francoisd wrote:
Guinea Pig's answer is.....a husband :P

Though that wasn't the conscious idea, I guess guilty as charged? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Why the forums
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Richprins wrote:
However, one is not "forced"' to make oneself public property, in fact many "forumites" purposely provide bogus information, which annoys me no end. :evil:

I have not been a member that long...but I have never felt that I was being mislead by anyone on purpose...unless of course they were kidding...(like I hope you are now RP...)

I consider all forumites friends, and some - good friends.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:15 pm 
Bush Baptist wrote:
Really, I thought there was a very high level of integrity on the forum, to back up your assertion. I believe none of the regulars would calculatedly deceive others.

I am CERTAINLY not going to cite examples, and it is also not the end of he world, but there have been IMHO, "bogus new members" every now and again, to incite discussion on lagging threads.

Also, it is tricky to talk about "regulars", as that implies a different class of forumites, which is wrong and is exactly what arks and I would agree about! 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
"Regulars" is a quantatative not a qualitative concept RP. It is measurable and carries an objective reality.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Richprins wrote:
in fact many "forumites" purposely provide bogus information, which annoys me no end. :evil:

Really, I thought there was a very high level of integrity on the forum, except where fun was being poked and the angel waffle threads :shock:

Any examples, without getting personal to back up your assertion. I believe none of the regulars would calculatedly deceive others.

Supposed sightings of Narina Trogons, of course remain a joke.

I'm not going to post names and/or examples, BB... but ja, I'm afraid I agree with Richprins' statement. But fortunately the incidents that prove lack of integrity are few and far between. And hopefully stay that way! :x

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jose wrote:
I'm not going to post names and/or examples, BB... but ja, I'm afraid I agree with Richprins' statement. But fortunately the incidents that prove lack of integrity are few and far between. And hopefully stay that way! :x

May I give this a positive turn?

Guys like you Jose are respected by almost all of the forumites, at least those I know. Same goes for the rest who don't go for chit-chat and such. When a complaint goes out from anyone of you someone somewhere listens. I'd like to think that you guys are the quiet "police force" who keep the rest of us on our toes.

So a thank you to you too. I may be wrong but that's my feeling 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Guinea Pig wrote:
Guys like you Jose are respected by almost all of the forumites, at least those I know. Same goes for the rest who don't go for chit-chat and such. When a complaint goes out from anyone of you someone somewhere listens. I'd like to think that you guys are the quiet "police force" who keep the rest of us on our toes.

May i also say that i to respect everyone of you. And sorry if i have made anyone feel unwelcome or not wanted. i have a way of doing that.

P.S. i am a chit chater :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

timbo wrote:

P.S. i am a chit chater :redface:

Timbo, I'm the ultimate chit chatter! :redface: :lol: Just a story:

I joined in November 2004 under my own name, Santie. Then got a mouthful because I was guilty of just that. I RESIGNED! :lol: Have a look in the memberlist, you'll find me there as Santie. I got convinced to try again and rejoined as Guinea Pig. I've had so many mouthfuls in this place it's unbelieveable :redface: But I'm still around :twisted:

Point is there are forumites that've been on forums longer than I knew they existed! So I learnt to listen, change my attitude now and then, and enjoy.

So yes, I respect the members with more experience 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:59 pm 

Been on the forum from jan 2005 and done my fair bit of posting and now try to work my way around as a mod.

My opinion.
Its a bit like a big family with its little bumps but mostly warm ,genuine and friendly 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:05 pm 

Nicely said, Bert... :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

When I joined forum some years ago, I had already been actively involved on two other forums - I will admit some of the people were very pleasant, others not so, and the not so ones managed to join this one as well, but see they are no longer active. The whole layout of this forum with all the threads was different to the others and easy to negotiate. People were welcoming polite and informative.
This forum gave me what I was looking for - interest in wildlife - reading the reports on Trip reports with helping to plan trips, information on camps etc and so on. Not forgetting to mention the cams - seeing an ellie or whatever at the cams made me feel just that much closer to nature., Over time I have made friends with many of the forumites I agree that there should be a thread such as chit chat, amazing how much stress relief you get from being on that thread after a bad day at the office.
So if members do not feel comfortable here, then why log in here in the first place and gripe and complain because the forum with all it's threads it not to their liking. You are not being forced to remain here. What a sad boring world it would be if we were all the same, I respect you for your likes and dislikes, but please don't try and force us to have the same likes and dislikes as you. I am old enough to decide that for myself.

Last edited by Foxy on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well said Foxy.

GP-> i respect your view as you have been on the forum for much longer then me. i am probable one of the youngest in both age and in maturity (if thats a word). I love the chit chat but by far my favourite (even though it doesn't show) has to be the bird thread and the animal thread. I just love the knowledge most of the forumites can say and yes some people do give false information, but trust me i will never. Oh ya and I may be one of those forumites that Jose was talking bout.

Oh no i am not :evil: (please dont take offense to this)

And in the last 6 months i have been shouted at a lot. Espiecially from certain forumites. But i really dont give a damn about what you say except for that Happy birthday Pic (Jose and DB will no what i am talking about). I am truely sorry for this. Ps. your not the one shouting at me, just to clear that up.

Well i hope we can envolve from this and start enjoying the forum more.

:EDIT: to correct a spelling error. well said foxy.

Last edited by timbo on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Timbo, thanks for that.
We also have to learn that teenagers are playful and often full of pranks. It is normal.
When it sometimes gets out of line, the mods can step in :wink:

I love the fact that the forum does attract young people.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well spoken timbot, but just to clear this
timbo wrote:
<...>Oh ya and I may be one of those forumites that Jose was talking bout. <...>
up... I was talking about
Richprins wrote:
<...>"forumites" purposely provide bogus information<...>
for other reasons than an occasional joke, and you're not one of them. I also seem to remember that we had agreed to never mention the birthday pic again? :wink:

Santie (note the lower case? :lol: )/GP: Thank you! And I mean that! :D (Don't underestimate yourself... thanks to you at least 10,000+ forum members now know that there are no springboks in Kruger :lol: :P )

Foxy: *chuckle*. You know that I know that you know that I know... etc. :lol: And they now know too?

So guys... when are we going to take another wormhole ride? (If I can persuade the "coffeeman" to tell me where he hid the keys and (off)parked the blerry thing this time...) IIRC last time - and thanks to our designated map reader (Freda) we ended up shopping in Paris. Which wasn't bad, except that we were aiming for Lower Sabie... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next