Skip to Content

Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
User avatar
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2254
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby Stark » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 pm

JenB wrote:
Is there another rule if a non SANParks link is approved of then it is free?

Sort of yes.
That makes provision for links to websites like the Honorary Rangers, research projects and such which are sanctioned by SANParks.
What is the process to have SANParks approve a link?

Please write to the email address in the first post and an application form will be sent to you.
The mods will send it on to SANParks to confirm the project/website is sanctioned by them.


Thanks Jen. I don't have a link to share, but I do enjoy the links of others and an glad to hear it sounds like they will stay.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

User avatar
PRWIN
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby PRWIN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 am

Dear Members,

With the approval of Nedret Saidova, Senior Manager: E-Business, a new project will be launched on the SANParks forum. All proceeds will go to the Honorary Rangers Virtual Region, feedback will be given on what project these funds will be used for.

This project will allow members to include links in signatures at a fee. Any forum and sanparks.org links will not be affected.

The guidelines and structure:

1.This service is only available to members that are in good standing with SANParks and the HRs with a minimum post count of 20.

2.Websites promoting the following businesses or causes will not be considered: Accommodation, Nature or Game Reserves, Safari Companies, Application and Sightings Groups, Forums, Webcams and any business which is typically "off topic" on this forum.

3. Only one link per signature will be allowed.

4. No banners in signatures.

5. The link may not be promoted or included in posts.

6. Neither SANParks or the VHRs endorse the products advertised.

7. Only links as per application and approval from the VHR's may be displayed. Links can only be changed during the term of agreement upon written agreement from the VHR's.

8. To prevent paid links to be flagged for removal a code will be provided to the member which has to be included in his signature. Any links in signatures where this code is not included will immediately be removed according to the rules.

9. Members will pay for a link for the duration of one calender year. The moderators undertake not to remove paid links during the course of the year of agreement and should a link be removed by the member beforehand, no refund will be considered.

10. One change per year permitted to accommodate website changes etc. provided that the new link relates to the original link.

11. Once an application has been approved, the banking details and reference for payment will be given and proof of payment must be emailed and confirmed before the link may be posted.

12. The charge will be:
R 240.00 per year (or part thereof)for private links.
R 960.00 per year (or part thereof)for commercial links.

13. All links which fall under this new structure have to be removed before the 28th of February 2014 and paid links will be in effect from the 1st of March 2014.

An application form can be requested by sending an email to: spsignaturelink@gmail.com

Thank you for your continued support!


Question :big_eyes: to sanparks

Can a web site address be included on a photo as the photo is already a promotion tool for sanparks as per a copyright signature or is a copyright signature also now not allowed :hmz: :big_eyes: .

User avatar
PRWIN
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby PRWIN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 pm

:|

User avatar
DinkyBird
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 45755
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:54 pm
Location: Somerset West, Cape Town

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi PRWIN

PRWIN wrote:Can a web site address be included on a photo as the photo is already a promotion tool for sanparks as per a copyright signature ...

No. You cannot included a website address on your photo. You obviously may copyright your photo, and protect your intellectual property as you are doing now by using your name "2014 PR Winnan", but not by using your website address on photos posted here on these forums.

Please see Rule # 17:
17. You may not use any part of these forums to establish, promote, maintain or provide, or assist in establishing, promoting, maintaining or providing your own commercial services.


Should you wish to advertise your photo website, please see the first post on this topic as to how to go about this.
Sawubona
Dalene

User avatar
Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:54 am
Location: In Limbo

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby Imax » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Well, that then removes me from further participation on doing the birding challenges.

Sorry Sanparks, but i am not changing my watermarks to satisfy you and have my photos get pinched across the web.

I find this whole thing a bit absurd, websites are measured on the number of hits they generate. Hits are generated due to the cross sharing, mentioning and linking between sites. This is the power behind social media and the crux of the exsitance of the web.

User avatar
PRWIN
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby PRWIN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Imax wrote:Well, that then removes me from further participation on doing the birding challenges.

Sorry Sanparks, but i am not changing my watermarks to satisfy you and have my photos get pinched across the web.

I find this whole thing a bit absurd, websites are measured on the number of hits they generate. Hits are generated due to the cross sharing, mentioning and linking between sites. This is the power behind social media and the crux of the exsitance of the web.


:big_eyes: I agree with you Imax and this looks like the end for me as well

User avatar
DrPhil
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

PRWIN wrote:
Imax wrote:Well, that then removes me from further participation on doing the birding challenges.

Sorry Sanparks, but i am not changing my watermarks to satisfy you and have my photos get pinched across the web.

I find this whole thing a bit absurd, websites are measured on the number of hits they generate. Hits are generated due to the cross sharing, mentioning and linking between sites. This is the power behind social media and the crux of the exsitance of the web.


:big_eyes: I agree with you Imax and this looks like the end for me as well


And so we the forum users are robbed from future images from great photographers...... :wall: :wall: :wall:
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby arks » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Imax wrote:Well, that then removes me from further participation on doing the birding challenges.

Sorry Sanparks, but i am not changing my watermarks to satisfy you and have my photos get pinched across the web.

I find this whole thing a bit absurd, websites are measured on the number of hits they generate. Hits are generated due to the cross sharing, mentioning and linking between sites. This is the power behind social media and the crux of the exsitance of the web.

Agree totally on both the absurdity and the alienation of this ill-conceived money-grabbing initiative. It doesn't appear to have generated many new "commercial" links and it has alienated many valued forumites. SANParks should clearly give this a rethink -- and hopefully scrap it as a serious error of judgement.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

User avatar
PRWIN
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby PRWIN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:23 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Hi PRWIN

PRWIN wrote:Can a web site address be included on a photo as the photo is already a promotion tool for sanparks as per a copyright signature ...

No. You cannot included a website address on your photo. You obviously may copyright your photo, and protect your intellectual property as you are doing now by using your name "2014 PR Winnan", but not by using your website address on photos posted here on these forums.

Please see Rule # 17:
17. You may not use any part of these forums to establish, promote, maintain or provide, or assist in establishing, promoting, maintaining or providing your own commercial services.


Should you wish to advertise your photo website, please see the first post on this topic as to how to go about this.


I do not understand how one can be allowed and not the other, :hmz: if you google my name you will still come out at my web pagers and even more sights where I advertise my photo's for commercial gain. :shock: so what's the difference if I place a signature on the photo just giving my web page address. It is not a direct link to the sight and that sight is to show my photo's only and does not break rule #17

So actually what you saying is that you cannot even put your name on a photo as you are breaking the rule as a person can google you and still come out by a web site you have which fall's into Rule #17

User avatar
MATTHYS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 45388
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:30 am
Location: Worcester, South Africa

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby MATTHYS » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 am

Dear Imax, PRWIN, DrPhil, Arks and all other valued 'mites.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about this new project.

Advertising on the forums and linking to personal and commercial websites have always been against the forum rules and this will remain so. Nothing is being taken away from any of us.
This new project is offering all of us an opportunity to advertise and have links, but in a controlled way, within the rules and doing so at a nominal fee.

The funds raised via this project will go to the SANParks VHRs and I know that where these funds will be applied will meet with your approval. Please see the Chairperson's Annual Report : 2013 - SHR Virtual Region.
aquila non capit muscas

User avatar
PRWIN
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby PRWIN » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 am

Thank you MATTHYS for the reply but does not answer the question asked in the quote below

MATTHYS wrote:Dear Imax, PRWIN, DrPhil, Arks and all other valued 'mites.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about this new project.

Advertising on the forums and linking to personal and commercial websites have always been against the forum rules and this will remain so. Nothing is being taken away from any of us.
This new project is offering all of us an opportunity to advertise and have links, but in a controlled way, within the rules and doing so at a nominal fee.

The funds raised via this project will go to the SANParks VHRs and I know that where these funds will be applied will meet with your approval. Please see the Chairperson's Annual Report : 2013 - SHR Virtual Region.
PRWIN wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:Hi PRWIN

PRWIN wrote:Can a web site address be included on a photo as the photo is already a promotion tool for sanparks as per a copyright signature ...

No. You cannot included a website address on your photo. You obviously may copyright your photo, and protect your intellectual property as you are doing now by using your name "2014 PR Winnan", but not by using your website address on photos posted here on these forums.

Please see Rule # 17:
17. You may not use any part of these forums to establish, promote, maintain or provide, or assist in establishing, promoting, maintaining or providing your own commercial services.


Should you wish to advertise your photo website, please see the first post on this topic as to how to go about this.


I do not understand how one can be allowed and not the other, :hmz: if you google my name you will still come out at my web pagers and even more sights where I advertise my photo's for commercial gain. :shock: so what's the difference if I place a signature on the photo just giving my web page address. It is not a direct link to the sight and that sight is to show my photo's only and does not break rule #17

So actually what you saying is that you cannot even put your name on a photo as you are breaking the rule as a person can google you and still come out by a web site you have which fall's into Rule #17


According to the above you are breaking the rule by just putting your name on the photo as that is also a link to your web site if googled, so if you place a website signature or your name that is not a direct link to a site you are breaking the rule under rule no 5(5. The link may not be promoted or included in posts.)Your name is a link if googled sorry

User avatar
Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:54 am
Location: In Limbo

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby Imax » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:59 pm

MATTHYS wrote:Nothing is being taken away from any of us.



I beg to differ, as already you have two people who will no longer share photos on the forum, as once again, I am not changing my watermarks and protection of my photos for one websites bureaucratic rules.

As this rule is enforced more photographers will stop contributing, thus its the whole forum in the end that has something being taken away.

Just as a matter of interest, the links have been removed, when are all the photos with links or names to be purged off the forum?

User avatar
Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Trichardt, MP

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby Son godin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:42 am

stevenjm wrote:Hi forumites / moddies,

I have run the process to remove all external links that do not have sanparks.org in them, there were some with mixed external urls and sanparks.org - these have also been removed.

In total only 132 signatures were removed.

Thanks


Stevenjm,

Are you going to remove links from posts as well and signatures that are not links, but hidden links, because the author just took out www. and left the name of his blog or website. To open these hidden links you only require one step and that is Google search.

I've noted by only browsing a few posts that active and hidden link in signatures are still visible, as well as links in post. The action to remove signature links are not fair if you don't apply it for each and every post and photo's included. What about links inside Youtube videos as well. Are you going to scrutinize each and every post and video. I see that there are many loop holes and only those that were honest and wanted to share a few non-commercial blogs are affected by the signature links being removed.

How will I know that a signature link is legal and been paid for? The fact that only 132 links were removed I suppose it will be easy to have a sticky page showing the links of the few that did pay.

Posting on SANPark Facebook page allows one to add a link and your FB name in itself is a link to website info , so why was the decision taken to alienate people from the forum, while another internet media allows the use of these links. The answer is that sharing links on Facebook can't be blocked and have no impact on SANParks, beside helping to promote the parks. The very same applies for the forum and no difference should be in rules between posting here and on Facebook as long as you not advertising a product. By just posting a photo with your name on you are in fact advertising your work. Now that links to photographic sites on photos or in signatures need to be paid for, posting photos with the photographers names should not be allowed as well, unless the poster also pays to post his/her photos.

User avatar
Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:54 am
Location: In Limbo

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby Imax » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 am

well said, Son godin :clap: :clap:

User avatar
saraf
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8719
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: Portsmouth, England

Re: Paid links in Signatures - New VHR Project

Unread postby saraf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 am

According to the above you are breaking the rule by just putting your name on the photo as that is also a link to your web site if googled, so if you place a website signature or your name that is not a direct link to a site you are breaking the rule under rule no 5(5. The link may not be promoted or included in posts.)Your name is a link if googled sorry.


@PRWIN. The rule you have highlighted specifically mentions a link not a name and your interpretation is not one we will be using, now or in the future. Our aim here is to attain a happy medium were people can advertise without spamming other members. We do not ask people to remove their name or other copyright watermarks, other than a website address, and we never will. As stated by Dinky Bird above you are currently compliant.

@Imax. We are really sorry you feel like this.

@Son Godin. I will refer you to the reply made above, we do not interpret a name as a link. I'll pass on your technical questions to Steven and the rest is Moderator policy and not under discussion.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?


Return to “Chill Room ”