Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: OH BH!!! :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
Now someone will post you in the "shame on you" thread :shock:

Post subject: Re: Negative versus Positive
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
I have just come across the following quote which I feel is very apt for this topic. As MM posted; it is not about what one says, but how it is being said.

Quote:
"If you are humble, you are no threat to anybody. Some behave in a way that dominates others. That's a mistake. If you want the cooperation of humans around you, you must make them feel they are important—and you do that by being genuine and humble. You know that other people have qualities that may be better than your own. Let them express them." — Nelson Mandela

A brilliant quote by a man that is seen as a legend by people the world over. Unfortunately, my feeling is that currently on the forum, there are those that believe that by dominating and belittling others, they get their point across. What they dont see is that they get their point across verbally, but in the process alienate anyone from taking notice of what they have to say, which is a pity as the contents of their posting could be light bulb stff.

There is far too much attacking the person rather than the ball ( as mentioned by MM) imho, and good debates are being spoilt and degenerating to the points that the mods need to lock sites.

I wish we could stop differentiating between oldies and newbies. Both have the same amount to offer. It just depends on their experiences in the park. Also, some newbies have thick outer skins, and do not mind the abrasiveness of some members. Some oldies leave as they can no longer take the demeaning remarks.

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all :D

So, I would like to apologise for getting faaaaaar too worked up on the "Snake Scare at Nassob" thread. I try to present scientific "facts" when I address an issue like this and try to avoid being too emotional... But, in this case I got frustrated as it seemed what I was presenting was being ignored and responded to with opinions (unfortunately I find this extremely frustrating - but am trying to work on this I promise) and I carried on argueing when I should have stepped down long ago!!

I try not to be a negative person, but unfortunately because I am a passionate person, especially regarding nature and the environment, the two occassionally get mixed into a haze of frantic rubbish!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:43 pm 

Do you 'mites feel the mods should step in quicker and lock topics that have turned nasty? I know the poster of this topic is talking about negative topics, so I am taking the discussion slightly off topic.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bushfairy, I do not think that you were guilty of being either rude or negative in that thread. I think you presented facts in a calm and non emotional way, and never once resorted to throwing insults or getting personal.

DB, I dont know if locking topics quicker is the way to go, but maybe warnings to the guilty parties who are turning the forums nasty would be more effective imo.

I love to play in God's Playground

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

very good question DB...and I'm afraid it is a conundrum...a 'damned if you do...damned if you don't' type scenario. I do not envy the juggling job you folks have up there in Mods...or is it down there in Mods :twisted: I'm sure there is much discussion going on behind the scenes before any thing is locked. I do think that some mites do not realize that it is not any one Mod who makes these decisions tho :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 pm 

On the positive side, there are not too many topics that gets locked and I think a good showdown at the OK Corral is good. :thumbs_up:

On the negative side, IMHO I think that the mods might lock threads faster if specific mites are involved & gets affronted. Basically like me giving on of my children a talking to but the other can go oooon & oooon. :whistle: But that is only my opinion, and those mites might complain faster that the thickskinned lot out there :twisted:

Quote:
DB, I dont know if locking topics quicker is the way to go, but maybe warnings to the guilty parties who are turning the forums nasty would be more effective imo.

Hey Terry, I am on my final warning already :tongue:

Good luck Mods. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks terryc! It sometimes worries me as to how other people (all of us) perceive posts (in general) as it is very difficult to read the tone or emotion behind the words! Anyway, thank you for your kind words terryc, much appreciated!!

I agree, DB, I think it depends who is posting on the thread as to how quickly it should be locked (this sounds incredibly biased, but it seems there are people who are generally "positive and calm" which others are generally "negative and confrontational"). Either way, I do not envy your job one bit!! good luck....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bushfairy, we are all going to get heated at some point, :wink: I certainly do. I have also had to apologise on more than one occasion, that is life. I have enjoyed your contribution and have found it very worthwhile.

I find that I have problems when there is a complete degeneration, when there is bullying, or when there is racism.

On a previous thread someone objected to bringing the topic of racism in, as "politics" was not allowed. What a Freudian slip. Racism and politics can be in the same bed together, but they are not one and the same.

Racism to me is a violation of dignity and does not belong here or in Sanparks. Like littering, speeding and general breaking of rules, it needs to be nipped in the bud as soon as it appears. Here I think the mods should be allowed to act decisively and with vigour.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: MM ...Hear Hear!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks MM :)

I agree with you 100%. Remarks about race and intelligence should be handled with a zero tolerance policy! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
Meandering Mouse wrote:

Hidden insinuations about people or aspects of Sanparks that cannot be openly refuted or debated.

Hey MM!

It is simply not legally viable to place direct accusations at SANPARKS people or other people, for that matter, regarding problems.

That is the real world.

I know it is not ideal, but more good than bad comes, and has come, from behind the scenes responses.

Ultimately the goal of protecting SANPARKS for the future is served, and a few temporarily bruised egos along the way is worth it, IMHO.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm 
Meandering Mouse wrote:
I find that I have problems when there is racism.

I'm sorry, but I have not seen racism on the forums....

Unless it is "insinuated" or "unproven" etc... :huh:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Richprins wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:

Hidden insinuations about people or aspects of Sanparks that cannot be openly refuted or debated.

Hey MM!

It is simply not legally viable to place direct accusations at SANPARKS people or other people, for that matter, regarding problems.

Perhaps we shouldn't use this forum to accuse people or organisations. There are other more appropriate means for that.

The SANParks forum is meaningful for feedback, opinions, (constructive) critism - positive and negative.

I believe MM was talking about using generalisations when posting on the forums:

Quote:
Generalisations: it is not constuctive and defeats the purpose of bringing up certain issues. Be specific and give examples if needed. "All and none" are dangerous concepts.

If you can't debate about an issue, there is little point in posting it on the forum.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm 

Racism on these forums is against the rules. The moderators attempt to edit/remove all posts that are against the rules, particularly Rule # 8.

This topic will now be locked according to the 24 hour rule.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next