Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:27 am 

You will have no problem driving. Might be hot if you go in summer.

There are also a few gravel roads that you should try and avoid. Not that you need a big vehicle for these roads, it might just be a bit rough on a smaller car.

One that comes to mind is the S120.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 pm 

bert wrote:
You wont have any problems
Always see a few citi golfs driving around in KNP

Got to agree with Bert here. Your normal sedan will do quite well in KNP. Take lots of water if you are going in summer!!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We went directly through Avis. They were competitive and the rate included all insurance. They have a depot local to the Kruger, so if anything goes wrong we would hopefully not be without a car for too long. I'm not sure that would be the same with some of the smaller companies and to be without transport for a couple of days would be a major hassle.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
From Switzerland too, directly through Avis...

Post subject: car hire
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 pm 

check out a web site "holiday cars" never had problem with them and been in airport car hire firms when others have had probs and we have just sailed through. they based holland i think but you have option of picking what you want and phoning through booking with no extra cost
si

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:38 pm 

Hi Toneyridge, try a website called www.autoreservations.com. They will try to find the cheaper option. Enjoy the trip. :clap:

Post subject: car hire
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:44 pm 

Thanks for everybodies advice. We have found a company called Carhire 3000 they look unbeatable.
Can't wait for November

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 pm 

toneyridge, we have also looked at carhire 3000, nova carhire are competative to, might be worth a look?

Post subject: car hire confusion
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:36 pm 

hi all,
looking for some help with car hire in the kruger area if anyone can help. we are flying into nelspruit kruger mpumalanga (MQP) on 2nd august 2008 at 11.20 am.
and want to hire a car here to travel through kruger and then drop off at phalaborwa airport(PHW) on the 6th august 2008 outgoing flight is at 5.50pm. every time i try to book the rental companies either say there is nothing available or it will only come up with KMIA airport. what is the story with the different airports in nelspruit?
does anyone know about airport car hire? is there rental companies at the airports i am flying in and out of? also is it difficult to pick up and drop off at different airports, i thought this was pretty usual for travellers through kruger?
sorry, i know there is a lot of questions there but if anyone can shed some light i would be very grateful, im very confused!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sallyanna, it is certainly possible to pick up a car from KMIA and drop it at Phalaborwa, I did the reverse last September. You might want to try AutoEurope, a consolidator that I have used since 2000. They subcontract with Avis at KMIA and Phalaborwa. You will be charged a one-way drop off charge at Phalaborwa, but you shouldn't have any problem with booking a car. Unless of course there is some special activity at that time, but that seems unlikely. Good luck with getting a car organised and have a great trip!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Posted a response under airport question. You will have no problem. Avis even have an office at the small TSB airport near Malalane!

Post subject: Car rental advise
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After seeing other posts on this subject I checked Avis T&Cs. Basically, they don't prohibit it but state that the driver is responsible for any damage caused by driving on unsuitable surfaces and the liability could be double the actual damage costs. So I guess I will be doulbly careful on the gravel.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm 

Hi Rayb.

I would have to assume that we are talking of travelling the roads in KNP since you are planning your trip there in the near future.

In my experience, the roads in KNP, are or have been in great shape. Even the sand roads have been very good.

This was the reason I asked for fellow forumites to post comments about the KNP roads in the road report post.

As long as you drive within the speed limits, I cannot see any potential problems of having to face any form of liability by driving on sand roads in KNP.

If you ask Jumbo, however, he will warn you to be on the lookout for other road renegades that may pose a bigger threat than the condition of the roads.

I offer this based on exposure to KNP roads only after mid to late March up to around late September. I have never been in KNP is summer so that may have a material impact.

I would go so far as to say that my experience of the sand rods inside KNP are better than some of the tar roads outside.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi BH,

From my point of view it's mainly KNP but we are going to KZN. I mainly posted it for general information as I have seen the topic mentioned in other threads. The trackways around some of the viewpoints could be a potential risk if you are not careful. The other think it mentioned was water damage, so summer floods need to be considered. You could quite easily wreck an engine and that would be expensive.

Mind you, I scraped the underside of a combi on the boulders that line the camp roadways :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:48 pm 

You summed it up nicely by saying "being careful".

As long as you drive carefully, there should be no problems at all.

There was a thread that mentioned the view site close to Skuks, (Mathekenyane, I think) and if I recall, was considered by some to be a road that is not in great condition.

The last time I went up there was back in 95 in ex SO's almost brand new car and I lived to tell the tale.

Bottom line is the roads are good and the risk low. If you drive carefully and pay attention, the risk is even lower.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next