Skip to Content

I wanna go camping

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: I wanna go camping

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:36 am

This is likely to be your biggest thieving challenge. I have found that bicycle type locks are effective. he rubbery kind that is fairly adjustable. They can be found in good camping shops.

Although they are more bulky, I do prefer a good stretcher bed and mattress. Very hassle free once set up and no midnight surprises.

Good lighting makes a big difference. I take one that is chargeable, so I can use it in place where electricity in not available. I also need a head lamp, one that allows me to read.

A good flask, it saves a lot of hassle if you like more that one morning cup of coffee. I have a Stanley flask that is worth every cent spent. Some of the cheaper flasks have just not lasted.

A table that is easy to fold away. I bought mine at Game and it has lasted for years.

Never forget tent pegs :wink:

This brand new Gazebo, used once ended up in the tree due to an unexpected storm.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Moobox

I have camped in December and March(which I find hotter than December). I never really found the heat to much of a problem, to me the biggest measure to beat the heat is to try and arrive at camp as early as possible to get a good shady site. We also take along a reflective silver fly sheet that we put over the tent which works wonders. When we got sites that didn't have shade that thing is a life saver.

We take along a normal fan that you place on the floor and it works very well. All the caravaners have air-cons so if you wanted to get a small portable air-con I cant see the issue, heck I have seen campers with heaters in winter.

It important to make sure your tent has good ventilation, we sleep with most of our window flaps up to ensure wind flows through the tent.
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby moobox » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks evferyone. Yip that's it. I'm off to get a gazebo type thing. To put the car under. And maybe a normal floorstand fan - yes because ther is power at the camp sites ne. Come to think of it, you do get those portable aircons dont you? Look what I found.

http://www.macspares.co.za/air-conditio ... CdfGXhDvEw

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 am

Exactly, as I say my golden rule for camping is,"Do what ever makes you comfortable"

Have an awesome trip :thumbs_up:
TR December Delights completed
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”