SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A child is born
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On the 27th November, 2004, Sanparks gave birth to an infant.

As with many births, its arrival was heralded by planning, dreaming, visualising. Hours were spent on preparation. Resources were poured into this little mite's well being. Indeed, it was a child of dedication, expectation and hope.

Once born, the child took on its own life. The parents had to wait and watch how this child would grow and develop. Would it be robust? Would it be potent? How would the child survive in a world so filled with challege and sometimes danger?

The parents also had to learn the balance that every parent knows, when to hold tight, when to let go.

The child indeed grew to be lively, a great source of joy. It developed muscles, an independant life. This child, the parents realised, needed guardians, people who could guide it, watch it, care for it with love... people who they thought demonstrated fairness and passion.

As the child grew, guardians came and went. They had to guide the child though a world filled with many who could abuse the child, hurt the child. They tried to steer the child through occasional stormy weather. They needed to do what parents do, stay firm in order to set free.

Then the child outgrew its clothes. It needed a new look. Many were playing with the child. They loved its delightful robust nature. They loved its playfulness, they loved that this child could draw people together..... and the parents admired the child. They saw a life that had endless potential. They saw through the eyes of hope. Their child was called "potential".

I have been amazed at this child's nature. I have thrilled at its ability to unite. I have also seen how it has had to face many challenges. I am deeply grateful for what the child has had to offer. Like the parent's, I see a child filled with endless potential.

Post subject: Re: A child is born
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

...and That is why YOU are so special to all of us MM...I don't know where you get this insight fullness, perhaps you were just born with it...but I treasure reading your words of wisdom, and at times compassion.
It fills my heart with gladness that tightness my very being, to have had the pleasure of meeting you in person...and I hope to meet you again.
Love always
Lockie

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: Well said, MM - and I think this child is now entering it's adolescent years, and not quite sure how to behave. Does it follow the example of its friends, or does it try to conform with the value system its parents and guardians believe is correct.

This young person, not a child any more, has developed his/her own personality, and this is unique to this young person. And this young person is also testing its boundaries, looking outside at the wide,wide world, and not quite sure how to behave. Like all adolescents, it wants to be "cool', but this creates conflict with its guardians and parents value system. And like most adolescents, this leads to conflict and major mood swings.

So give this young person some room to be its own person - be firm and help it develop, but not so strict as to smother it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We will meet again Lockie :wink: the pleasure was mine, I can assure you.

Thing is, I do not see the forum as a computer screen. For me it is about energy and life. It has given me so much, I have learnt so much. It has challened me to widen my knowledge, develop new friendships.

I can see how this can become even more than we realise.

I recognise that we need challenges in our lives in order to grow. I also recognise that many of these challenges can be painful and come in a form that we would rather leave out of our lives. I remember reading once that if we pray for courage, we will have to be given fear, for how else could be develop courage? So be careful what you pray for :wink:

What I would like to do with this thread is invite everyone into the bigger picture. Lets not be dragged into power stuggles and squabbles that hurt and get nowhere.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: :clap: MM.

I treat it very much like a fruit salad. All the ingredients need to be there to make the fruit salad, but you get to pick what you need or want out when you dish. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

....and the child is now at the 'but everybody else does it' stage!.......

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The child is indeed growing up.

Billyf, I fully concur with you especially your 1st paragraph.

MM I also agree with your two posts above your paragraph 4 above is quite true.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
This American who is in love with South Africa and Kruger, is thankful for "the child" and for it's members. Members like Meandering Mouse who has been so kind and helpful to me since I joined the forum.
I have worked for a number of years in the computer Industry, and have been a user of the internet since the early 1990's, and I would like to say that the Sanparks.org website is the best most robust government website I have ever seen, and ranks among the best websites in the world too.
My hat is off to those who had the foresight to make an outstanding website and tool for people who want to enjoy South Africa's National Parks, even if only online. I am proud to be a member of the Sanparks Forum, and only hope and aspire to become a positive force for the forum.
I am known at my job as the "Africa Guy" to those who don't know my name, because South Africa and Sanparks are a part of many of my conversations. I work daily to spread the word and evangelize for Kruger and Sanparks, as I know many others do. The child has brought people from all over the world together to share a common passion. I feel fortunate to have found this child and been allowed to partake in it's wonder!

Last edited by normana53 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

MM your insight into the world never ceases to amaze me :thumbs_up: :clap: very nice thread and one that i think is very important at the moment.

BillyF and EJ have also hit the nail on the head :thumbs_up: SANparks is a very special forum and i don't see why some people have to compare it to other forums, no i have not been on any others but i think that, no i know that SANparks is different and i dont want it to change.

The child will soon be over the bumpy "rebel" years and accept that the beliefs and ideals of its parents and guardians are there for a reason :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lovely post MM! :clap: :clap:

You are such a clever mousie! You summarise our feelings for this forum so well.

I am always amazed how fast this child has grown. In the last two years the membership has almost doubled. Nearly 17,500 'mites. That is colossal amount of people to administer.

Croc Bridge - 6 April 2012
Berg en Dal - 7&8 April 2012

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 am 

MM, again a brilliant posting, truely our "Angel of the year" :clap: :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am 

Truly a brilliant and inspiring post there MM, something one doesn’t always notice is how it goes through challenges and changes and how it grows, thank you :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up:

Spare the rod & spoil the child, it's in the Good Book. :whistle: