Skip to Content

Game viewing vehicle

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.

Moderator: lion queen

jekalo

Game viewing vehicle

Unread postby jekalo » Tue May 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Are visitors in the park allowed to drive in an open game viewing vehicle. If it is privately owened I mean and not one belonging to a tour group. I have a chance to buy a second hand one of these but will look at other vehicles if I would not be allowed to take it into the national parks. I will be moving to a house just about 30 minutes from the orpen gate in a few months time.
David

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Game viewing vehicle

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue May 11, 2010 7:45 pm

You need a special permit to use the open vehicles in the park. As far as know it is only available for commercial use and costs quite a bit of money - also the conservation charge for guests in those vehicles is higher and Wild cards do not apply.

While at Punda I saw folk come in with a vehicle which could be adapted quickly to an open safari style and they rode into camp like that. The camp manager told them very rapidly that it was not allowed and to convert the vehicle back immediately.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

:thumbs_up:

Also take in to consideration that KNP has strict rules as to what is allowed, and what type of protection needs to be given. If you look at the KNP vehicles, you will soon notice that there are considerable canvas coverings, that serves to hide the passengers from view. This was introduced after a few incidents where animals reacted aggressively to passengers in such open vehicles.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sat May 15, 2010 10:46 am

We have a friend who is now running a safari game viewing business in Kruger and she was telling us that SANParks are very strict and her vehicle has to go to Skukuza every year to be evaluated and have her permit renewed otherwise she cannot operate in Kruger.
Lots of other rules for them apply as well, plus she said that if they get reported for any bad behaviour 3 times their licence is immediately cancelled.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

jekalo

Unread postby jekalo » Sun May 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I had suspected that it might not be possible to use a private open vehicle in the park and your answers seem to reafirm that thought. I will go for a more conventional landy instead. Thanks for the information.
David

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”