Skip to Content

Malaria precautions for toddlers & during pregnancy

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

goatia

Malaria precautions for toddlers & during pregnancy

Unread postby goatia » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 pm

We hope to visit KNP mid-November (first visit!). We will have our 20-month old (30lb/13+kg) with us. If we do visit, the precautions we plan to use include: malarone (Rx by travel doc in the US), pre-treated clothing, keep him indoors and all windows closed dusk on, slather bug lotion/ultrathon (reapply after perspiration and randomly throughout day), burn coils at the door, and and have him under a treated net for the night. We will get a bungalow with private bath and plan to keep the entire family in after dusk (any recommendations, there are so many options to sort through). We will only do self-drives.

Do you think those are enough precautions at Skukuza that time of year? While KNP sounds incredible and I am assuming this will be a once-in-a-lifetime journey, I'm wondering if we should scrap the entire idea and holiday at Pilanesberg instead. With taking all of the above precautions my understanding is that the risk would be low, but all it would take is one bite from one infected mosquito to head down a very scary path.

I would love to hear from folks on this!

Thanks kindly in advance!

tiggercat

Re: Mid-Nov. with toddler

Unread postby tiggercat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 pm

A VERY WARM WELCOME to the forum family Goatia :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I think your precautions sound to the max safe .... your babe will be just fine with doing all that you have planned and he/she will be at an awesome age to start learing about all the different animals etc in the park .......

hope you and your family have a FANTASTIC first visit, and will be the first of MANY MORE to come ,,,,

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stark » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 pm

I agree with tiggercat and think you've taken about every possible precaution available. Don't cancel for fear of malaria! (my personal opinion)

I only say this because, while you are in a malarial zone, it isn't like malaria is rampant. I'd hate to think you missing out on the camp after dark. Use bug spray/coils and light a nice fire. Simply take precautions and enjoy your trip.

I see you're from Minn! :dance: I'm originally from South Dakota, so I know you are very familiar with skeeters and how to keep them at bay. What works at home will work in Kruger. :thumbs_up:
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 am

Sounds like a wise approach!

Just to mention that we were one of the families who took our child regularly to KNP since approx. 6 months of age. That is many years ago already!

Dusk and an hour before is your priority time.

Pilanesberg ... nice ... but not in the same league as KNP!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:44 am

Wearing long-sleeved tops and long trousers is also recommended, if you do go out after dark.

Hope you have a great holiday.
The GREAT 2015 Online Auction is here. Get your bids in soon, it won't be around for ever.

JDW

Unread postby JDW » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Goatia
If you still have concerns regarding your childs health consider going to non malaria parks between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth.
Bontibok, Knysnia, Storm River and Addo are very good and a lot less crowded that KNP.
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

goatia

Unread postby goatia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks everyone, your responses and some additional research has put this Mama bear at ease.

Booked three nights at Skukuza, what fun! Now off to plan the rest of the trip...

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dabchick » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:19 am

Hi goatia!

I can add just one thing to your safety plans for your toddler (and yourself): sunscreen! with a high SPF - the sun is HOT in the Lowveld at that time of year....

Enjoy the trip :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 am

Goatia, good advice from Dabchick. I would even go so far as suggesting that you try to get a special swimsuit that blocks out as many UV rays as possible. The sun can be very fierce. I actually have one for myself... of course that's more to hide the signs of gravity :wink:

Have a stunning time. I found that Skukuza was an absolutely wonderful camp when my children were very young. :thumbs_up:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

LizelleB

Malaria & Pregnancy

Unread postby LizelleB » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am

I believe that pregnant woman are especially at risk for Malaria. Can anyone provide any advice as to how a pregnant woman can protect herself (and obviously, baby) when visiting the Kruger?
Liz

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Scipio

Re: Malaria & Pregnancy

Unread postby Scipio » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 am

Lizelle, I would say Stay Away. :?

When Pregnant, malaria prophylactics are not good at all, but if you do go to Kruger, repellants etc. is the best method.. Also if a pregnant woman does get Malaria Panado's is about the best they can do. But I am no Physician, :wink:

Then again, there are millions of people staying in Malaria area's with no problems.

Rather speak to a Quack. :thumbs_up:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

Yep! Only advice possible is: visit your doctor!
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Don't get bitten.....

With enough (or should I say the correct) repellents it is possible not to get bitten even in Moz where the mosquitoes hover like army choppers waiting to strike. :sniper:

If you go into malaria zones make sure to check the toilet bowl as they like to hang around the water..... :big_eyes:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 pm

And the showers.

In fact be very aware in the whole bathroom area.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

LizelleB

Malaria protection while pregnant

Unread postby LizelleB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

I hope the forumites can provide some advice on the following. How do/can pregnant women, who stay in or close to the park, protect themselves against Malaria?
Liz

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”