Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:54 am 

madach wrote:
Hi Graeme,

Try this website for cheap car rental. I always use this company and I'm very happy with their service and rates.

M.

Based on recommendations of many people from this forum, I was going to rent a sedan via this company. However, before doing that, I specifically asked the company about "unsuitable road conditions" and if the car will be covered by insurance when driving in Kruger on gravel roads.
here is the answer:
"Thank you very much for your email. The "unsuitable road conditions" refers to the fact that should you not drive according to the road conditions in the mentioned area keeping in mind the gravel roads you will not be covered with regards to insurance. If you are speeding on the gravel roads being negligent and a stone hits up and damages the engine parts or any other part of the vehicle the car rental company
will also charge you for damages".

Such answer sounds quite woolly for me... :?

how you guys deal with this renting company if anything happen on gravel road? :o Advise or real experiences are highly welcome! :D We set off to Kruger in 2 weeks time and need to book a car quite urgently.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'm not sure this is what they mean. Don't they mean you won't be covered if you drive irresponsibly on gravel roads or drive on gravel roads that are closed? We rented a brand new campervan last year (Maui) and I asked about gravel roads (in Australia we weren't allowed to drive on gravel roads) and it wasn't a problem at all.

Perhaps madach will be able to tell more when he comes online.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:43 pm 

As far as i know you are insured :?
But lot of companies dont insure window damage due to stones.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
Perhaps madach will be able to tell more when he comes online.

What they mean is that if you drive on a gravel road and roll the car because you were speeding then you won't be covered by insurance. I've seen people in the Kgalagadi who had rolled their car because they'd been speeding on one of the sand roades. It's surprisingly ease to roll your car on a road like that if you're speeding. During that same trip some Kgalagadi staff rolled a 4x4 bakkie.
I've also seen some dirt roads in the Ceres area which should be accessible to normal sedan cars but in my opinion were only accessible to 4x4's. Should you drive on a road like that and cause serious damage to the car then I suspect that the insurance would also give you a hard time.

If you drive on a gravel road in Kruger then it's very unlikely that you'd run into any kind of situation which would not be covered by your insurance. I'm renting a car from the mentioned rental agent next month and I'm not at all worried about the insurance (and I worry easily :wink: ).

M.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There was a recent letter in the Telegraph Travel Section concerning a dispute with a SA car rental company, which I found interesting as we are also in dispute with the rental company we hired from. The response listed the following site as a possible alternative to taking out the excess reduction insurance that most companies offer, it looks like a good bet and I shall be checking out in more detail for our trip in November.

Post subject: car rental advice
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm 

If doing a self-drive in KNP, is a small car ok (Toyota Tazz at r1100) or is 4x4 needed (Nissan X-trail at r2800).
Dave

Post subject: Re: car rental advice
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A normal car is fine, unless you are planning to do one of the 4x4 trails.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm 

A tip:

We rented a car a couple of weeks ago for two days and were charged for driving 2100kms :shock: No way did we do that mileage!! So! Write down the mileage on delivery and again upon return and keep in a safe place until your bill has been settled (not on your hand as my dear SO did :D ).

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:17 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Springbokminger wrote:
I was wondering if anyone reading this has ever been in the park in a Toyota Verso?

I've done it in a Toyota Corolla, and that's lower than the Verso. This cost me a leopard sighting, at least, I did spot it, but it lay down after that and the Corolla was too low to see over the grass. The Verso might have given me the sighting.

The rear windows are smallish, that could be a problem with photography, but otherwise I'd go for it.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have never collected a vehicle from Skukuza, therefore I don't know the fleet or nos of vehicles, that are kept in the park, would be included to organise it all before arrival, too make sure that you get a vehicle and the type you require.

Post subject: car hire
Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:39 pm 

Has anyone used the RAV (Rent-a-Vehicle) company, any comments on reliability? - they can offer zero liabilty which seems comforting. They say their Nissan Xtrail isn't a 4x4 which has confused me a bit, can you get 2 wheel drive Xtrails? I know we don't need a 4x4 in Kruger but I just thought it was a 4x4 vehicle, after seeing everyone's comments we thought we'd go for the vehicle with a higher vantage point.
Thanks for any comments

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:44 pm 

Hello Daj and all forumites,

I also wanted a 4x4 but didnt find for less than R7.500. I've booked a Toyota Verso but no-one seems to give me the correct info about the car.
I even visited the Toyota company and they say that Toyota verso with 5 seats doesnt exist 'cause it has 7 seats, but Avis web page reads its 5 seats, and an intermediate van (like the one I saw this afternoon with 7 seats?).
I'm totally confused with this contradictory information. :wall:

As I cant afford Nissan X-trail at least I'd like to hire the highest car for better sightseeing.
Does anyone know how the toyota verso is?

If Verso isnt worth it, can anyone tell me if they booked with budget.co.za?
They seem to have the best prices. If you can rely on them I'd then book a VW Sharan (I imagine its a lot better than Verso).

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers :cam:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Belly wrote:
I also wanted a 4x4 but didnt find for less than R7.500. I've booked a Toyota Verso but no-one seems to give me the correct info about the car.

I returned from a trip to SA yesterday and used a Corolla Verso during this trip. The verso has 7 seats, but the last row of seats can be folded down to create a large boot space. I loved the verso and would rent it again on my next trip to SA. On previous trips I always rented a Toyota Condor, but these are not produced anymore and rental companies don't offer them anymore. The verso has a bit less space but is more fuel efficient (1:12). The verso was plenty large enough for three people.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Daj wrote:
Will you let us know if you find a good compromise?

Both a Corolla Verso and a VW Touran would be perfect for Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Daj wrote:
Can't help with the height issue or Budget I'm afraid.

Can anyone help with this one: I mentioned before that one rental company said the Xtrail wasn't a 4x4 and I asked for clarification:

Quote:
I confirm that the Nissan X-Trail is a 4WD, Automatic, 2.5, Radio/CD, Aircon, Power steering, Dual Airbags, ABS and not a 4x4.

What's the difference between a 4WD and a 4x4? I always thought it was the same thing.

Thanks
Daj

I didn't think there was a difference myself! Maybe the guy from the rental company thinks a 4x4 is a 16WD?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next