Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:22 pm 

I'm looking for a peoplecarrier for 6 adults and luggage from J'burg for 21 days. It must have at least 3 rows of seats and windows that can open on at least 3 of those rows for optimal safari experience. I rented the VW T3 Microbus before for the exact same purpose and it was great but I can´t find it anymore. I´ve seen that the VW T5 for instance will not fit my requirements and I´m not sure about the Toyota Quantum 10 seater because I´ve seen that on some there are 3 rows of windows that can open and on some not. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I rented Quantum and it was fine
1 side 1 back window to be opened
other side 2 back windows to be opened
but we had room to move in the carrier to move
As far as i know the only carrier with 1 extra back row window, while all other brands only have 1 each side
We were 5 adults

Post subject: Anyone hired a Toyota Avanza?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there

What is the Toyota Avanza like for game viewing in KNP?

Thinking about height, clearance and window size (photographers on board :))

Hope to get some feedback.

Thanks
Janine

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Post subject: Re: Anyone hired a Toyota Avanza?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Cheetahlady,
I had an Avanza in Kruger in April last year and really liked it. With the longer grass at that time of year the extra height was worthwhile and it has fairly good clearance and of course is much cheaper than a 4x4 which isn't necessary in Kruger.
From the driver's seat it was good for photography but I was on my own so I can't comment on the back seats.
It didn't have bad fuel consumption either.
Have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 pm 

We've had a couple of Avanza's and been really pleased with them. The height is almost as good as an SUV but we found the fuel consumption to be far superior on the Avanza.

I've managed quite well photographing from the front passenger seat. Never tried the back, sorry.

Some photos to give you an idea of size

PM08 by Sara Accomm, on Flickr

Skukuza07 by Sara Accomm, on Flickr

LS08 by Sara Accomm, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you Granjan & Sara for your quick feedback. :gflower:

There are 3 of us, so it looks to be big enough. Do either of you know if you can open the back windows? We once had a Mercedes van and the only windows that opened were the front two. Made it tough for anyone not sitting in front.

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

As far as I know the avanza's back windows can open but hey if you want to make doubly sure before booking the car ask the rental company to verify it for you

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 am 

If you use the middle row of seats yes, they open but the ones for the third row I don't think so.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was going to hire an Avanza this past December.
But then changed it to an Xtrail. I have heard good things about the Avanza, but there were a lot of us, we we went for the bigger car instead.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm 

Hi cheetahlady,hired an avanza last sept for KNP trip and thought it was great.
Plenty of room,just SO and I,fairly comfortable and if I remember correctly rear windows go right down so ok for photographers.SO always travels in the rear seats so she can slide across seat to whichever side the action is happening.Third row of seats does not have opening windows.Much cheaper to hire than a 4x4 and much better fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.

Take care wherever you are.

PF.

---------------------------------------
SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 - Berg-en-Dal
6 - Skukuza
7/8 - Tamboti
9/10/11 - Shimuwini
12/13/14- Shingwedzi
15-19 - Letaba

Post subject: car rental for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm 

We will be driving to Kruger April 19, returning to the airport April 28. Three of us: me, my husband, and an adult son. I am having a hard time deciding about a rental car. If we choose manual transmission, there are more choices. My husband is comfortable with manual, I last drove a manual transmission car about 8 years ago, and our son has never driven anything but automatic. I think I've found an affordable toyota avanza, but it is manual; in automatic I am looking at a Chevy Aveo, Nissan Tiida, Toyota Avensis, or Chevrolet Cruz (all these are "or similar"). Should I play it safe and stick with automatic or can we all get comfortable with manual pretty quickly? I think our son would be a fast learner. But if we run into elephants on the road and have to react quickly, maybe that would be a mistake.

Thanks for any advice!

Barbara Hubbard

Post subject: Re: car rental for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Barbara

Welcome to the forums :)

Well honestly from my point of view if I were you Id stick to an automatic vehicle for the following reasons
1. 2 out of 3 are more comfortable with an automatic vehicle and yes it could be easy to learn but as you said what about an ellie sighting if he does get agro do you really want to be struggling with gears your barely comfortable with at a time like that?
2. Automatic is way more comfortable to drive in the park less gear up and down every 5 seconds than with a manual

well those are my opinions the choice still lies in your hands but that's what I would do

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Barbara!

The first time I went to KNP we got a manual transmission and it wasn't a very difficult transition. I've had manual transmissions in my cars in the past, but it's been awhile. It took more time for me to remember to drive on the left. :tongue: We stayed mostly in the park and only left a few times, so me shifting into 5th when I was trying for 3rd wasn't a big issue. :)

The next trip we rented an automatic and we spent more time outside of the park. Personally, I preferred having an automatic when I was driving the busy (and sometimes chaotic) roads outside of KNP, and I liked driving along in the park without a care in the world...including what to do when we had to reverse quickly from angry ellies. We rented an automatic Kia Sportage and it was a very nice ride.

I know that many people will tell visitors to save money and get the cheapest car they can, but I'm of the opposite opinion. I spend nearly every waking moment in the car, out in the park, and I want to be comfortable and have enough room for my family, our "stuff", and my cameras at the ready.

It's worth the investment to get the vehicle that will make you most comfortable. 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 am 

Thank you for the responses! Part of my problem is that I know so little about different makes of cars - I have used very few. So I have little to go by when looking for car rentals - and some companies don't even give sample models but just say "economy" or "intermediate" or whatever.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Aside from the manual/auto decision. Your other consideration is really purely space and comfort. All the normal stuff you look for when you buy a car like fuel consumption etc is not really relevant as you only want it for a short time and for a specific purpose.

With three adults space is really important. Not just luggage but you will have groceries, snacks, drinks, books/maps, cameras etc etc. I like to get a car which has room and lots of storage nooks and crannies to put odd things in!
The other thing is the model and how the windows are designed. The more visual you have the better.
I suggest you Google some of the models that the hire car companies are offering so you have an idea what they look like and the features they have. As you have noticed, you can't be guaranteed a specific model but usually those in a 'Group' have similar features. The cars you are looking at are all fairly standard size sedans. We hired a similar size one last year and for just the two of us we had it fairly full of 'stuff'!
The Avanza would be much roomier but the trade off is the manual gearbox! I would do some more enquiries with the hire car companies as to what other models in auto are available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next