Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:53 pm 

Simon6 said:
Quote:
When I was in SA last November I rented an X-Trail Automatic from Avis through AutoEurope on the suggestion of Arks.

Thanks, I have checked with AutoEurope as per Arks suggestions but according to their website, the automatic is available if you pick it up in JoBerg, but it does not appear to be available with a Kruger International Airport pick up. They do have the manual but I am leaning towards an automatic. Faster backwards getaway from those elephants! :D

Post subject: A word of caution concerning car rental
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Car rental is discussed often on this forum, please take note of the following:

Last month I went on a four week trip to South Africa. I was travelling to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and Kruger and decided that I needed a car that gave me a high vantage point. I needed a high car because the roads in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in some stretches have turned 'U' shaped by road grading. If you rent a normal sedan car then your vantage point in some parts of the park (especially the Nossob road) will be too low to see anything. I decided to rent a VW Touran as this is the most affordable car to rent if you want a car that gives you a high vantage point.

The Touran was an excellent car, it was spacious and fast (we got a TDI model) and it had cruise control which was a welcome luxury on the long straight stretches of road in the Northern part of South Africa. I will however never rent a VW Touran again as it doesn't have a spare wheel! The Touran is a seven seater car and because of the third row of seats there was no place for a spare wheel. Instead of spare wheel you get a canister filled with foam which you can use to 'fix' a puncture. In Europe this system will work fine as most punctures will be caused by pieces of glass or nails. These punctures are typically small and can be fixed with a foam canister. In Africa it's a totally different ballgame though. Depending on where you go you'll probably drive considerable distances on gravel roads. On these roads the punctures you get are usually tears in the tyre caused by sharp stones. These tears can not be fixed with the foam solution which means that if that happens to you you're basically buggered. You'll have to depend on other people to help you. In a park like the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park getting a puncture in one of the Northerns camps may mean that you have to wait for days for a new tyre to be delivered to you from Upington (400km's away). This is not something you're looking for during a holiday so make sure that the car that you're renting has a spare wheel!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

A very good observation and certainly something nobody would think of unless they were in the bush 400km away from the nearest garage.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Madach wrote
Quote:
I will however never rent a VW Touran again as it doesn't have a spare wheel!

Friends of our bought a Touran - when told that the spare wheel was option extra, they were totally amazed that the spare wheel was in included in the price of the wheel and a few rather uncomplimentary comments were passed about this issue - they did purchase the spare wheel as an option extra but was what we call a "donkey" spare wheel - unfortunately a lot of the VW and other makes are cutting down on price and fitting cars with these "donkey" spare wheels which are a real pain. Soon many other fitting/fixures in cars will be "option extra's".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I am totally appalled at the total lack of integrity of money grubbing motor manufacturers who compromise your and my safety and even endanger our lives by 'saving a bit of space' by providing the 'marie biscuit' spare wheel. They dictate by preventing the 5 wheel rotation tyre method as well as crippling you on a trip when you have to limp to a garage to fix a proper tyre.

But an aerosol can becomes like a story out of Monty Python!! I cannot believe it. Try that at Grootkolk!! Don't our local manufacturers have any input to their principals?

I will never buy a vehicle without 'proper' wheels.

A friend spent almost half a million on a 4wd Merc and was given the same rubbish as a spare!!

Sis on the motor trade!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

BB,
:sniper:
yup

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:58 pm 

This happened to us but unfortunately we didn't find out until it was too late. See here , day 8!

The way it was explained to me is this. There are 2 types of Touran, a 5 seater and a 7 seater. The 5 seater has a spare wheel, the 7 seater doesn't. So if you are renting a Touran you have to ensure that you get the 5 seater if you are going on rough or gravel roads. If you rent from KMIA rather than Jo'burg or Cape Town then they should realise that you are going to KNP and give you the correct vehicle. Or that's what I was told :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:22 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Visited the website of Volkswagen SA
Quote:
Alloy spare wheel
(not available with 7-seat option)

Rented one last year at Budget , O. Tambo airport and received a 5 seater and was shown the spare wheel.
Always try to check the quality of the spare.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

jhquinn wrote:
Anyone have an idea of the magnitude of the one-way drop-off charge (we would like to pick-up car at Phalaborwa airport and drop off in Johannesburg as we're coming out via southern gates)?

I suggest you have a look at AutoEurope, which is a consolidator that I have used many times. They usually have very good rates and you can ask them about any possible drop-off charges.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:18 am 

AutoEurope gave me a very competitive quote, I think, through AVIS...
FYI: Drop off fee to Jo'berg was 55USD. Seems reasonable enough to me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Glad that you're happy with AutoEurope and yes, it is Avis that they use from Phalaborwa — I think from some major locations they also use National/Alamo. I agree that the drop off fee is reasonable. Have a great trip!

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject: Yahoo Travel
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:53 pm 

Check the prices on Yahoo travel. This is my fouth trip from the USA and I got the best deal ever this time. No place better on earth!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:08 am 

Thank you Madach for raising this issue. Personally I think it will be a good idea for those renting vechiles to check if the vehicle has a full sized spare wheel no matter where you will be travelling. South Africa has some large distances between some of the towns and having to travel at slow speed on a "space saver tire" or not being able to repair the wheel with the "foam" will really dampen your holiday spirit no matter what your destination.

And ditto to what Bert said. No use if having a spare if it is not in good condition or inflated correctly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 pm 

I have rented a sedan with Hertz through
them
For a little extra insuranc against windshield , rim and under-
carriage damage.

During the past few years i had windshield and under-carriage
damage. Stone against the windshield and drove on a log in Kruger :redface:

Took me a bit and lengthy argument to plea my innocence.
Want to avoid this again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

blasian wrote:
Which credit cards offer more protection when you use them to hire a car? I think I saw Diners mentioned a couple of times. Just wondering so I can get a card that will give me full cover anyway so it keeps the price down. :) Is this a good idea?

Insurance cover through your CC depends a lot, I think, on in which country your card is issued. Diners in the USA provides primary insurance cover on rental cars, and IMO this is a huge benefit. But I don't know whether Diners offers this cover elsewhere. I'd suggest that you check into it, because it is worth the annual fee if you can get it.

Most other CCs offer secondary insurance cover, which means that it only comes into force after the insurance coverage you carry on your personal car. Of course, if you don't have a car (and thus don't have car insurance), this cover then becomes primary cover. But it is essential to do thorough research, because each card's policy can differ.

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next