Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Have you or anyone you know contracted malaria in KNP?

Unread postby RemiE » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Unfortunately for me I got it twice as a kid. 1991 and 1999. Both times was due to a visit to our favourite park. Both times we used the prescribed meds and both times the doctors battled to diagnose malaria first time round. The first time round I was even wrongfully treated for something else. Both times resulted in prolonged hospitalisation. Both times was equally horrible. That said, in the past 14 years we still go to Kruger every chance we get. We do however take exceptional precaution. I tend to overuse every repellent possible, smoking up a storm with coils outside and I make sure to 'cover up' from 4pm to 9am. So far so good. But as in the previous posts said, when you've been in a malaria area and feel even slightly ill, go to the docter tell them and hopefully they diagnose it correctly first time round.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes I got malaria once in 2000.

We stayed in croc bridge and pretoriuskop during November. Two weeks after our stay I got flue like symptoms, that became so bad that I went to the doctor.

I got my antibiotics that same day. It is by far one of the worst sicknesses I ever had.

Myself and my SO also got poisoned by a batch of Mefliam anti malaria pills, that was even worse than malaria.

Best is to take enough precautions, rather safe than sorry.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Lepardfan that must have been aweful? I have my own opinions about taking those meds. I'm no medical doctor and therefore won't raise my opinion on that. Carol g, as long as you stick to the few basic known precautions you'll be fine. I'm no expert but I know those mozzies buzz silently around before sunset until a bit after sun rise. Lower joints are a preferred spot for them, hence the cover up rule, and they don't like citronella oil, I tent to apply this liberally lol. I was also told not to wear or use any fragrances based products, even shampoo. Luckily there are tons of 'plain' versions of everything.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Carol g wrote:Thanks for the advice RemiE, didn't know about not using fragranced products

I didn't know that for many years either Carol, then someone enlightened me!!!

I love to wear perfume, but have trained myself not to do so when in a malarial area. :whistle:
Thinking of Africa every day.

SAF

Unread postby SAF » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for the responses
I am aware of Bruce Bryden, read his magical book :D
Was just wondering of people like myself visiting the park
Is anyone aware of the DDT spraying in KNP?
Heard they started spraying around 2006, if it is true anyone that has contracted after that?
If You Spend Your Life Fearing The Storm, You Will Never Enjoy The Sunshine

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 am

We put on long pants and long sleeve t shirts after 4pm and we spray our ankles, arms necks with anti mozzie spray, we sleep with a fan on, we also burn large sandalwood sticks (I purchased them from a 4X4/outdoor dealer) outside our accommodation as soon as the sun starts setting, so far so good.......... :hmz: :hmz:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:25 am

I have not contracted Malaria, but I have developed tick bite fever after a recent visit.

I tend to have reactions to the medications, so I rather use repellants and large doses of Vitamin B. Thiamine (Vitamin B something) has been recommended as an extra precaution.

I go for a blood test immediately, if I start to develop flu like symptoms following a trip.

We did have one nasty scare at Tambotie. My daughter left the tent door wide open when we went for a drive. When we arrived back the room was thick with mozzies. We tried our best to get rid of the mozzies, but I did get quite badly eaten during the night.

I was particularly vigilant after that trip, but we were both fine.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

PNF
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 am

We had a fantastic time in KNP in May 2010 - caravaned at Shingwedzi and Tsendze. Took all the usual precautions but nevertheless I came down with Malaria two weeks after we returned home. Despite telling the doctor/s that I had recently returned from a Malaria area I was treated for everything else. It took them 3 weeks before one of them woke up and took tests for Malaria - needless to say they were positive! 4 days later I was finally discharged from hospital...........
When we arrived at Tsendze, Rodgers told us that Eleena had just been discharged from hospital in Phalaborwa having been admitted with Malaria. So suspect that it was there where I got bitten! KNP staff cannot take any medication and rely solely on precautions such as sprays; candles; covering up etc. and the fact that relatively few of them get Malaria proves that, for those who have nasty reactions to the medication, the precautions mentioned in previous posts do work most of the time.

F
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Mokala (Motswedi Camp) 13 - 17 May
Karoo National 17 - 24 May
Addo 24 - 28 May
Then home - maybe!

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RemiE » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 am

Glad I could enlighten you on that matter Carol g. :mrgreen: Mosquitoes are attracted to the sweetness in most scents.

Tent dweller, thanks for the sandalwood sticks, environmentally friendlier than the green stuff I light up. :tongue:

PNF it is shocking that in this day and age some doctors still wait too long to test for malaria. When I develop even a fever I go for tests, sometimes even twice as on many occasions people are only diagnosed with malaria after the third round of blood tests. I no longer use the medication, I develop nasty reactions to it, but I do take all the other precautions there is.

bushguy

Unread postby bushguy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

I know of one person that contracted malaria in KNP that manifested as the cerebral form, and unfortunately died.

My family and I don't take meds , but make sure we cover up etc.

It is a bit of a number game with the chances decreasing dramatically the less infected people there are close by. So you are less likely to contract malaria in an isolated camp, than for example in the areas to the west of KNP. The biology is also very interesting, as the female anopheles needs to have fed 3 times (and the first time on an infected individual) laid eggs 3 times, before she is infectious , so at least 12 days old. By this stage they apparently have such damaged wings that they can hardly fly!

I think the biggest problem is poor diagnosis. If you have any flu like symptoms after visiting a malaria area, INSIST on a malaria test. and another one very soon if the symptoms don't clear. Probably also better to go to a travel doctor.
Spring is sprung, Der grass is riz, I wonder where dem boidies is?
Der boids is on der wing,
Ain't dat absoid?
Der wings is on de boid!

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby NetEk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am

Not Kruger but I know atleast 2 that got Malaria at Mapunghubwe but that was years ago.
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

JeanniR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)

Unread postby JeanniR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:39 am

RemiE wrote:O, and for the little ones there is citronella oil ‘bangles’ for around their wrists and ankles. They tend to be quite fond of it after a while :lol:

I saw that. They sell them in the Park's shop. Very quick and easy to use! :)
Such is the human race, often it seems a pity that Noah... didn't miss the boat.
Mark Twain

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 am

Been going since 1999
Luckily me nor my companions never had malaria
My SO used Lariam the first time but the side effects were so severe ( feeling down and agressive ) that we
decided not to use any meds.
But know that my luck can run out

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby tent dweller » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Rooikat wrote:My aunt contracted malaria in Mopani two years ago...in January.

Rooikat, did she not take ANY precautions at all? :doh: :doh:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
SKUKUZA 04 -06 January 2016

Rooikat

Unread postby Rooikat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm

tent dweller, she used Tabard etc, but did not take prophylactics. She is a very intelligent, proactive woman (headmistress at a primary school) and was not ignorant about malaria - just chose not to take the tablets too.

For me, this has underlined the fact that it only takes that one unfortunate bite to get malaria.
KRUGER TRIP 2013

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”