Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Teacher Inspires Environmental Awareness/Educating the young
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A "good news" story about a Limpopo teacher who has been inspiring localchildren to take an interest in nature conservation & the enviroment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Agreed...I've been corresponding with a woman from Teachers Without Borders who is coming to teach in SA and using South African National Parks as a prime teaching tool...one of her exercises is described as follows

"The goal is for learners to become familiar with different South African national parks and their ecosystems, and to develop a pride and stewardship for these national treasures. Learners will do this by working in a small group to create a board game, based on information about a specific SA national park"

Wish I'd had teachers like this at school...great for SANParks too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jaap

Let me add my congratulations! Re: Teachers and SANParks...the best I can do at this stage is direct you to the Environmental Education pages which document SANParks more formal efforts in this field. There are a number of youth outreach initiatives, the junior HRs and a number of parks cater for school visits etc. I had an Enviro teacher who preferred the bush to the classroom-what great times-it adds a whole new dimension to learning...

Re: Teachers without Borders , this is about as much as I know too...The woman I mentioned has just arrived in SA and is using our parks as a core teaching resource in her curriculum-I'm going to organise a) to get her on the forums and b) to do a story on her work for the site...

We also have plans to make parts of the site a whole lot more "kiddie friendly" but this won't happen for a while...the only way to tackle the to do list is one at a time I'm afraid...but we'll get there!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well I'm glad someone reads the front page :wink:

Yes I did a little interview with Barbara here If you would seriously like more info, I'll forward you details to Barbara and she can let you know a little more...just pm me, or send me an e-mail on diannet@sanparks.org Thanks!

Post subject: Educating the Young
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:23 pm 
I am priviledged as a Teacher in the Lowveld to take kids on easy trips to various environmental education facilities, always including Kruger at some stage.

Some of them have joined conservation enterprises over the years, and ALL have appreciated every trip.

Mods, please move or delete if this is not entirely SANPARKS-related, but it is a "member activity", and I would be interested to know the experiences of teachers around the Globe!

Most pics taken at Institutions around the Park, some inside:

Last edited by Richprins on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:10 pm 

Piglet did a series of postings last year about the HR roadshow going off into schools, don't know if you spotted them RP.

Over here

Post subject: Education
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:13 pm 
Thanks very much for the link, saraf!

I'm more into the Secondary phase, which includes various kids, including junkies, preggies and alchies, unfortunately!

Then we get into the normal list of poor, abused and battered kids, all from disfunctional households. Notice we don't even put normal between quotation marks anymore. :cry:

Anyway, some more nice pics!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:01 pm 
Thanks very much for the support, guys! I really appreciate your sentiments.

However, this is not an egotrip for me, as it is really easy in my location. It is great fun, though!

I would really like to hear from other teachers worldwide, as to how they see schools as conservation tools.

timbo, start a club at your school!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:18 pm 
Another couple of pics.

My assistant.

A special moment!