[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Bryden, a tribute
Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:25 pm 

At 18:00 I received a text message:

"Cheers Uncle Bruce! Matt, Wild@Heart and Loams. A Game Ranger is remembered."

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:03 pm 

What a loss ! I sincerely hope his family and friends will cope with it. Our thoughts are with you. Time will heal the acute pain of the loss, but you were lucky to have such a 'larger than life' person amidst you....
I bought his book, read it and got passionate about Kruger and conservation. I offered the book to many European friends and visitors ( I must have bought at least 20 ) and they all returned to Kruger with a knowledge and respect for nature and the animals gained through Bruce's book. The most special memory : I read about Anneke, Belgian, 38 years old, single mother of 3 and terminally ill of cancer. I invited her for a 2 week holiday and she came with her youngest son and a friend. They hade a wonderful time, bonding and relaxing. She started reading the book here and managed to finish it before she passed away. Het last e mail said : I will surely live in the Bush 'Up There' ! Bruce, I'm sure you will meet her 'Up There, in the Bush' and she is eager to learn more, sharing a Castle or two ! Be prepared to continue your work in an land for us unknown.

Post subject: Bruce Bryden - Famous ranger dies of malaria
Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 am 

How come KNP mentions nothing in their Newsmedia section of this amazing man?Skukuza - He faced off against charging elephant, hippos, lions and buffalo, but in the end it was the miniscule mosquito that brought down one of South Africa's most famous game rangers.

Bruce Bryden, 61, retired Kruger National Park head ranger, renowned conservationist and author, passed away last week after contracting malaria on a fishing trip in Mozambique.

He and some friends went fishing to celebrate his birthday and, despite continually spraying themselves with mosquito repellent, he was bitten.

He later complained of flu-like symptoms, but didn't realise it was malaria. He was then admitted to a private hospital in Knysna on Friday where he passed away on Saturday.

Mother Nature cries

"It is said that when a big tusker (elephant) or a great spirit passes, Mother Nature opens her heavens and cries. On May 16 one of her favourite sons died and she cried. Maybe even more than me," said his daughter, Annie Baptiste, in her tribute to her late father.

She said he was a "large man in more ways than one" and that he did everything on a large scale.

"There are so few people who can say they have really lived. Bruce was one of them," she added.

Started career in 1971

Bryden was born and grew up in Johannesburg, and was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of the Witwatersrand and an honours degree in wildlife management from the University of Pretoria.

In 1971 he started his career at the Kruger National Park as a graduate assistant biologist and progressed through the ranks until he was promoted chief ranger in 1983. He held various other posts at the park, including head of conservation support services, until his retirement in 2001.

He and his wife Helena moved to Knysna where he wrote the bestselling book A Game Ranger Remembers, a collection of stories about the life of a bushveld conservationist that was published in 2005.

He is survived by his wife, two children, a grandson and granddaughter. I believe he was also Kobie Kruger and her hubby's boss at the time when they were stationed in Kruger. He was still a good friend of them in Knysna - I believe. I just want to send my condolences to his next of kin. I never met him, but I do believe he had a passion for our beloved Kruger and all animals thus will be missed.

Post subject: Re: Bruce Bryden - Famous ranger dies of malaria
Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 am 

PS. I don't want to be accused of copy writing, the article on Bruce Bryden was on News24.com and written by Vinni Dlamini - African eye

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Naomirsa - there is a long thread in the honor of Bruce Brydon. I will find it for you.
Here you are.

Last edited by Micetta on Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

link to tribute
here you are naomirsa :D

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 am 

One of the great personalities in the history of KNP. Regards to his family.

Rob

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:18 am 

Those of you that have not should read his book "A game ranger remembers". Whilst not an autobiography it does give a small insight into some of the times he had in Kruger. A very special person and shall be sadly missed.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:05 pm 

My sincere condolences to the family. I did not know him (the MAN) but read a book he wrote. One could sense he was not an ordinary man just by reading between the lines.

Just curious as to why this is not mentioned or written in 'Latest News'. It is usually the first thing I look at when I open SANPARKS.ORG website. Or, did I miss it? I had to find out on News24.

Anyway, a salute to you Bruce and thank you for the legacy you left behind. I am sure many folk have great things to write about you and so, for those of us that did not know you, will be learning more about who you were.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We have just spent a week in KNP and I kept thinking about things in Bruce Bryden's book. How well he described all the things that go on in the Park.

Imagine my horror, when logging onto the Forum on my return, to read the dreadfully sad news.

Condolences to his family and close friends.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:47 pm 

Greetings all!
I know my message is 6 months late but I guess a tribute to great man can be made at any time
I am currently reading Bruce's book and cant put it down- Enjoy his experiences and wished some to be my own- I feel I know him personally although never had the privilege of meeting him.

Thank you Sir for sharing such a wonderful life with us and for all that you stood for and what you did for conservation!

Always remembered and your book shall always have a place in my library

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:45 pm 

What a cheerful man and many fond memories of visiting Bruce and Helena at their Rangers house at Shingwedzi where their Brown Necked Parrot kept us amused all the time. A great ranger always hands on in the field and sad we wont see him anymore down Knysna way

5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 am 

He was an icon and as kids growing up in Skukuza in the 80's we admired him tremendously. When I saw his book about two years ago I immediately bought it and read it cover-to-cover over a weekend.

He was a larger-than-life person and I can hear his laughter at the Skukuza tennis courts on Saturday's.

Cheers!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Finally managed to get hold of Bruce's book, "A game ranger remembers". Bought it in Swakopmund at Swakopmunder Buchhandlung, which proofs that the man's legend is not just restricted to South Africa.

What a read, can not put it down, and with the family visiting, I get the beady eye from time to time.
:shock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bennievis, I have finally gathered my thoughts together to write a trip report on my experience with Bruce Brydon on a Sandriver Bushcamp trail. It changed my life.

My "Meandering down a road less travelled" recalls my very special experience. A remarkable man, a gaint of Africa.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next