Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Leaving Car Unattended Outside of the Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 pm 

We will be entering the park exactly one week from today!

One last minute concern that I have prior to entering the park is regarding our stop at Spar in Malelane. What are your suggestions as far as leaving our car in the parking lot. Should one of us stay with the car? Should we pay one of the attendants to watch our car? What do you usually do?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Leaving Car Unattended Outside of the Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I do what millions of South Africans including my family do - I leave my car unattended whilst I go into the supermarket. South Africa undoubtedly has much to do to reduce crime in many areas, but from what I can guage, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Post subject: CLEAN>Leaving Car Unattended Outside of the Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:21 am 

Thank you for your advice Graham_5000. That makes me feel good. Overall I got the impression that South Africa was a safe place. However, I wasn't sure if I should be concerned after I learned of the parking lot attendants taking money to watch your vehicle. I've never heard of such a thing before. Honestly, it made me wonder if these attendants were the ones you had to worry about.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Take your chances. I got out of my car in a parking lot at Hazyview. Greeted the car watcher and went in to shop. Got back with my trolley and was unpleasantly surprized. Car guard standing about 50 yards off looking pretty disinterested.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 am 

Just park and do you shopping. I will be doing exactly the same in a few weeks time and will not worry about things.
I will however greet the nearest parking guy and actually ask him to keep an eye on my car and tell him that I will give him a few bucks after I have come back from the shop. This normally motivates him to watch the car. I will then happily give him a tip when I come back out with my shopping as, after all, my cameras and everything are sat in the boot of the car.
I find a smile and a greeting works wonders and I would rather go for prevention than cure. I would rather spend R5 on a tip than come back and find my car broken into or damaged.
I do this even in CPT when shopping there. The parking guys are just trying to earn a living.

I am English by the way and have been living in South Africa for 13 years and have not had an issue with this approach.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I don't mind tipping the car watch guys but what gets me is that when you get back to your car they are nowhere in sight,someone could break into the car and they wouldn't see it.
I have also found that they hold you too ransom, once I stopped and just wanted to run into the shop for a loaf of bread, I told the car attendant not to watch my car as I would only be 2 minutes, when I got home I noticed that there was a long scratch on my car, you could see that it was done deliberately, not by another car.
Now I just pay up to avoid my car being damaged

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
6 of one or half a dozen of the other :hmz: :hmz: , meaning you can leave your car and you can go into the shops or leave one of your family members in the car and then go into the shops, if somebody is going to steal or break into your car nothing is going to stop them. What we normally do is the following: my daughter and I go into the shop and my hubby waits outside and while he is waiting he is organizing the car, throwing out litter, checking that certain things are in certain places, the last bit of shopping before entering the park is the most agonizing, firstly you don't know the layout of the shop and secondly you are so close to the park you just do not want to waste anymore time, you just want to get in, the above is all according to me :whistle: :whistle: LeftyLynn have a wonderful time :D :D

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Well I shop in Malelane all the time. Just park as close to the shop as I can to make carrying things easier, and then lock the car and shop. Come out, load up, and go. The area is small, there are people about all the time, and as long as tempting things are not on display (cameras, etc) you should be fine.

At Spar if you try to park near the CNA corner of the carpark there are security guards at the ATM. Over at PNP the store door guards are always watching for trolleys to recover so again somebody is watching out.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LeftyLynn wrote:
Thank you for your advice Graham_5000. That makes me feel good. Overall I got the impression that South Africa was a safe place. However, I wasn't sure if I should be concerned after I learned of the parking lot attendants taking money to watch your vehicle. I've never heard of such a thing before. Honestly, it made me wonder if these attendants were the ones you had to worry about.

I have personally never had any problems with car attendants anywhere in the country. I think they provide a useful service in some areas, but are not that needed in other areas (although the job creation is important).

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
As ecojunkie has said, lock your valuable stuff away in the boot. If criminals see your R30 000,00 camera lying on the seat, he will be very tempted to get hold of it. The smash and grab method is used. The criminal will take a hammer or something, smash the window, grab whatever he is looking for and make a run. There is nothing that a car guard can do about that.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Well I shop in Malelane all the time. Just park as close to the shop as I can to make carrying things easier, and then lock the car and shop. Come out, load up, and go. The area is small, there are people about all the time, and as long as tempting things are not on display (cameras, etc) you should be fine.

At Spar if you try to park near the CNA corner of the carpark there are security guards at the ATM. Over at PNP the store door guards are always watching for trolleys to recover so again somebody is watching out.

Very good advice here, especially the bold part. If you don't feel comfortable leaving the car alone have someone stay with the car. Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
As ecojunkie has said, lock your valuable stuff away in the boot. If criminals see your R30 000,00 camera lying on the seat, he will be very tempted to get hold of it. The smash and grab method is used. The criminal will take a hammer or something, smash the window, grab whatever he is looking for and make a run. There is nothing that a car guard can do about that.

I agree with this and lock stuff out of sight wherever I am in the world..

Last edited by Graham_5000 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lock your stuff away and out of sight. Car watcher guy is going to consider that camera worth 30 G's a much better haul than the couple bux you're going to give him. Insurance companies pay out as much and more nowadays with all the carguards hanging around as they have ever payed out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm 

Good to rather lock the valuable stuff in your boot before you stop at a shopping center. Don't tempt by letting people see what you are locking away.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

" Wat die oog nie sien nie , sal die hart nie begeer nie " - What the eye does not see , will the heart not not want " .
The Landy is normally so loaded up and piled up with stuff , and we also try to cover anything that might seem valuable with coats , etc , that it would be somewhat difficult for a " smash and grab " :)
In any event , we try not to leave the vehicle for long periods , and also try to keep it in sight as much as possible :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .