Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Members' profile
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Micetta wrote:
Scipio :naughty: The correct wording is in the Forum ABC and the H stand for head ROFLMHO :roll: :lol:

Micetta, its OK to always add new words or expressions - its up to the Forum ABC to catch up - I think LMGA is the best description of this thread :lol: :lol: (Translated LMAO) :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:57 pm 

billyf wrote:
Micetta wrote:
Scipio :naughty: The correct wording is in the Forum ABC and the H stand for head ROFLMHO :roll: :lol:

Micetta, its OK to always add new words or expressions - its up to the Forum ABC to catch up - I think LMGA is the best description of this thread :lol: :lol: (Translated LMAO) :twisted:

Looks like I'm back in the army again. :doh:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

billyf wrote:
Micetta wrote:

Didn't remember that one, I had to look it up :redface: :shock: Billy I always thought you were a gentleman :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Michel367, it also brings back memories of my 101 Batallion years in the former SWA...

TROEP!!!

JA SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU JA SANT???

EKSKUUS SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU EKSKUUS SANT???

JAMMER SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU JAMMER SANT??? GIVE ME 50 OFFPUN (OSCAR, FOXTROT, FOXTROT, PAPA, UNIFORM, NOVEMBER!!!)
= on floor, fifty push ups NOW! :lol: :tongue:

Translation: Hogwash :redface:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 pm 

Micetta wrote:
billyf wrote:
Micetta wrote:

Didn't remember that one, I had to look it up :redface: :shock: Billy I always thought you were a gentleman :lol:

A broad minded gentleman :lol: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 am 

Quote:
Scipio The correct wording is in the Forum ABC and the H stand for head ROFLMHO

ROFLMHO :thumbs_up:

What does Forum ABC stand for.

:hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm 

Elzet wrote:
Michel367, it also brings back memories of my 101 Batallion years in the former SWA...

TROEP!!!

JA SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU JA SANT???

EKSKUUS SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU EKSKUUS SANT???

JAMMER SANT!!!

WIE DE EMMER IS JOU JAMMER SANT??? GIVE ME 50 OFFPUN (OSCAR, FOXTROT, FOXTROT, PAPA, UNIFORM, NOVEMBER!!!)
= on floor, fifty push ups NOW! :lol: :tongue:

Translation: Hogwash :redface:

Beautiful LZ. :lol: Just beautiful. :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

oddesy wrote:
This is a tough one, as has been said the whole thing of internet is the idea of being kind of anonomous. But after a while most people have a good idea of whats what. :wink: i think lots of hes get accidently called shes and vice versa, i was called a she, hey elzet :lol:

O :lol: :lol:, in fact I thought you were M1916's SO! :redface: :lol: :wink:

M367, :lol: :lol: You wanna hear about the time that I was in the Parabats (44 Regiment) and the consequences of HALO/HAHO ?? 8) :huh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 pm 

Elzet wrote:
oddesy wrote:
This is a tough one, as has been said the whole thing of internet is the idea of being kind of anonomous. But after a while most people have a good idea of whats what. :wink: i think lots of hes get accidently called shes and vice versa, i was called a she, hey elzet :lol:

O :lol: :lol:, in fact I thought you were M1916's SO! :redface: :lol: :wink:

M367, :lol: :lol: You wanna hear about the time that I was in the Parabats (44 Regiment) and the consequences of HALO/HAHO ?? 8) :huh:

You in parabats???
Let's hear it then :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:41 pm 

Elzet wrote:
oddesy wrote:

You're not a she???
:hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 pm 

It's a He, jeez, and Mike is its Brother. :lol:

You guys dont watch the threads like I do. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:48 pm 

Hey. Some of us has too work too you know. :whistle:
No time for fun as much as the Phallies. :thumbs_up: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hiya M367 :lol: :lol: , you missed the fact that I was in 101 Batalion on the border? Even though I am too humble to admit, please note that I was so good, that they had no choice but to fly me from bakboord to stuurboord to make use of my services - to train the rookies. In fact, I also served in the Rhodesian Light Infantry. :roll: But that's a story for another day.

Okay, let me tell you about Operation Neverlie...

I wore a maroon beret during this period. It went well with my hair colour. 8) Bloem was wetter than usual. A parabat (Parachute Batallion) is a South African paratrooper (for the sake of the Phallies I include this explanation). :twisted: The history of the Parabats started on 1 April 1961 with the formation of 1 Parachute Battalion (after 1994 renamed to Parachute Training Centre). Us, who served in the special forces, never got the hang of the new name. 8) The motto of the Parabats is Ex alto vincimus, meaning "We conquer from above". And that is just what we did. :thumbs_up: :wink:

In 1986, the Parabats embarked on their first HALO/HAHO (High altitude Low Opening/High Altutude High Opening = Hotel Alfa Lima October/Hotel Alfa Hotel October) course in Bloemfontein. This would enable the Parabats to drop in to enemy territory from aircraft following commercial routes. Two CIA operatives (some strange looking guy and I) 8) had previously arrived in South Africa in 1981 to train the Parabats in this new form of free fall. 8)

Well, I had no problem to show them the ropes, so to speak. My ropes were safely on the ground when I tried to pull the lightweight nylon kernmantle cord called the bridle. So it was time to use my reserve - the parachute of my co-instructor from the CIA, that is. :tongue: :lol: Image

---

About Operation Aunt Sparrow:

A very distinctive tradition of the Parabats concerns Tannie Mossie (English: Aunt Sparrow).

Tannie Mossie is Ms Joan Abrams, a teacher in the city of Bloemfontein. She chose the name after the legend of a group of women who requested government to put a sparrow on the smallest coin in South Africa’s currency denomination. The reference comes from the Bible in Matthew 10:29: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father".

Tannie Mossie wanted every soldier to know that God will protect them “falling from the sky” with their parachutes. She handed every soldier a necklace, consisting of a half cent on a string of para-cord, before they were deployed for active duty, telling them the story of the women and of Matthew 10:29. She truly loved the soldiers and the duty they were doing for their country and took it upon herself to be a mother or loving aunt to all of them. She enlisted thousands of elementary school children to write letters to the parabats, usually titled: Liewe Oom Dapper Soldaat (Dear Uncle Brave Soldier).

These letters made an impact on many soldiers, not only providing a face of the innocents that the soldiers were protecting, but also much more. Even soldiers killed in action were found with some of these letters, tattered from repeated reading, folded inside their pocket Bibles. Lifelong friendships were found with families from these letters and an unknown amount of motivation came from them.

Apart from letters, Tannie Mossie made sure that paratroopers regularly got other mail, food parcels, visits and even published a few books – which were mostly compilations of soldiers’ tales. :clap: :thumbs_up:

Last edited by Elzet on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:04 pm 

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow , SWA & 101 Bn Elzet ??!!
Will pm you soon .

Please tell me if there is a system problem preventing me from changing my avatar even though I have resized them suitably I get the prompt that they are too large . I delete the current image and browse for the correctly sized image I want to replace it with , have done so on numerous occasions in the past and it allways worked ...
I resize on irfanview to as small as 45 x 66 , still no luck .
As far as I know and can see the size is within the limits .

Any advice ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next