Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 4 of 6
 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: BB says bye bye
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hawk - some more wise words from the Eastern Cape. Well said. :thumbs_up:

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My apologizes to you Sprocky...I thought on pg. 4 you said "senior members of society"...I didn't realize you only said "society"...

Those pesky Mods were at it again, editing your posts...eish.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:06 pm 

No sweat Africat, time to get our asses to a decent thread that contributes to conservation. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Suitable language for the forum
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

michel367 wrote:
Hawk you are quite right, but there must also be a distinction between "harmless"and "harmful"words.

I know that its a very thin line, but I believe that we are all old enough to make that distinction ourselfs thank you.

In the schools principal example the use of the word would not be harmful, unless one took the action literally, but it would be distasteful.

You may be old enough to decide what language you think is acceptable, but shouldnt we set an example to the youngsters who use the forum.

English is such a rich language, they are so may ways to express what we want to say. Are simple, crude expressions really necessary here. Keep it for the braai or the pub boys.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:17 pm 

I can use the english language very well thank you, but then again that would not be understood by most people.
That's why I and most of us use a understandable form of the language and yes. Maybe sometimes we are walking the thin line a little bit too much, but still there is no harm intended and if someone is offended by a certain choice of words. Just send a direct PM and I'm sure that all (most) of us shall be very oblidged to correct our choice of words.
That, in my book at least, is called being a mature human with a good sence of what's right and what's wrong.

Last edited by michel367 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scipio wrote:
Quote:
"What may be necessary to get a little more effort from our students is for our teachers to kick a few kids asses".

Maybe thats a good idea. :hmz: The Kicking I mean. :twisted:

Sprocky, your language is terrible, you should use words like Hiney, Posterior, etc. :lol:

Scipio, making fun of the issue is not very helpful. I would imagine you would not appreciate posts that made light of your concerns about rule breakers.

Last edited by Hawk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:26 pm 

Right. I see that the game is over. :hmz: :whistle: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:29 pm 

Sprocky wrote:
OK, so lets get back to the old SA and officer language courses....

Scintillating scintillating diminutive asterix.

For the uneducated non SADF officers, this means...

Twinkle twinkle little star. :wink:

I have been desperately looking for the words to the spoof
"Scintillating ..." (although I remember it as oscillating). Please post those you can remember.

I would really appreciate this.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm 

@ Hawk, I had the great opportunity to meet some "mites over X-mas, aged 11, 17 and also young. It is correct to moderate the language on the forum for their sake. :thumbs_up: But IMHO this is such a daft topic. Clever people should be able to express their opinion without getting their behinds kicked for a trivial thing cause some @$$ expressed their dissatisfaction over a word that is not at all IMHO as bad as related. :wink:

Also, & this is one thing that is great from the Mods(They always PM me) :thumbs_up: give another person the time of day when a post gets edited, this forum is great, but no one is above the total sphere of what this is all about, not even the mods.

& Lastly, yes, I may make a joke cause I really think that this topic is stupid, as there are rules, break them & you go, but don't moderate the forum to a state where only certain peeps are welcome.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The word pedantic comes to mind :hmz:

Sprocky from my understanding you wrote the word 'ass'. If so I cant believe the word 'ass' is now not allowed on the forum. Somebody's got to grow up - after all this website deals with wildlife in part and for those who dont know an 'ass' happens to be a species of animal!

Any 'kid' on the forum more than likely has access to the whole internet where all kinds of harmful material can be found. The odd word like ass is not going to do any harm. I understand you have to draw the line somewhere but at the same time I notice mods attacking various forumites for petty things where other forumites would get away with it. I know people get upset on the forum and have those members they dont like but its quite sad when mods focus on certain individuals and when they get a response they dont like, they get on power trips.

My input in this forum mostly has to do with factual things and I stay away from the chit-chat at the moment etc because I dont have time to be constantly online so the way I see it is that all members are equally important (mods or not - although the mods must be commended for the time they put in) and even if they irritate you their thoughs should be heard!

Its will also be sad to loose BushBaptist because although I havn't always agreed with his posts and have almost been irritated at times, its people like him that make this part of the internet entertaining!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:41 pm 

O-dog you don't comment so often, but when you do you hit the nail on the head. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

haha thanx michel367 :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:58 pm 

Ladies and gentlemen
I have read every submission and can see quite clearly that you all consider that you are using the same language - English. You are wrong.
Each country/region/continent speaks a different version of english, many words have a different spelling, pronunciation and meaning.
This forum is multinational and therefore all of us need perhaps to be a bit more carefull about what we say and how we say it.
An amusing phase in SA may really upset someone else in another part of the world.
Countries have gone to war for less in centuries past!!
It is not about age it is about maturity and understanding your environment and that of your fellow forumites.

Enough from me apart from:
Wherever you are in the world may 2010 be all that you want of it

Kind regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JDW

I see you use the word 'enough' ...how can you be sure that that doesnt offend somebody somewhere. If I say I drove my Pajero, to you that would hopefully bmean a type of 4x4; if we were in a Spanish country it means something else.
The language here is english. Must we talk about the Wild a** of Asia by its latin name so we dont offend everyone?? Come on!!!
Someone is always offended somewhere by something. Come to South Africa to learn how to use words in various contexts because if we say the wrong thing here it can be racist even if that wasn't the intention. I wish people would be more open minded and stop looking for reasons to critiscise.
If the word ass offends you have to reconsider the high risk of exposing yourself on this forum....because you never know, the word 'bum' might just come up as well. Oh my word I said 'bum' ...I wonder how many people I just offended there!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 pm 

michel367 wrote:
O-dog you don't comment so often, but when you do you hit the nail on the head. :thumbs_up:

Totally agree with what you have said Michel...O-dogs above post hits at the core of the problem and reminds me all over again how my hubby was driven from here and prevented from earning a living for our family guiding at Addo by over zelous folk for amongst other things not paragraphing enough in his posts, using the fact that he was a FGASA Guide in his signature etc...yet we have prominent connected mites who have their commercial websites openly advertised, Joshlewis even advertises what grade FGASA guide he is and one of my hubbys best mates at the same time wrote a report on his Addo trip that went to I think 2 full pages with hardly a paragraph... and quite acceptable as this friend was not a target...Indirect selective bullying at its best and so unnecessary...on all the other forums we belong to there is no interference and favoritism which by all accounts is still here full on and so unlike SANParks image and our general experience with the organisation built up over 50 yrs

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next