Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to engage Universities in Conservation
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

Hi,I am a newie on the forum and would like to get some ideas on how to engage Universities more in conservation efforts. I am based in Tanzania and I feel our Universities here need to get more involved with nature conservation if sustainability is to be achieved. Any tips? Thank you
. :)
Sufu

Post subject: Re: How to engage Universities in Conservation
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WELCOME to the Forums :)

What a great idea im pretty sure a mite here might be able to answer your question :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Sufu!

My first question would be how much contact have you had with your Universities there? Have you been a student or attended any of their Open Days or corresponded with their Science Department? I ask because most of the research and involvement of Universities is not known to the general public unless a particularly important finding makes it to the mass media.

If a University offers degrees covering conservation, environmental management, biology, ecology, zoology etc then they will most likely be actively doing research. A quick google search revealed a lot of excellent research work in conservation which is already taking place in Tanzanian unis. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi,

I am a post grad student in plant taxonomy here in South Africa. Speaking from my experience here, I think that each side needs to be accommodating of the other (as in all situations in life!). Students and professionals need to realise who their end users are and make useful classifications that are quick and easy to understand in order to get an ID and related info the field. On the other hand (and this is where I really speak from experience!) The park authorities also need to come to the table and minimise the red tape involved in getting permits for the collection of material. I do realise that the aim of permits is to control the amount of illegal poaching (yes for plants too), but the way things work here is that most times genuine research is inhibited while the illegal demolition of populations continues unabated. Just my 2c worth!