SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: People with disabilities
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have been of line for a while.
Can anybody tell me in new facillities has been made available for People with disabilities in the Kruger park.
We are planning a two week trip in the south end of the park.

Thank You

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi louis, have you looked here and here there may be information on these pages that will help.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bouf wrote:
Hi louis, have you looked here and here there may be information on these pages that will help.

Thank You

Post subject: Disability Access in Southern Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Louis,

Thanks to Bouf for pointing you in the right direction in terms of information.

I'm staff from head office (formerly in the park). I'm also a paraplegic. Last year we did an audit of the camps in Southern Kruger and identified several areas where improvements in the access offering needed to be made (mainly to the existing accessible accommodation - particularly at Berg-en-Dal). To my knowledge only camping ablutions at Skukuza and a guest house at Lower Sabie have been addressed since then, which is irritating, but then there may have been some stuff I'm not aware of.

One exciting addition is a boardwalk at the Nursery. I haven't tried it out yet, but I think it goes adjacent to Lake Panic which should be great. I'm only going to get a chance to see it in August, so you can check the website after that.

Another exciting addition that should be partially ready by the end of August is a universally accessible camp trail and info centre in Pretoriuskop courtesy of the Lowveld Honorary Rangers.

If you want more information or to discuss anything you are welcome to call me on 012 426 5036.

Regards

Owl

Post subject: Activities at Wilderness / Tsitsikamma
Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can someone help me finding out if / which of the activities, e. g. canoeing, at Wilderness and Tsitsikamma are fit for people in a wheelchair (tetraplegic / high paraplegic)?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:09 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Zypresse,

I can offer advice from a paraplegic perspective:

The thing about Tsitsikamma and Wilderness is that there are many privately run activities in the area of the parks. There will be many I haven't experienced, but I make mention of a couple I have.

Trails:
Most of the walks in the area have difficult terrain, paths too narrow to accommodate a wheelchair, tree roots, soft ground etc. However in the Nature's Valley section of Tsitsikamma there is an accessible boardwalk through the forest. It's not the longest, but it does allow one to get away from the road and be surrounded purely by forest. offers great bird and other wildife sightings.

There is also a trail between Plett and Knysna on the N2 called the Garden of Eden - which is wheelchair friendly. Other trails at Wilderness are partly accessible - one can enter the forest but not travel indefinitely.

Monkeyland and Birds of Eden:
This is between Tsitsikamma and Plett on the N2. Birds of Eden is fully accessible, with the path ramped all the way. It is a bit steep in parts, but if you aren't up to pushing the guides are on hand to help. Monkeyland is predominantly wheelchair friendly, but a couple of swing bridges are quite tricky. They used to give concession to wheelchair visitors because of this, but don't know if they still do.

Canopy Tours:
This cannot classify as accessible, but can be done if you are prepared to put up with being lifted and sign the indemnity. They will attach you to one of the guides between platforms and then the guides will carry you up from the bottom of the gorge.

Snorkelling:
This can be done through the park. I'm not sure who coordinates it. Perhaps phone the park in advance and ask to speak to Elzette Bester.

Horse-riding:
There used to be a horse stable based at Swartvlei in Wilderness called Cherie's Riding School that would take people with disabilities under careful supervision. Last I heard they'd moved location to Rheenendal. Don't know if they are still there.

Canoeing:
There are canoes for hire at Ebb&Flow (Wilderness) and Nature's Valley (Tsitsikamma). I haven't used either, but I do frequently canoe elsewhere. As long as there is someone on hand to help you in and out of the boat, both these facilities would be fine. I have been in the canoes on the Keurboom's River - Tsitsikamma side of Plett. I think the only requirement was a life jacket, which is great as it helps pad the spine.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Owl, for this information.
Now I will go on planning our trip. Promise to report later!

Post subject: Re: Most comfortable camps for paraplegics
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Does anybody know if upgrades was done to camps in Kruger for disabled.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Louis,

That I know of this year there have a new 3 bed bungalow for mobility challenged guests added at Berg-en-Dal (which I've been to and can send you photos if you PM me your email address) and another 2 bedder at Pretoriuskop, which I haven't seen.

Last year 4 new bungalows were added at Lower Sabie - 3 on the river and one as part of the old Moffett Guest Cottage. They also finally fixed step in the roll-in shower in the camping ablutions in that camp.

Satara also got 4 new accessible bungalows - 2 in A-Circle and 2 in B-Circle.

Olifants also got a new accessible bungalow with a view over the river.

Check out the following link for images and tips for accessibility at Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara, Tamboti and Punda Maria (with other camps to be added one of these days).
Kruger: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/gr ... lities.php

Cheers

Owl

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were in the park from 15 to 19 december.
We stayed in the following camps with BDZ
Mopani
Satara
Skukuza
Pretorius Kop

All of them had roll in showers so my wife was happy. Small things that can be done at all of them but over all a very nice stay.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:46 pm 

I have also taken my dad who is in a wheelchair due to a stroke twice to the park.
Stayed at skukuza which has good facilities and bungalows for disabled. Didn't have a problem at picnic sites either. Only problem I found with the showers is the shower head is not able to reach him as it is situated on the opposite side of the shower bench and the pressure is very weak.
A big problem was no disabled toilets at Numbi Gate - I did fill in a complaints form and hopefully this will be rectified soon.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

fee i agree with you that water presure is not well in all the showers. Some of the showers head can't even move or adjust. I know SANPARKS are busy with a project to upgrade all facilities including disabled toilets at all camos and gates.

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 pm 

I'm not a wheelchair user but I do have poor mobility due to MS. I use one stick on good days, two sticks/crutches on worse days and a rollator on worst days.

I've been a regular vistor to KNP since 1982 but this year will be my first time since my legs deserted me, I will be looking at facilities with a whole new perspective & I haven't been for a few years so my memory is vague of disabled access - it's not something you take notice of until you need it!

For example - parking arrangements. I believe I can use my UK disabled parking badge in SA (if anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful as info is sparse on the web) but do all the camps have disabled parking? Is access in to restaurants/ shops on a level?

Any info gratefully received.

2010 Trip Report:
Penfold & The Pipster Go Wild

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 am 

Hi Penfold, welcome to the forum.

I'm not mobility impaired myself but I do remember that there are disabled car parking spots (mainly because the one thing I hate is people using them who don't need them). I'm pretty sure that most restaurants have some sort of level access but you may have to walk further to access it. I've no idea about the disabled badge in SA, I'm afraid. Perhaps the FCO might be able to help?

The only one I think you may have problems with is Punda Maria. The adapted accommodation is on the second row and you'll need to park outside your cottage and walk along to the shop/restaurant/office building as there are steps or a steep slope up to them from the main parking area. I also know that there is a slight step from the kitchen area into the bathroom in the adapted cottage there (we stayed there a couple of years ago). You may also need to ask the person in the next cottage to park behind so that you can get your car at the side, there's only room for one car between the cottages and there are steps up from the roadside parking.

Edit: Just noticed you aren't going up that far, but I'll leave the information on PM here, in case it helps someone else.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:33 am 

Hi penfold,

I'm in a wheelchair, and all the camps you are going to is wheelchair friendly. The path in Lower Sabie to the restaurant is steep, so you may need someone to assist you, but further on you will not have a problem.

I'm not sure about the UK disabled parking badge, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Hope you have a nice trip. Waiting to read your TR and watch your photo's. :whistle:

Why can't I be where my is?

West Rand Honorary Ranger Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next