Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Uncomfortableness
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Or some other word for it that I dont know.

Hello everybody

I hope that this isnt a silly question. I dont think so because it is something that makes me quite worked up.

I have booked in mid December for just three day s in KNP because a little trip like that can just take the edge off the craving you know. But I have been thinking and worrying and thinking and worrying. It's gonna be busy hey. Now, when I go to the reserve, I like as much as everybody else to get as close as possible and get the sights and the pictures and all. But when there is something that is bigger than the car I am in then I like to give myself a gap and a gap also to get my cute little you know what out of there.

So, you get to see an elephant and you sort of drift a little closer looking at the ears and eyes and general demeanour of the creature. And you are wary. And next thing, up comes a tour truck full of people and blocks this escape route that you've so carefully planned. And maybe a few more pull up and prevent any sort of plan B development. This has happened to me before. Like an invasion and there I sit in my car with a wife who reckons OK we've had an innings but she really wanted to see the day her children had children. And I tell you, I get upset! And I develop dark thoughts about the fellows of my species.

How do you handle it? I've tried diplomacy and actually been sworn at. And as much as you swear back, you're going to be the flat car who got too close to the elephant and wasnt careful. Where to from here? Do you actually take the plunge for an eye to eye discussion with the driver of the other vehicle/s? Or do you just hope for the best?

Cheers Ed

Post subject: Re: Uncomfortableness
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:22 pm 

You hope for the best. Animals are far more sensible than humans.

I do not think we, and I say the collective 'we', because forum members think alike, are only going to make our lives (more) difficult trying to explain to others in a situation as the one your describe. People will think you are seeing something they cannot so they must get in close as possible and not miss a super one in a million sighting.

Rather try and keep as far away from the madding crowd as you can by driving the less popular routes and hope your time with a BIG guy in the bush will end up being a peaceful encounter (in fact zero encounter) of the fellow human kind .....

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
moobox, we are also going to the park in December and when we see more than a 3 car roadblock we either drive right past or we turn around and go back in the direction that we came from. We (my family of 3) are not prepared to be "bullied" at a sighting, if we cannot see the animal with the naked eye what is the point :hmz: :hmz: We were in Tsendze in July 2012 and came across a female hyena feeding her pups in the road very early one morning, we were the first and only car for almost 10 minutes, the news spread and the next thing we were surrounded by cars and one idiot decided that he wanted a better view and he just started hooting for all the other cars to get out the way, I don't want another experience like that, if I want that sort of a holiday I might as well go drive around the streets of Johannesburg on a Friday afternoon at month end, you must also remember that some people are suffering from "me, myself, I syndrome"

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Moobox, I have been before the 16th and it was surprisingly quiet. On the 16th the crowds started.

I tend to stick to gravel, except the S100. The S100 always attracts traffic.

What has sometimes worked for me, is making my camera visible. I think when people are breaking rules they don't want to find themselves in the Getaway rouges gallery.

The other possibility is a Valium dart. :hmz:

Not sure where you are staying, but even the busiest camps have some quiet roads. The Salitjie road, close to Skuks and Lower Sabie, is an example of a road less traveled in a busy area.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with MM, end of November to mid-December is surprisingly quiet. I have been a couple of times at that time of year, because of circumstances, and have been dreading it - only to find it very quiet.

I also agree, go the back roads, sit at a waterhole - just enjoy being there and see what comes along.

I also hate "traffic jams" and try to get past/through as soon as possible.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Get out of the situation before it develops. If you're at an elephant sighting, and see other cars start arriving, make a move as soon as you can. I know it can spoil the sighting for you, but rather safe than sorry

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja so the general consensus seems to be that you avoid the situation. Get out and go somewhere else. It's probably wise and logical but I get a bad taste being held to ransom by these types.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
moobox, I feel just like you, why should people who are badly behaved and just in the Kruger for the sake of being in the Kruger bully the other visitors who have probably saved up for the whole year and really love the Kruger????

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
tent dweller wrote:
the next thing we were surrounded by cars and one idiot decided that he wanted a better view and he just started hooting for all the other cars to get out the way,

I wonder who was the 'idiot'? Obviously I was not there, but if you were 'surrounded by cars' maybe the 'idiot' just wanted to exercise his right to drive past the 'offside' of the sighting, like I would, and you do. To me the idiots are those who block the road and don't let those not interested in that particular sighting past.

But I might have got it completely wrong.......

I have been very tempted to hoot at the 'leeuverskrik' (lion besotted) who block the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with BB, had that problem so many times before, especially on Eloff Street.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have an other option :twisted: drive a big 4x4 with large "nudge bar" that you don't feel sorry for. People tend to move if they see you are not going to mind the scratch on your cars paint as much as they care about theirs........ :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja well, I'm thinking the "Oops I didnt see you there" isnt what I'm going to do in future. I'm insured anyway.