Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:12 am 

Once you have all the applications and maps loaded on your PDA it is hard to travel without it.

It works great on the back roads(especially the 4x4 tracks). Roads not shown in the Kruger(MapStudio) guide are shown in detail on the Track4Africa software. You know exactly where you are at all times :)

Saw 2 cheetahs on the S28 this weekend and forgot to take a waypoint....Eish!! :(

Post subject: GPS advice needed
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi All,

I'm going to Kruger in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of buying a GPS unit for this trip. I'd like to be able to load maps of Southern Africa (I'm going to Deception Valley in Bots next year) and I'd like to be able to store waypoints and the route I've travelled during my trip. Saved routes should be downloadable to a PC.

I've been surfing the Internet for some hours now, but I'm still no closer to making a choice for a particular brand or model.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Madach

Whatever GPS you get, make sure you can load software called tracks for Africa (T4A)

Go look on this forum

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
Whatever GPS you get, make sure you can load software called tracks for Africa (T4A)

Thanks for the tip Loams! I'm leaning towards a Garmin eTrex-Vista and that model seems to be supported by the T4A project.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Madach

Tokoloshe has suggested the following, if you are not planning to use the GPS handheld. This is the GPS we use on our trips in Southern Africa:
Garmin Streetpilot 2610 which should come with Mapsource software and Europe City Navigator V6. This GPS can be obtained from many places, but the cheapest we found was from www.aspidshop.com Aspid are based in Portugal but ship worldwide and there is now no additional duty incurred if buying in Europe (apart from Portugal's normal 19% vat :? )

The most comprehensive Southern African maps we've found are, ironically, available for free from www.tracks4africa.co.za. T4A also produce a set of "pro" maps for a large part of Africa (except central africa ) for R460, although you can pick and choose from a selection and pay per map. We've just downloaded the set and they look pretty good.
The free maps helped us navigate from Pafuri to Inhambane in October last year although we found some of the waypoints in Mapungubwe to be slightly off route.
If you want autorouting within SA, you need Garmin City Select for South Africa. This will set you back about 300 euros - not had any experience of it, but suspect it will not be of much use outside of urban areas and certainly no use in Botswana.

Alternative GPS is the Garmin Quest which is cheaper than the 2610, but with a smaller display (also primarily for use in a vehicle). For handheld, most of the Garmin range are good and reliable, but I can't comment on mapping software compatibility as we don't use them in South Africa.

Another alternative would be to use a PDA with mapping software (again, don't know if T4A maps will work) - this has the advantage of being relatively large display and car-mountable, but also small enough to tuck into your pocket if you're on the move outside a car. All these options will allow you to upload waypoints to your PC via usb or card. (Streetpilot and Quest mapsets use CF cards for storage)

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Krokodile,

I just had a look at the tracks4africa maps and they look very promising. I am planning on using the GPS handheld, and I'd like to be able to use it on my motorcycle so it looks like I need a portable unit. I had a look at www.aspidshop.com and their prices are a lot lower than what I could find in Holland.

Krokodile wrote:
If you want autorouting within SA, you need Garmin City Select for South Africa.

I won't be using autorouting. About the only place that I've ever got lost in SA was on the Jo'burg highways, but I guess that even happens to saffies once in a while :) For the rest I use my trusted Touring Atlas of South Africa.

M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The 2610 can be mounted on a motorbike but is not suitable as a handheld.

I think you're on the right track though now you have a couple of recommendations of the T4A maps - just find something which supports their mapsets and you should be fine.

You may also get some suggestions from looking at www.4xforum.co.za

Good luck, and let us know what you end up buying!

Post subject: Gps
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You can also contact Avnic Tdg on +2711 7046147 for more info regarding your needs.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, Elsa just found this thread and pointed me here.
I have for years had a Garmin GPS with no map capability and have just bought one of the PDA based ones. It was on special from Incredible Connection and for R4000-00 odd came with an SA street map and route planner. I travel for business and it will get you where you want to go, although sometimes the route may seem a little odd.
The PDA is an Acer n35 and it comes complete with built in GPS receiver, Mains and car chargers, Autosync via a USB connection to a PC, etc.
Some of the roads are a little off and you can find yourself driving next to the N1 instead of on it (according to the scrolling map) but it is normally only a few metres out. It also has voice instructions so if you are alone in the car you do not have to watch the screen. If you venture into an area it does not have mapped it tends to sulk and says nothing until you get back to a known road. The software is supposed to be upgraded in Dec. this year. Hope it has all the KNP roads!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for all the tips.

I thought long and hard about which GPS unit to buy. The main reasons for buying a GPS (besides it being a toy) for me are:

1. Registring the routes I travel (for instance in Kruger)
2. Being able to save specific locations (for instance sightings)
3. Basic off-road navigation
4. Auto routing
5. and last but certainly not least: use on my motorcycle

As expected I didn't find a device that would excell at all these things. In the end I had to decide between two models: the Garmin GPSMAP60C and the Garmin Quest.

I decided to buy the Quest as it offers voice guidance for automatic routing which is a huge bonus when using it on a motorcycle. I'm hoping it will do the tracking and basic off-road stuff well enough. The units were sold out so I'll have to wait another week to try it out. Should anybody think that I've made the wrong choice please let me know.

PS: I'm looking for a Kruger NP map now for the Garmin Quest. Does anybody know if such a map exists?

M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi again Madach

T4A maps should cover this and you can add in any other waypoints, either as you go, or from other peoples lists. We have some waypoints we are happy to share if you wish - let us know. There are also some waypoints listed on this website, which you may find useful.

Download the maps first and copy to your CF card and subsequently to your Quest using the Mapsource software supplied by Garmin.

Tokoloshe says it's a good choice of GPS - if it had been out when we were looking to buy ours it would have been a serious contender.

This website has some good advice on using a GPS on a motorbike and you will probably see quite a number of references to the Quest!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Krokodile,

Thanks for the advice. I thought KNP was not included in the T4A maps. I've purchased T4A Maps Pro, and I've just now had a look at the maps. I must say I'm impressed. The Kruger map looks perfect for my needs.

Cheers, M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Madach,

I only saw this post now. The Quest is a very good choice. I am not an expert on GPS's but I know that the experts do rate it very high. For what you want to do it should be realy sufficient.

Have fun!

BTW, I have a Garmin GPS V, which was superceded by the Quest. I am more than happy with it, and it is a nice tool to use in Kruger to save those special sightings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I also have a garmin gps V , very nice and sturdy unit .
I never knew about the tfa website , another great find
after the discovery of this forum :D .

I would go for any garmin gps simply from the point of
view that it is the best locally supported make , and
there are lots of reasonably *sort of* priced goodies to
go with them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Cant get the tracks for africa web site to work , any ideas ?

*edit* new url http://tracks4africa.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next