Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Website stealing our photos from the forum
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 am 
I have found some of my photos being used on the following website, without my permission :naughty: :
http://www.krugerpark.com/

The photos were copied from the forum….for example
Two of my photos I posted in the Olifants thread appear on this website’s Olifants page
SANParks site
The Krugerpark.com site

Same goes for two of my Sirheni photos
SANParks site
The Krugerpark.com site

There are also some of my photos on their Lower Sabie and Bateleur pages. I have also spotted some pix that I know belong to other ‘mites….

I’ve just contacted the owners of this site….spoke to a LJ (??)….according to him they have SANPark’s permission to use all these images :huh: :huh:

Post subject: Re: Website stealing our photos from the forum
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I posted a heads-up to Admin.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 am 

They do NOT have permission to use the photo's. The photo's belong to the photographer until he has signed a release form to someone else. That is why I put my copyright logo on all my photos uploaded onto any forum. We once had a similar thing happen on an aviation forum, it got quite nasty. There are huge legal implications and whoever uses these photos can find BIG law suits coming there way. I have photos for sale on stock libraries overseas, these photos can sell for more than a US$1000 each. If I was you I would get in touch with whoever has used them. :evil:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 am 
DuQues wrote:
I posted a heads-up to Admin.

Thanks DQ…the guy I spoke to had quite an attitude about this. :evil:
BTW, noticed that one of Madach’s Sirheni photos is also on there.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I doubt very much if SANPARKS would even allow them to use "Krugerpark.com" as a website to attract clients .
They are obviously totally unprofesional because they have not even got their own photos , probably because stilll have to make their first visit .
I suspect there is going to be a lot of this type of fleecing of unsuspecting world cup tourists in 2010 .

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 am 

If I find my photos being used without my permission, I will be on my way to get quotes for the big lenses I have always wanted but could not afford. These guys will be helping me stock up my camera gear at their own expense. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree Sprocky, there are copy right issues.

One way to use photos taken by somebody else is to get the photographer's permission and normally you have to give credit to such photographer and/or link. I did this on the Shark Conservation thread.

Another way is to buy photos from stock-photo websites. I also did this and cheap photos costs approximately $1 each.

You can also use photos in the public domain on the internet, but you still have to give credit to the photographer and/or the link.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 am 

Another point is that one or two photos there have people in them, these people can also sue the photographer or the person that used these shots without permission if they have not signed a model release form. Contravening of copy right laws can become very nasty.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 am 
Sprocky wrote:
If I find my photos being used without my permission, I will be on my way to get quotes for the big lenses I have always wanted but could not afford. These guys will be helping me stock up my camera gear at their own expense. :twisted:

Ok, let me start shopping :dance: :lol: ….had a further look at the website and seems ALL their pages of SANParks venues have been compiled with photos from this forum….found even more of my photos in the Kgalagadi and Mapungubwe pages :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am 

Jumbo, if I was you I would get in contact with a copyright lawyer. I would not leave this one, and it could save other people from having their photos used illegally.

This is theft!!! :evil:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

More pictures of Madach and FD here
http://www.krugerpark.com/lower-sabie.htm

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:09 am 
Sprocky wrote:
Jumbo, if I was you I would get in contact with a copyright lawyer. I would not leave this one, and it could save other people from having their photos used illegally.

Hmmmm…Tell you what…they can use the pictures of mine they currently have, if they make a R50 000 donation to the maintenance of wind pumps in the Kgalagadi. :twisted: :dance:

bert wrote:
More pictures of Madach and FD here
http://www.krugerpark.com/lower-sabie.htm

Almost all the photos on the following page belongs to Jakkalsbessie
http://www.krugerpark.com/tshugulu.htm

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 am 

Having been down this road several times in the past, the difficulty comes when a picture, or a document is in the public domain and has been for some time, it is extremely difficult to claim ownership, unless there is a watermark or embossment on the picture, with a registered trademark belonging to the owner on them. Well even having your name on the photo doesnt mean that you will be protected

A lot of companies and organisations wont have your picture on them with the your watermarks/embossments on them as it is their website, so we sit with a catch 22 situation.

Cost of litigation/ as apposed to what you will achieve/recieve at the end of the day (the stress!!!) - is it worth it ?????

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was surprised on reading this thread this morning and asking myself a few questions.
1. Was Sanparks aware of all this?
2. If they were did they think about the implications it would have

A few of us will now think twice about posting any of our pictures unless we have some guarantee on our copyrights.

In my opinion the people involved should team up and handle the matter as a group, doing it individually would be complicated, time wasting and expensive.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you very much for the alert!

KrugerPark.com have been handed an official notice from SANParks to remove all copyright materials by 17h00 today, 8 July 2009.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next