Skip to Content

Top planning hints for your Kruger visit

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:15 pm

All huts and tents have towels and soap.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks BushBaptist

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stark » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:21 am

Hi all,

There is a very good chance that I will be visiting KNP solo next year. While I've brought along family before, this would be my first solo vacation!

I'm excited and a bit apprehensive. Any hints and tips for others that have done Kruger solo? Saffie and overseas opinions welcome! :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:51 am

Howzit Stark!

Travelling solo isn't really so different, just that you'll have only one set of eyes, and you'll be both driver and photographer. I've travelled solo most of my life, so I'm used to the luxury of being beholden to no one, tho I've also enjoyed those rare ocassions (never yet in KNP) when Ive had a travelling companion. So long as you enjoy your own company, I'm sure you'll have a fine time, and you also may find that as a solo traveller, you meet more new people than you might when you have travel companions.

I don't know that there are any special "tips" for travelling solo, other than perhaps "pacing" yourself because you'll be doing "everything" -- driving, packing, shopping, cooking -- on your own. Long solo drives can be tiring, tho I've done plenty and find that the stimulation of good sightings makes up for any tiredness. And I sleep very well after a long day. :whistle:

I also enjoy spending time in camp, just chilling on my stoep, especially when I have my preferred tents at Tamboti and Punda Maria or riverview rondavel at Olifants. A gorgeous view and plenty of interesting birdies in the trees and a good book make for a change from the driving. I find that I now am more selective about my drives and no longer feel that I must drive every road so that I won't miss anything :roll: I feel more and more that just being in the bush is a priviledge, interesting sightings are an added bonus.

I'm sure that you'll have a great trip, albeit somewhat different, but perhaps not so different as you're thinking it might be?
RSA 2014
20-16 Oct Joburg
27-30 Oct Mapungubwe: Limpopo forest tented camp, Leokwe camp
31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:29 am

Hi Stark, agree with Arks. Staying in a tent is also fine, have stayed in a two man tent with two containers and a cool box for storage and traveled to many camps before, all in a small hire car. No problems and ready to do it again sometime. Doing the opposite to you this time and taking up "executive living" in huts with some family this time.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:47 am

Stark, apart from the great advice Arks has already given you, have a look at Travelling Alone in the Park with lots more info.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Stark wrote:Hi all,

There is a very good chance that I will be visiting KNP solo next year. While I've brought along family before, this would be my first solo vacation!

I'm excited and a bit apprehensive. Any hints and tips for others that have done Kruger solo? Saffie and overseas opinions welcome! :)

Give your old mate BB a call and maybe he won't have to go alone either......
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

s2000ap

Unread postby s2000ap » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:28 pm

This may be a swear word here but as I'm arriving soon would love an answer from someone who has recently visited.
Anyone know what the malaria situation is like at the moment (March 2015)? Has there been much rain about?
Many mozzies? Mainly interested in South of Skukuza.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Mozzies occur all round in Kruger and March will definitely carry a risk so please do use all the precautions. :thumbs_up:
It just needs one bite from a Malaria carrying mozzie.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 pm

arks wrote:Travelling solo isn't really so different, just that you'll have only one set of eyes, and you'll be both driver and photographer. I've travelled solo most of my life, so I'm used to the luxury of being beholden to no one, tho I've also enjoyed those rare ocassions (never yet in KNP) when Ive had a travelling companion. So long as you enjoy your own company, I'm sure you'll have a fine time, and you also may find that as a solo traveller, you meet more new people than you might when you have travel companions.

I don't know that there are any special "tips" for travelling solo, other than perhaps "pacing" yourself because you'll be doing "everything" -- driving, packing, shopping, cooking -- on your own. Long solo drives can be tiring, tho I've done plenty and find that the stimulation of good sightings makes up for any tiredness. And I sleep very well after a long day. :whistle:

I also enjoy spending time in camp, just chilling on my stoep, especially when I have my preferred tents at Tamboti and Punda Maria or riverview rondavel at Olifants. A gorgeous view and plenty of interesting birdies in the trees and a good book make for a change from the driving. I find that I now am more selective about my drives and no longer feel that I must drive every road so that I won't miss anything :roll: I feel more and more that just being in the bush is a priviledge, interesting sightings are an added bonus.

I'm sure that you'll have a great trip, albeit somewhat different, but perhaps not so different as you're thinking it might be?

Great advice, Arks. :clap: :clap: :clap: Lindbergh did it solo too, and look how famous he became. :wink: :
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Return to “Kruger National Park”