr.

I looked through some photos, but haven't found a good match. Would you help, please?

Post subject: Re: Identification help: Snakes
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

alan bluehole wrote:
Click through for larger versions on Flickr.

Alan, this only opens smaller thumbnails for me, impossible to even guess from these tiny images. Can you perhaps post larger ones?

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next