Skip to Content

Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

dakine08

Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Unread postby dakine08 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:07 pm

My uncle and I are self driving the garden route and kruger. Is there a certain type of tent we should have (especially for Kruger) and what kind of camping gear? Is this something we should pack, or can we rent? We are going in July - I know it's chilly, so we want to be prepared. Any advice is appreciated!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Unread postby Hugh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:11 pm

July can be quite chilly during the night But am not the expert on tents but come on mites there are lots of you out there that can help. Have you made you booking yet ..? as it can be very booked up in July in the Kruger Not so much on the garden route though.
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Unread postby George_Brits » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Dakine08,

First of all, let me make use of the opportunity to welcome you to the SANParks forum!

There’s nothing quite like sitting around an open fire under the stars listening to the night sounds in the african bush.

Some of the best campsites in the country are to be found inside our SANParks, where visitors are well provided for in the form of clean ablutions, braai facilities and even, in many instances, power points.

In the Kruger National Park, the larger camps also provide coin-operated washing machines (a great boon for travellers) as well as outdoor kitchens equipped with hot plates and water boilers for convenience.

Among the best of the Kruger’s larger campsites are Punda Maria, Shingwedzi, Pretoriuskop and Letaba, while the smaller camping-only sites at Maroela, Balule and Tsendze offer a more rustic, wild experience without too many additional conveniences.

You don't have to use any specific type of tent, its up to you, I have seen tents and tents, of all different shapes and sizes, my advice is to choose the tent you will feel comfy in sleeping, its all depending on your preference whether you would like to stand in the tent, or crawl into the tent, each size tent has its pros and cons, I can recommend something like the Oztent RV4, stretchers, a sleeping bag with a cold rating of 0c, so you are still comfy and warm even if the temperatures drop to single digits. It will also be nice to have folding chairs, a folding table, a small gas stove and of course lightning in the shape of LED lanterns.

My suggestion would be to visit one of the outdoor retailers - Makro (Walmart), Outdoor Warehouse and Camping World for advice, prices and to stock up on these supplies.

There is a few places where you can rent camping equipment as it can be quite pricey to purchase camping items initially.

I hope this will help?

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”