Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: JHB To Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

I have visited family near Pelgrimsrust approx. 2 months ago. The section of the R36 between Machadodorp and Lydenburg (starting where it branches out of the N4 Schoemanskloof loop) is very bad ( Potholed) and cannot be called a road anymore. Stay away.

The portion between Belfast and Dullstroom (R540) is ok. The last approx. one third of this road between Dullstroom and Lydenburg is again very bad (Potholes). If you are not very vigilant while driving here you can seriously damage your vehicle when hitting one of the potholes or cause a serious accident with possible serious results. The roads in Lydenburg are poor. The R36 between Lydenburg and Ohrigstad again have a couple of realy bad patches. I cannot vouch for the road further on.

You did not indicate if you will be towing a caravan or trailer. If so I would recommend that you rather take the road via Nelspruit, Witrivier, Hazyview, Bosbokrand and Acornhoek.

Post subject: Travelling Time Jhb-Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:27 am 

Dear Forumites

We will be going to paradise in a month's time, entering the park at Phalaborwa for our first night's stay in Letaba.

We are planning to take the Lydenburg, Ohrighstad, Hoedspruit route and would love to leave Jhb first thing in the morning, but it being a weekday, the morning peak is a problem. Also, I have a bit of a hang-up about mist and fog (after having been involved in a serious accident in dense fog years ago) so avoiding fog too has to be taken into account.

My idea was to leave Jhb early (before the morning peak; i.e. at 05:30 and go through to Pretoia.
Wait there till about 7:30; dodge the Pretoria peak and head out on the N4 towards Witbank - hopefully by then, any mist/fog on the highveld will have started to clear.

Would it be realistic to do the Pretoria-Phalaborwa distance via Hoedspruit in 6 hours; arriving at the gate at let's say 14:30?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated
Loerie

Post subject: Re: Travelling Time Jhb-Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just had a quick look distance is 345 kilom so with my calc should take a little over 5hrs. So your estimate of 6hrs you should be fine.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:50 am 

Shushin,as i also intend taking this route,does anyone know the condition of the roads via Lydenburg-Ohrigstad etc.? to Phalaborwa

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another alternative, travel via Polokwane then cut across using the R71. At Haenertsburg take the R528 to miss Magoebaskloof, then back onto the R71 at Tzaneen then via Gravelotte to Phalaborwa. That way you can leave at your mentioned time and not have to stop in Pta. Jhbg to Polokwane is about 3 hrs, then to Phalaborwa is approx another 2 1/2 hours and its a good road.

The last time I travelled the Lydenburg road it was in a terrible state.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:33 pm 

Dear Shushin and GlenD

Thank you so much for your replies and for giving us the exact distance, Shushin.
GlenD, I think you convinced me to travel via Polokwane, but I was told there are major road works on the Polokwane rounte - or is that in Magoebaskloof?
Like Shikaari, I would still like to know what the current road conditions are along the Lydenburg route, as it is such a very scenic route. Has anyone recently done that route?

Counting the sleeps (although it is still a month away!)

Post subject: Johannesburg to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

We are starting our trip in Punda Maria. We plan to travel the N1 to Polokwane. After that we are not sure of the best route.

Options seem to be

R81 via Giyani then R524
N1 to Louis Trichardt then R524
N1 towards Musina then R525 and enter @ Pafuri (have been told this is a great drive, just worried about extra time)

We would appreciate any info on road conditions and recommended routes.

Thanks
Janine

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Johannesburg to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:40 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I have done al three.

I suggest Giyani. Good road, not lots of traffic.

Nothing wrong with the other two roads though. But both are going to take you more time.

Travelling through Thohoyandou (the Louis Trichardt route) is time consuming with lots of slow traffic.

Going via Pafuri is a great drive, but as you mentioned it takes a lot of time. And that puts you under time pressure, not allowing you to enjoy the drive down from Pafuri as you should. Rather take a day and drive up from Punda to Pafuri.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 am 

I can echo what GlenD has said.

My 1st choice would be the Polokwane / Tzaneen road. You shouldn't have any issues with mist on the N1. Another plus is that you won't have the rising sun in your eyes, as you would on the N4, all the way to Belfast!

I drove the Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg-Hoedspruit road in March. It's not too bad, get's narrow at times and the odd pothole makes it interresting, but N1 would be better...

*G

Post subject: Re: Best route from Johannesburg to Orpen
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 am 

Hi,

We always take the N12 to Boksburg from OR Tambo airport, then onto the N4. After Witbank we turn off the N4 at the Belfast junction and on to the R540 to pass through Dullstroom (nice place to stop for lunch), Lydenburg, Ohrigstad and round the top of Blyde River Canyon before dropping down into the lowveld after Abel Erasmus pass, driving past Swadini and heading for Orpen Gate.

I think it takes around 6 ½ hours.

It may not be the quickest route, but after the Erasmus pass, it feels like entering another world with the game reserves and fruit farms it feels like Kruger is near.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I agree with the others - Polokwane - Tzaneen. You save a lot of time going on highway to Polokwane and the rest of the route it scenic and not too much traffic.

Have a wonderful trip!

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Re: Road / route from Lydenburg to KNP?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:38 pm 

Hi Mfezi

We have just travelled from Numbi Gate via Lydenberg to Dullstroom, road condition generally is good, there are some pot holes to watch out for, and hopefully there won't be many trucks going your way. It would probably be a better bet than going N4 straight to Malelane, we got stuck in quite a few road works stop and go's on our way.

Very very scenic going from Lydenberg to Numbi, hair raising if you don't like heights...however if you going in at Orpen, you don't quite follow the same route...

Post subject: Re: Road / route from Lydenburg to KNP?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The road from Lydenburg to Hazyview via Sabie has never been a problem for me.
In March I drove Lydenburg-Sabie-Graskop, no problems.
Unless you're going to Malelane or Croc Bridge, there's no reason to go anywhere near the N4 IMO

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:09 am 

Hi everyone,

We will be traveling to Kruger from Bloemfontein and Kimberley on Saterday and plan to enter at Orpen gate on Sunday.Should we use the Belfast,Dullstroom,Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, Blyderiver, Klaserie road or should we rather go further on the N4 and turn of to Sabie and use the Hazyview, Bushbuckridge, Klaserie road?

Thank you for your assistance!

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Div, if I was you, I would have travelled Belfast, Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, Blyderiver, Klaserie road. In the past, I have travelled the Bushbuckridge road, but everytime it was very busy and there were lots of animals to look out for... :shock:

But this is my experience, maybe someone else has had another (better) experience.

Drive safely and have a wonderful trip! :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next