Skip to Content

NEED ADVICE

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Latasha1985

NEED ADVICE

Unread postby Latasha1985 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Planning to fly into Johannesburg May 26th. I would like to see Cape town and Kruger National park during my stay in South Africa. Need some advice to help get my itinerary together.

Should I do the safari at Kruger during the beginning of my trip or towards the end?

What would be the best place to stay for a single person here at Kruger National Park (I'd like a private room and bathroom, shared kitchen is fine)?

I would like to stay for about two nights and do a morning and night or sunset drive, is this possible and what are the costs?

Does the costs quoted on the activity reservation page include sleeping accommodations?

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: NEED ADVICE

Unread postby Hugh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:54 pm

I presume its May this year then you must book quickly There is a flight between Cape Town and Skukuza and its very convienient and one between Skukuza and JHB
I would also look at availability By clicking on Reservations . Camps I would choose would be Skukuza as its near the airport ( you would have to hire a car if you wish to do any self driving ) but there is a shuttle service from the airport to the camp . The camp has everything you need , Places to eat , swimming pool , shops Bank Sunset drives Morning walks etc These are all booked separately from the accommodation
There is also a daily conservation fee over and above the accommodation fee .
Most accommodation is in Huts that have en suites and small kitchen area with a fridge and the crockery and cutlery is supplied and the price is for one to two people So you would as a single pay the same as for two .
I would go first to Cape town and then Kruger and back to JHB
Happy planning
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:18 am

A warm welcome, Latasha. :gflower:

Hugh has given you some pretty good advice.

If you are only saying two nights, you could get away without hiring a car if you stay in Skukuza. There are drives and walks from the camp that could be booked in advance. The camp itself is also very pleasant with all the facilities you would need.

The Skukuza bungalows all have their own ablutions. There is a premium on those close to the river. It is lovely to stay in a river view bungalow, but not essential to a special experience.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Latasha1985.

The advice given seem to be fine. There is no real difference between doing Kruger first or last during your trip, but as a lasting memory it would perhaps be best to end it off in Kruger.

Have a look at the availability at Skukuza (I agree that this will be your best option) and decide from there.

Accommodation & activities & meals are all charged separately.

Thus to sum up:

1. From your arrival fly in Johannesburg fly to Cape Town (various airline options)
2. From Cape Town fly directly to Kruger (Skukuza) - Only SA Airlink fly there daily from Cape Town
3. From Skukuza fly back to Johannesburg - (Also via Airlink)

There are of course various other camps, but Skukuza offers the most in terms of activities, libraries and amenities.

You are welcome to PM me if you need specific advice on flights etc.
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

A Free Living Guide

Unread postby A Free Living Guide » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 pm

All good advice given so far.

You can book your accommodation online at SANParks.org I would suggest you get that done as soon as possible, before booking any air plane tickers…

Personally I would hire a car at skukuza, then you have the freedom to travel around the skukuza area and can stay out all day if you would like to.

alternatively you could not hire a car, take a transfer from the airport to Skukuza (about 15 min drive), then just book a morning and an afternoon/evening activity at the reception at skukuza. The choice is yours.

If you do hire a car, drive the routes up and down the sable river, the game will be pumping at that time of the year, and make a stop in a lake panic hide, its on of my favorite places :-)

Good luck and enjoy Kruger, its one of the most special places on earth!!!

HB.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick...

Return to “Kruger National Park”