SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best route to Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
N1 to Louis Trichardt, then past Thohoyandou is the most direct, and is a pretty good road too. Just adhere strictly to the speed limit, especially from about 30 kms before Louis Trichardt. The stink mouse dogs are out in force along there, distinctive in their brown and blue livery :lol:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

May 2014
21-25 Indaba 2014 Skuks

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Post subject: Re: Roads to Orpen
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We were there the other week. :dance:

My knowledge of the area will be more limited than local Saffies, but this I what I can tell you.

You can drop down to the R40 from Graskop, which I don't remember being a bad road, it's steep of course and bendy, but otherwise no problem.

Once on the R40 you go north towards Phalaborwa, until you see the Orpen turning.
The road quality is good, but be careful all through Bushbuckridge (which seems to go on for ever!) because there may be pedestrians and livestock crossing the road!!

Once clear of Bushbuck ridge it's very easy.

As I said you take the Orpen turning, and then it's 40kms along a quiet and reasonable road to the gate.

I had read lots of bad reports a year or so back of potholes, so we were a bit wary, but we have now done the journey twice recently and found absolutely no problems.the occasional pothole, like most Saffie roads these days.!!

As I said local Saffie mites may have a better route and advice!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful time!! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: From JHB to Orpen Gate, via Whiteriver and Hazyview.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm 

Hallo There

We are going to Tamboti at the end of the month from JHB and would like to know how is the road from Nelspruit to Orpen gate.

And if anyone has travelled from JHB to Orpen, approximately how long drive is it.

Or do you think it is better to drive through Kruger entering at Malelane or maybe Paul Kruger gate?

And if someone maybe knows of a better option please let us know.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Orpen Gate, via Whiteriver and Hazyview.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 pm 

:hello: Can't comment on the state of the road from Nelspruit to Orpen - we stopped going that way years ago as we find that road too busy with taxis and speed reduction signs
Our personal preference is to go via Dullstgroom. Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - through the Abel Erasmus Tunnel (sometiems there are a few potholes to contend with on this stretch) - to Hoedspruit and then to Orpen - we average about 100kms an hour travelling with our caravan- but can't say how long it takes 'cause we stop for breakfast, fuel and to look at the scenery on the way there :wink:

You could go in a Paul Kruger Gate and travel up to Tamboti -We would then go via Lydenburg over Long tomPass to Sabie and from there to the gate - but that's jsut us : :)

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Orpen Gate, via Whiteriver and Hazyview.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm 

Hippotragus wrote:
Just to throw a spanner in the works - I always travel the Belfast - Dullstroom - Lydenburg - Ohrigstad - Klaserie road. OK there will be some potholes (where are there no potholes?) and there can be slow traffic over the pass. Otherwise it is a pleasant scenic route and we have never had too many stops.

Just to confuse the issue even more: I also did the Belfast route last September. I did not see any potholes between Belfast and Lydenburg, basically because I could not see the road...densest fog/mist I have ever encountered! But the road was Ok, and quite pleasant. I left JHB (Bedfordview) at about 08:30 in the a.m and arrived at Orpen gate at about 15:30 (and we averaged about 30 km/h between Belfast and Lydenburg, I still cannot be sure when I actually went past Dullstroom). If I could be sure that I had enough time, I would travel through the park, but it is 204 km from Malelane to Tamboti, and about 170-odd from Phabeni to Tamboti, and I guess about 150 from Paul Kruger Gate to Tamboti. Those distances mean some serious time in the park. I would hazard a guess that I would normally allow for 5h30 minutes from JHB to Malelane.

As regards your original question, the road from Nelspruit to White River and then on to Hazyview is only about 65 km, but you should allow about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes for this (last time I was there there was construction on the R40 between White River and Hazyview, and these caused a few delays (but that was back May of 2012). Between Hazyview and Orpen the road is good if busy. If memory serves it is about 130 km, but you should allow about 1 hour 45 minutes for the trip. That means about 3 hours from Nelspruit to Orpen?

Anyway, If you travel via Ohrigstad you can stop at the garage on the way in and buy a catapult from Steven; he is a true enterpreneur. He guarantees his "ketties" are wholly South African and not imported from China. He has different models, anything from ones that will "take out baboons" to ones for "scaring the mosquitoes". He even has a returns policy (his cell number is on each of the "weapons").
But I digress.... :big_eyes:

Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 pm 

At End of February:
1. On the N4 between Bambi Motel and Montrose (The Northern option) of the two N4 routes there were three stop-go's totalling a delay of approximately 45 minutes .
2. The N4 Southern option through the ZASM Tunnel had no construction, but considerably more heavy and slow-moving trucks. However, fter 9pm and on Sundays there are almost no trucks on this route.
3. The N4 between Montrose and Nelspruit there is ongoing construction with approximately 15 km of "no-pass" zones, which are very slow if you get caught behind a heavy freight vehicle.
4. The N4 toll-road between Nelspruit and Malelane gate is free-flow, with no delays.
5. The R40 road from White-River to Hazyview has one stop-go near Hulula Lakeside Lodge with a time-delay of approximately 25 minutes.

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

Fynbos,
We do the trip from Stellenbosch to the Kruger Park at least once a year.
From Bloemfontein to Badplaas the N1/N12 option to Machadodorp will be the quickest (but not the shortest)

The other option is via Winburg-Bethlehem-Warden-Vrede-Standerton-Ermelo-Carolina-Badplaas. This is much shorter. We did this route in reverse in September 2012. For the most part the roads are OK EXCEPT for the Warden-Vrede section (which included 20 km of roadworks which meant essentially gravel road), and the Ermelo-Carolina section,which was quite uneven and potholed. Carolina to Badplaas was OK, there are a few stop/go sections as they are rebuilding parts of the road. Note that there are also some of these on the other side of Badplaas (if you plan to travel via Barberton the next day), but these are not too bad.

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

Update Jozi (Alberton)> N4->Numbi
on 15 March I drove down to Phabeni Gate, leaving Jozi at 7pm:
> The N12 has construction from Boksburg to 5km after Daveyton, restricted to 80kph;
> The N12 between Daveyton and Ogies has 2 or 3 x 5km sections restricted to single lane as new surfacing is happening on one side. A little slow.
> I went by way of the Waterval Boven Tunnel both ways and there were no delays and minimal trucks either way (at night.)
> The last 20km into nelspruity is under cunstruction and single lane traffic, no passing, 60kph.
> The R40 road from White-River to Hazyview has one stop-go (lenght 4km) near Numbi Protea Hotel with a time-delay of 10 minutes.(at night)
> During the day this R40 is frustrating with nearly 200heavy-duty trucks per day shipping minerals from Phalaborwa via Bosbokrand and Hazyview to Maputo and then returning. :evil:

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 am 

Fynbos wrote:
Hi Albert, yes we did plan to go through Baberton on the N4 to Komatipoort, Crocodilebridge and then Lower Sabie. We also thought of Bnf, Kroonstad, Alberton, Secunda, Hendrina, Carolina, Badplaas.

I have another question. We leave KNP at Numbi Gate for Golden Gate. We wonder if we must again go throught Badplaas, Carolina, Breyten, Ermelo, Standerton, Vrede, Warden and enter the camp from Kestell. From Golden Gate we are going to Bfn. Then we are going throught Clarens on the N5.

Sorry i'm a real pain, but we are so unsure which way is the best way!

We did the Komatipoort-Baberton last September, but left the N4 about halfway between Komati and Nelspruit (cannot remember the route number? R 36?). Apparently the Baberton-Nelspruit-N4-Komati is better (quicker).
I am not sure about the N17 option (Secunda-Hendrina) but some other forumites might be able to help. I know Son Godin lives in that area.

Regarding the way back from Numbi to Golden Gate. The route that you describe is the one we followed last September (except we went via Harrismith and Phutaditjhaba, but that is because I needed to drop something in Harrismith).
I can only reiterate what we experienced last year. The Badplaas-Carolina section is OK, except for one section of roadworks. The Carolina-Ermelo section is poor. The section between Ermelo and Standerton is good to OK, and the road from Standerton to Vrede is good. The only real problem was just the other side of Vrede, where it was effectively 15 - 20 km of detours. After that the road is good. We did that route from Lower Sabie to Golden Gate, and, with 2 stopovers, we managed to be at Glen Reenen at 17:00 (left LS at 06:00)

Post subject: Re: JHB to Tamboti - best route?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm 

Dupacc wrote:
Dear Forumites

We will be off to KNP this weekend, and though we have left the Park via Orpen gate on numerous occasions, this will be the first time that our first camp will be in the Central Regions of the park. (We always had our first night in the South :) :) ).

So, I am seeking advice and my question is: what will be the best route from Johannesburg to Tamboti? :hmz: :hmz:

The reverse of the Orpen-JHB you take when you leave the park? :D

The N12/N4 to Belfast, then Dullstroom-Lydenburg-Ohrigstad-Strydom Tunnel-Orpen option and the N12/N4-Nelspruit-White River-Hazyview-Orpen options are equidistant, and will both probably take around 6 to 6.5 hours. I did the Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg route in September 2012, leaving from Bedfordview at around 08:15, and I was in Orpen at 15:30, travelling at a leisurely pace.

Post subject: Re: JHB To Orpen Gate
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm 

I have visited family near Pelgrimsrust approx. 2 months ago. The section of the R36 between Machadodorp and Lydenburg (starting where it branches out of the N4 Schoemanskloof loop) is very bad ( Potholed) and cannot be called a road anymore. Stay away.

The portion between Belfast and Dullstroom (R540) is ok. The last approx. one third of this road between Dullstroom and Lydenburg is again very bad (Potholes). If you are not very vigilant while driving here you can seriously damage your vehicle when hitting one of the potholes or cause a serious accident with possible serious results. The roads in Lydenburg are poor. The R36 between Lydenburg and Ohrigstad again have a couple of realy bad patches. I cannot vouch for the road further on.

You did not indicate if you will be towing a caravan or trailer. If so I would recommend that you rather take the road via Nelspruit, Witrivier, Hazyview, Bosbokrand and Acornhoek.

Post subject: Travelling Time Jhb-Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:27 am 

Dear Forumites

We will be going to paradise in a month's time, entering the park at Phalaborwa for our first night's stay in Letaba.

We are planning to take the Lydenburg, Ohrighstad, Hoedspruit route and would love to leave Jhb first thing in the morning, but it being a weekday, the morning peak is a problem. Also, I have a bit of a hang-up about mist and fog (after having been involved in a serious accident in dense fog years ago) so avoiding fog too has to be taken into account.

My idea was to leave Jhb early (before the morning peak; i.e. at 05:30 and go through to Pretoia.
Wait there till about 7:30; dodge the Pretoria peak and head out on the N4 towards Witbank - hopefully by then, any mist/fog on the highveld will have started to clear.

Would it be realistic to do the Pretoria-Phalaborwa distance via Hoedspruit in 6 hours; arriving at the gate at let's say 14:30?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated
Loerie

Post subject: Re: Travelling Time Jhb-Phalaborwa
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just had a quick look distance is 345 kilom so with my calc should take a little over 5hrs. So your estimate of 6hrs you should be fine.

7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:50 am 

Shushin,as i also intend taking this route,does anyone know the condition of the roads via Lydenburg-Ohrigstad etc.? to Phalaborwa

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another alternative, travel via Polokwane then cut across using the R71. At Haenertsburg take the R528 to miss Magoebaskloof, then back onto the R71 at Tzaneen then via Gravelotte to Phalaborwa. That way you can leave at your mentioned time and not have to stop in Pta. Jhbg to Polokwane is about 3 hrs, then to Phalaborwa is approx another 2 1/2 hours and its a good road.

The last time I travelled the Lydenburg road it was in a terrible state.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next