Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 81  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
Hi Peter

Thanks for your insight iro camping. Bushiest, June can still be dicey, if you really are worried then opt for August, September when all the stagnant pools of water in the bush have dried up. I think that the reserves on the western boundaries are too small to offer a significant buffer zone, not forgetting that the amount of staff and families actually living in the park seems to have mushroomed significantly.

Just by the by, I had lunch with a friend yesterday who told me that she took doxycylcine when she visited Kruger 2 weeks ago. You must take one a day for 3 or 5 weeks (can't remember). She has been so ill she actually has had to stop taking them. So think that thru carefully, no one should ever stop a course of antibiotics, its bad for them and the population as a whole.

Post subject: Malaria
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All,

Apologies if this topic has been done to death

My fiance (who is from England) arrive at Kruger on the 14th April for 6 nights. She is getting a bit worried about malaria, with the recent bad rains in the Kruger

She has asked me if she should get some Malaria Tablets. I think she will be fine for the time of year, however, If anything happened to her, I would never forgive myself

I have got all the repellents etc.

Would appreciate any advice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

She has due cause to be worried , as it is we are even having infestations of certain bugs all the way here in gauteng that are usually lowveld only .
It would be stupid not to take all the precautions available , from medication to sprays .
This is the worst time of the year , from april to may .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

delbosafa I would suggest that your girlfriend take prophylaxtic drug for malaria especially as she is travelling from abroad. By the off chance she does get malaria or get infected with the parasites, she will then carry it with he back home.

I mentioned to WTM the other day, as we were talking about his malaria "obsession" resulting in him not taking is daughter to Kruger, that he should remember that areas such as Louis Trichaardt, White River, Tzaneen etc also fall in endemic malaria areas so it makes no sense not taking his child to Kruger and then taking her to a wedding in Louis Triechaardt.

She must enjoy her visit and not have any fear of malaria spoil her visit. Combine the prophylactic drugs with preventative measures such as using Tabbard etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The two most taken medications are Doxicycline and Larium.
Doxi tabs tend to affect the the digestive tract in some people. If she has a sensitive tummy it is not a good idea.
Larium is contra indicated for anyone with anxiety or depression.
The reason I am still on this forum tonight, at 10 t0 one at night, is because I took my Larium.
I just believed, for whatever reason, a mozzie had my name on it. :evil:
It can, however, put some people on a buzz :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi All

I am actively involved in Malaria prevention and eradication, and treatment thereof, in my work capacity.

I have posted a few comments on this thread regarding certain aspects of Malaria, and what to take to " help prevent" malaria.
However, as i cannot/ will not put my neck on the block, as each product or treatment regime is different for individuals as is the protection afforded.
What seems to get everyone confused are, Products to take to Prevent Malaria infection, and what to take to CURE infection.
Falciparum Malaria is the more Dangerous/ Killer type of Malaria (one of 4 malaria types)... and is found in KNP area, Northern KZN and Mozambique.
Certain preventative medicines do not work at all on Fal Malaria! So find out what you need, before spending money.

Personally, I take nothing, and nor do my family. We cover up, use repellants, coils/ candles. We reduce our risk exposure, and dont feel ill from medication (which we all experienced on a trip to Botswana and Zambia a few years ago).
Please PM me if you would like further info or debate!

KNP: 03 Jan to 12 Jan 14 (Berg n Dal, PKop, Croc Bridge)
KNP 10 May to 17 May 2013 (Malelane, Satara, Skukuza)
KNP 16 July to 26 July 14 (Croc Bridge, Tamboti, L Sabie )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ok, for someting a little "alternative", there is a homeopathic preventative available, is it foolproof? I don't know for sure, but do know someone who took it religiously in Malawi( worked there for over a year) and then ran out of it, decided not to worry about getting more and then got malaria.
So for those of you not wanting to take the alopathic medications, maybe take the homeopathic one's, which do not have any side affects, but do consult a registered homeopath before doing so.

Post subject: What type of anti-malarial, if any
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

All,

Really sorry if this thread is elsewhere, either I haven't looked properly or I couldn't find it

I really need some help here. I am going to the Kruger next Friday for 6 nights. I will be staying in the Southern Regions for that time. I am driving up from East London

I have never taken anti-malarial tablets and I am getting so many mixed responses. I have called Skukuza and they said I will be fine with just the repellent and religiously applying it. Of course, wearing socks and shoes before dawn and after dusk and that you have a 1 in 25 000 chance in getting malaria. The park has gotten a lot better. A have asked a few different doctors, some say use Lariam (I have seen the potential side effects of this and not a route I would ideally like to go down) and some say to use the spray etc as the side effects can be very severe.

I am not looking for an easy way out. I will take the tablets if I have to. I would rather hallucinate and think I am a monkey for a week or so than sit in a hospital for months and wish I had taken the tablets

I know no-one here is a doctor (although there may be a few), but the majority I am sure have been to the Kruger, so keen on your thoughts and if anyone has taken Lariam what happened

Thanks

Derek

Post subject: Re: What type of anti-malarial, if any
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Derek. I'm not a Doctor nor a Malaria Expert, but find it quite troubling that Park staff will inform you telephonically that 'you'll be fine' if you just use repellants. There is no way on Earth that they can guarantee that you will not contract Malaria and I think information like that could be potentially very dangerous. :?

delboysafa wrote:
I would rather hallucinate and think I am a monkey for a week or so than sit in a hospital for months and wish I had taken the tablets.

After all the rain the Park has had recently, I would not take a chance. I am a Lariam user and experience no side-effects whatsoever, but I believe many others do. I can think of macho mouse as an example here. I think you hit the nail on the head though. Rather think you're a monkey than get that terrible, terrible illness. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am up late tonight due to a bee sting and not Larium. :evil:
I am now into my forth Larium dose and my body has adapted. Those who react most sensitively to Larium often have a higher level of anxiety, for whatever reason.
I will admit to having taken chances in the past, but this time, mainly due to the rains, I just felt unhappy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:31 pm 

There is another alternative to Larium - it's known it as Malarone in the UK and I don't know its generic name. There are few side effects with it - I had an upset tum, but I usually do anyway in strange country. However it is more expensive and you have to take it every day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:38 pm 

Hi delboysafa - wonderful to see another member here from little old EL!!! :D

I have done the works....and with all the rain etc KNP has had and that it is still summer weather there, I strongly advice that you take Melanil - fairly expensive but with few side effects and med aid will cover the cost if you get a script from your doc.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Latest news on the artemisia compound as anti-malaria drug
so let's hope there will be a new and cheaper drug on the shelf some day

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:22 am 
Just a warning: Seems with all the rain we had people should still be cautious of malaria, even if the weather is cooler now. This past week, four people I know of, have come down with malaria in Maputo.

Post subject: Malaria Meds - To take or not???
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:11 pm 

Can anyone offer any advice on the topic of Anti-Malaria medication. I have been to a couple of doctors, and get completely opposing information from each of them - the major issue seems to be our children aged 1 and 4. Some of the doctors say that we would be crazy not to give the children the drugs, but others argue that the side effects in small children can be severe. We are visiting Kruger in June, and during our last visit in June, I don't think we saw a single mozzie... Please help - I am scared of doing the wrong thing! :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 81  Next