Skip to Content

Typhoid vaccination required for Kruger?

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

EOS_User

Typhoid vaccination required for Kruger?

Unread postby EOS_User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 am

Hi Guys;

We have an appointment with our nurse shortly to get our Malaria course organised, and to bump up our other jabs etc.

Nursie mentioned that a Typhoid jab is 'recommended' for South Africa; and yet we've been travelling to SA for a good few years now without any problem; but this will be our first visit to the Kruger area.

Is Typhoid a known risk in the park?

I'm not averse to having a jab; but when we did so for Kenya we were both in bed for 24 hours as a result :evil:

Thanks for any advice...

Cheers...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Typhoid vaccination required for Kruger ?????

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:36 am

I have never heard of that shot being needed?
And the risk of getting it is as good as zero.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 am

As far as I can remember there are no mandatory vaccinations for SA. The nurse at our GP is a seasoned traveller to Southern Africa and tends to class Kruger as a tourist destination, with clean water and puts the risk of typhoid as minimal. I think its only a risk if you are going off the tourist trail.

Further clarification can be had on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website which is usually up to date and also a really good website is NHS Scotland's Fit For Travel website.
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015. Voting is now open - see here for details

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am

I know a South African trained doctor now working in U.K. and she does not recommend anything other than malaria prophylaxis for Kruger.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”