Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Would you like to assist with Kids in the Parks?
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much Dotty, Crested Val and mostly picnic for turning the page for me :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

After lunch ( sarmies and an apple and pink Nesquick milk) - the kids went back to their dorms to practice for their concert.....

Jannie Bok marching them back in 2 straight stripes ...

And with strict instructions to the teachers to not let them sleep – under ANY circumstances :rtm: we could have some R and R – ha ha - not really ..... The first Tuesday we spent cleaning the hall after the carnage of lunch – we only did this with the first group, after that we got wise and handed out the brooms and the kids swept the floor while others cleaned off the tables – sarmies eaten in the heat make a LOT of crumbs :wall:

We then packed the goodie bags while the kids were out of sight – it was fun and I never got tired of doing it ....Pick n Pay is amazing and everything is sponsored by them – they got a T-shirt, a cap, shopping bag ( purple or green or navy this year) with the Kids in Parks logo on the side – ( when I got home I opened my cupboard to get my old shopping bags for a quick trip down the road and one of them I took out had the KiP logo on the side – I was amazed as I’d never noticed it before !! ) with a cute waterbottle,

An orange, a packet of chips and an energy bar – the fruit juices were packed into the freezer so they were nice and cold for the kids on the bus ride home ... Mariska and Henriette packing the goodie bags ..

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Scouter
Would appear we former Girl Guides have a lot in common :)
Loved the bit about "grace" - please keep it coming... Am loving the whole story. Just wish I could have been there with you lot.....
Found a book with some interesting snippets on indigenous trees on its way to the kids - maybe I should put you in touch with some publishers and you could have a chapter on the Camel Thorn?.. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Gandalf :thumbs_up: - seems we do !!! I think that scouting thing gets into your system and never leaves ...

ooooh the camelthorn tree .... I'm just happy I learnt so much about it - it really is fascinating :D

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

One of the other afternoons I managed to go on a very short drive for an hour or so while the others had a bit of a rest after packing the bags, but the second group of kids we had REALLY wanted to go for an afternoon drive to look for lions , so Jannie Bok and Oom Bassier loaded them into the bus with Mariska and myself and we went for a drive just up the road towards Kamqua ...

Angelic looking , aren't they :twisted:

So how do I describe the journey to you all so you get an idea of what it was like ? Will it suffice to say that I staggered off the bus saying “NEVER AGAIN” or would you like the gory details ... ? Let’s see if you can picture it ....

50 kids in the bus – all of them over-excited about the possibility of seeing lions and everyone bouncing from one seat to the other ...... a boiling hot afternoon – mid 30’s , lots and lots of dust ......lots and lots of f#rting and interesting smells wafting around the bus constantly ( the darned bus is airconditioned so all my frantic plea’s to open a window to get some fresh air fell on deaf ears :big_eyes: ) ....... and some interesting flatulence noises too ....... and the whole bus literally erupting every time we saw something ....

I do ask that you please excuse the spelling and try and read it phonetically – it’s so hard to capture their accents but I do want you to get the full experience – please let me add there’s absolutley NO disrespect intended in any way to these awesome, awesome kids but it’s hard to explain unless you’ve experienced it yourself and I would like you to get a taste of it .....

“ KYYYYYYK DAAAAARR - dis n SPRINGBOK!!!!! Every kid in the bus leaps up and rushes over to the RHS leaving the bus driver wrestling with the wheel and the bus in imminent danger of toppling over ( not really, I jest :tongue: ) ..... Dis n BUFFEL !!!!!!!! isssi n BUFFEL ( isssi = is nie = is not ) ( wildebeest = buffalo to them, the same as leopard = tiger hmmmmmm, maybe thats where the tiger on the bus comes from ?? :doh: ) ..... issss.... KYK KYK KYK DAAAAAAAR - dis n EEEEEERDMAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!! ( erdman – which is what they call meerkats – literally an earth-man cause they live underground and stand up straight like a human ), naaaaaay, dissi n erdman nie, dissa muishond, nay MAN !!!!! ITIS n erdman , ISSSSIIIIII , ISSSSSSSSS !!!!!!! (apparently if you shout louder and longer than your friend you can convince them that YOU are right and not them – who knew ?????) ........... kyk, dis nogga SPRINGBOK neeeeeee, dis tweeeeeeee, dis n mannetjie en n wyfie , issssssi, dis tweeeee mannetjies ....... issssssssssssssssssssssss .... kykie GROOT HOOOOOORINGS ........ KYK DAAR!!!!! KYK KYK KYK !!! DIS N DRAAIJAKKALS --- ISSSSSSSSIIIIII - ( a draaijakkals is either a battie or a Cape fox – depending on who you ask – very helpful I know, I’m sorry, and I’m just as confused as you are right now – I asked lots of people and got either one of the two answers every time, so ja... you choose ) - with literally 30 of the 50 kids all yelling at the same time !!!!

I soon learnt to desist from telling them if I saw anything (kinda mean I know, but I did show them the slender mongoose – it’s a swartkwasmuishond in Afrikaans ( a black brush on account of the black tip to its tail) ( if anyone is even vaguely interested ha ha ) - and we spent a good 10 min watching him which they all enjoyed – in relative silence too , thanks to Jannie Bok telling them to pipe down NOW or they would scare it away !) but I couldn’t take the bashing on the back of my head or the poking or the heavy breathing down the back of my neck or the pounding the back of my seat or the SCREECHING in my ear by all 8 boys who were squashed onto a 3 seater bench behind me ( they are kinda small) .... By the time we were on our way back to camp I was curled into a ball pressed up against the window whimpering softly to myself and Jannie Bok was wandering up and down the bus giving sharp pokes to the unfortunate few who had dared to fall asleep .... Needless to say my head was pounding and my stomach churning when we eventually got back to Gemsbokplein – but the kids loved it, even if we didn’t see any lions ..... and I would do it all again in a heartbeat ... :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm 

Scouter that is brilliant! Those of us who live in the Cape are at an advantage I know but reading your account out loud is priceless! Those of you who helped out at the camps have been amazing and I salute you all!! I'm sure you were all exhausted at the end of your stint! - looking forward to the rest of your adventures.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Scouter I AM STILL LAUGHING :D :D Been there done that .. but with 60 little boys for a whole week.x2 ( and once was to Namibia!!)The usual was "Tannie ek voel nie lekker nie"...this usually gave one about three seconds to produce a get sick plastic bag . !!! But those kids of yours looked delightful . though on second thoughts I may not volunteer to go on KITP .. I feel I am just too old !

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SandyS :thumbs_up: - thank you, I'm so glad you are enjoying it !! It was brilliant - and there's a bit more to come .......

Yes, maybe I should have prefaced this episode by asking that you read it out LOUD in as heavy an accent as possible to make it sound even better :tongue: :tongue: but I'm glad that at least the "Kaapenaars" will get it !

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hey Hugh - yip, so you know the feeling hey :D - at least the trip was short enough not to have to use the sick-bags !! Glad it brought back happy :twisted: memories ! I think we definately need to get you roped in next time ! Don't think I could do a Namibia trip though :big_eyes: ....

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scouter, the names are sooooo cool. 8)

Erdman, being Meerkat etc. It was great. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:03 pm 

Hugh wrote:
.. I feel I am just too old !

No, you are not too old :D !

LOVING this report, Scouter :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm 

Great report Scouter!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Scipio :thumbs_up: - ja, I learnt so many things that were just brilliant as I'm sure you did too !

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And my thanks to you guys too MATTHYS and Div for commenting and I'm so glad you are enjoying it too :gflower:

And Hugh, as MATTHYS says, you are NEVER too old, least of all you with oyur awesome sense of humour :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scouter, I had to ask a few times what a cartain name is. The little ones rolled on the floor laughing at my questions. :lol: :lol:

Love your report. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Scips, I'm sure the kids found us just as amusing as we sometimes found their quirks and especially their names for things .... the number of times I had to patiently explain that no, sorry, there are no tigers in the Kalahari and you could just see the little cogs going round in their brains and them thinking "ja, RIGHT .... what does she know .... ouma and oupa says there ARE .....and what does this doff Engelswoman from Cape Town know anyway ... " but they were really sweet and never told me so :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next