Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you like to assist with Kids in the Parks?
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ja, the "Tier" Now for the english viewers here. A "tier" is a tiger, but the older generation called the Leopard, a "tier" :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Concert practice time over and the goodie bags packed into boxes and hidden away ready for the next day, the kids were rounded up for some team building games .... ( and to get rid of some excess energy I assume before we made them sit down and concentrate for a while )

The kids started off by dribbling a ball between some coke bottles with a nifty home-made croquet mallet .... the lucky few in the front of the queue got to do it with tennis balls but as the game progressed the poor kids at the back of the queue got table tennis balls – sneaky as they are a lot harder to control and way lighter than a tennis ball ....

and smacking it through a blue pipe .... and round some orange cones ....

Then they had to toss 5 camelthorn seed pods into a bucket from a distance – each one that landed in the bucket was a point for their team ... and no, you don’t stand there and hurl armfuls of seedpods with gay abandon until you get 5 into the bucket – you only get 5 to throw – period !!! That needed some serious explaining I’m afraid and some serious checking up on .....

Then a hop through the tyres on the ground and a crawl through the oil drum...

Once out the oil drum they picked up 5 rubber rings that they had to throw over 3 different coloured stakes that were hammered into the ground ... yellow stake was 20 points, red was 10 and the blue one was 5 points .... ( I think ...)

There was lots of screaming and yelling encouragement and huge dramatic sighs of exasperation when it came down to the wire and the last few kids got to throw their rings – the kids were eagerly watching the scoreboard as the game progressed and were yelling the odds at their poor team members no end – no pressure there !

One last photo I have to share with you is of our first group of Philandersbron kids – the grade 4’s and 5’s – a really sweet group of kids ( they lulled us into a false sense of security I'm afraid as their slightly older counterparts who came next were a different kettle of fish entirely :slap: ) ... after the games had finished they were hanging around waiting for us to pack up so they could climb in the bus and go back to the hall.... the sun was setting and all was peaceful until one bright spark decided that he saw something on the far dune ... dis n leeeeeu !! Everyone hurtles to the fence to see this lion he is convinced is lying on the top of the dune – there’s lots of argueing and shouting and pointing ... wait ... now there’s 2 of them .... a male and female ( naturally ) .... everyone is convinced they are lions – they call Jannie Bok to come and see – no, he can’t see anything ......Henriette gets her camera and takes a photo of the lion shaped lump ( we all know those don’t we) on the top of the dune .... and we zoom in on it – no, sorry guys, it’s just a bush we tell the kids ..... YES, insists half a dozen of the boys, there ARE lions – and one screams “ hier kom hulle !!” ( here they come!) .... All hell breaks loose as 50 kids turn en masse and stampede for their dorms all screaming at the top of their voices .... no pictures of the stampede I’m afraid – I was too busy trying not to get run over – but here’s one of them all looking at the “lions “ .....

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Never mind the lions - checkout the colors in the sky - amazing!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :lol: :lol: Scouter - thanks for all the pics and stories, just love it. KIDS :hmz:
never a dull moment
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks WKK - the sunsets were truely stunning - I never tired of taking photos of them ....

Leanawel :thumbs_up: - the kids were just lovely ( besides a few in the next group that you'll hear about soon :wall: ..)

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, WWK, I should have posted this one too ... the final result of the sunset after the lion scare ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scouter, now I need a new keyboard! This one has been drowned in coffee! :lol:

I can just picture the bus ride! :lol:

Waiting for more!
:popcorn:

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:D :D :D - thanks Jen - glad you could picture it - it really was an experience ... and the only time I ever heard Mariska even raise her voice a teeny tiny bit was to tell the kids for the tenth time that it was a wildebeest and NOT a buffel - she was always SO sweet and patient but I think they even got to her a bit on that bus ride :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks a lot Scouter! Those sunset photos just makes me think again :hmz: ... you can go to the zoo to see lions, but sunsets like that, and the ambiance that goes with it is unique to the Kgalagadi. I believe some people go there for the wrong reasons :?. We are leaving for Kgalagadi in 3 day's time (mainly Bots side). Top of my "to see and to do" list are those glorious times at dawn and dusk - to see, hear and smell nature. If a lion or 2 comes wandering by... it will be a bonus :) . I do not believe one must go "hunting" for animals the whole day - that is not what Kgalagadi is about (the lack of good roads is a testimony to that) - you need to experience it with all your senses and by staying put at one spot is almost always the best way to do that.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Heck yes, I agree with that :thumbs_up: That's what I love so much about the Kalahari - the vastness, and the dust, and the early morning stillness of just being one with nature, and the silence that is so loud it hurts your ears and the incredible sunsets and the wonderful cloud formations ..... hope you get a few thunderstorms brewing too - they are awesome !!

Ag, what can I say... I know it will be INCREDIBLE so enjoy every moment as I know you will :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Scouter
Thanks for the bit on the bus - you have a way with words and I have a vivid imagination. The result : me howling with laughter
You certainly have brought his trip to life for us - thanks sooooo much :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Aw Gandalf :redface: - thanks so much - so glad you are enjoying this epic drama .... I must admit I was howling on the bus too, but not with laughter :tongue: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:40 pm 

Hi scouter,

Your sunset photo's are very nice. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes because i know that area very well. For 9 years i was in the Kalahari, Mier, Rietfontein area, every winter. It brings back fond memories.

Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much Dikkes - and so glad you are enjoying it.... the Kalahari and its people are just wonderful :thumbs_up:

Sorry for the delay - internet been down for a few days but I'm back now and working on the next episode ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 am 

I just wonder the children are all Afrikaans, do they get the English or even the other very complicated name in Latin too. Or because of the young age of some just Afrikaans. And are there any nicknames. Children have a big imagination and sometimes they have a name for a bird / tree / animal which is so superbe that I wonder why adults never see it that way?
By the way I do love the pictures. You should make a book...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next